The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Dec 23, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #7,741 of 9,165
When you hear the Mk2 wih the V3,I wonder if you experience hissing while the music is playing?
I auditioned both of them together. Although the sound was amazing, I couldn't get around the little hiss playing in the background.
FYI, I don't hear a hiss though when not playing anything/the track is on pause.

I own both the AK100 and Mk2, and through the V6 there is no hissing at all. Background is the darkest and quietest out of other DAPs that I've tried/owned. Maybe it's your recording/file source?

Dec 23, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #7,742 of 9,165
AZ,

I didn't notice it during the ~20 minute audition I gave the unit I bought (they didn't have a demo due to low stock levels, I had to twist their arms to get them to break out a new unit for me to listen to), but I haven't listened since I got it home a few hrs ago. It's currently on charge, I intend to give it a hr or so session in a couple hrs, I'll get back to you after I've done that later tonight.

Edit - Just had a 45 min session with the device, no hissing during playback; EQ/boost off, volume = 38, various 16/44.1 FLAC's.

When you hear the Mk2 wih the V3,I wonder if you experience hissing while the music is playing?
I auditioned both of them together. Although the sound was amazing, I couldn't get around the little hiss playing in the background.
FYI, I don't hear a hiss though when not playing anything/the track is on pause.

Extra edit - Eskimo - Seems the 'VBR MP3 getting cut short' issue isn't happening with all VBR MP3's, just some. This page has a few posts re: the issue, and as I said in my post on the PP, there are others.

Dec 23, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #7,743 of 9,165
AZ,

I didn't notice it during the ~20 minute audition I gave the unit I bought (they didn't have a demo due to low stock levels, I had to twist their arms to get them to break out a new unit for me to listen to), but I haven't listened since I got it home a few hrs ago. It's currently on charge, I intend to give it a hr or so session in a couple hrs, I'll get back to you after I've done that later tonight.

Edit - Just had a 45 min session with the device, no hissing during playback; EQ/boost off, volume = 38, various 16/44.1 FLAC's.

Thanks man for finding out. Probably it's the V3 unit but I really loved the pairing though.
Big difference between the stock and Mk II.

I own both the AK100 and Mk2, and through the V6 there is no hissing at all. Background is the darkest and quietest out of other DAPs that I've tried/owned. Maybe it's your recording/file source?

I'm sure it's not. I switched the cards between stock and MkII and the stock one did not hiss at all.
I think it was the faulty V3 demo unit. Thanks for the input though....

Dec 23, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #7,744 of 9,165

Thanks man for finding out. Probably it's the V3 unit but I really loved the pairing though.

I'm sure it's not. I switched the cards between stock and MkII and the stock one did not hiss at all.
I think it was the faulty V3 demo unit. Thanks for the input though....

It might not be the V3 since there wasn't any hiss with the stock.
Might be a problem with the AK100mk2 instead?

Dec 23, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #7,746 of 9,165

No probs :wink: Yep, considerable difference between the Mk I & Mk II. I was initially surprised by how different when I began listening to the Mk II. Took me all of a couple of minutes to decide to buy it ;-D

Where in Aus did you find a MkII to audition??

Addicted To Audio in Melbourne has the AK range (both 100's & both 120's).

Dec 23, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #7,747 of 9,165

It might not be the V3 since there wasn't any hiss with the stock.
Might be a problem with the AK100mk2 instead?

It must have been between the two. Either way, I only had a limited time with them so I could not make further conclusions.

Dec 26, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #7,748 of 9,165
Listening to Amsterdam Concertgebouw radio through my Mac, then comparing with the MkII, I'm not overwhelmed by the benefits.
I expected a bigger difference between sources.

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #7,749 of 9,165
  Listening to Amsterdam Concertgebouw radio through my Mac, then comparing with the MkII, I'm not overwhelmed by the benefits.
I expected a bigger difference between sources.

What headphones are you using? And do you use any kind of additional DACs/Amps with your Mac?

I am not trying to defend the AK100 here,but if you feel that it does not give much difference then it might just be not your cup of tea.

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #7,750 of 9,165
So far just EQ7 Ortofon.
I received it today.
Will run it through other Heads and IEM.
I like its airy sound, no emphasis on any register, neutrality, but I feel it's lacking dynamics and attack.
I'm just pairing it directly on the Mac.

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #7,751 of 9,165
So far just EQ7 Ortofon.

I received it today.

Will run it through other Heads and IEM.

I like its airy sound, no emphasis on any register, neutrality, but I feel it's lacking dynamics and attack.

I'm just pairing it directly on the Mac.

My AK100 was uninspiring with my Westone W4Rs and Sony XBA4IPs but was wonderful with my Klipsch X10is and HD800s which have a higher impedance. Dynamics and attack; I agree with this as being the issues I was having

Dec 26, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #7,753 of 9,165
If you get a chance to try it with what you currently own, go for it. Should you go out & buy an AK100 without listening first in the hope it lines up well with the IEM's/headphones you currently own & sell the device at a loss if it doesn't pair well with what you have ? I wouldn't. But that's just me.

Dec 26, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #7,754 of 9,165
Received it as a present. Where I am, it's not easy to just try devices
(and to really try it you need to keep it at least a few hours with you).
I have two questions so far : first, as I don't really need it to be portable,
but just a small form factor DAC/headphone amp for my home office,
aside my main system, where should I look to ? ALO's Pan Am ?
second, will pairing the AK100 with an external amp (ALO's again,
Cypher Labs, or JDS Labs) give it more dynamics ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back