The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Dec 26, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #7,756 of 9,165
An external amp will solve your problems , the DAC on the AK100 is great, so why not just look at a headphone amp?

Yes, why not.
ALO ? JDSLabs ? Cypherlabs ?

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #7,759 of 9,165
There is no true line out for AK, so using an external amp would be double amping. Though there are some who claim using headphone out at max volume acts like a true line out since the sound is very clean.
I am curious on how RSA Intruder compares with ADL X1 and ALO International with AK100. Anyone had any experience? :)

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #7,760 of 9,165
Yeah, an amp makes the impedance thing on the Mk I a non-issue. And yep, that's right, the lower impedance on the Mk II makes it a fair bit more 'forgiving' with regard to which headphones/IEM's will sound 'good' (being a very subjective word anyways, which is why I said try it & find out).

Dec 26, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #7,763 of 9,165
There is no true line out for AK, so using an external amp would be double amping. Though there are some who claim using headphone out at max volume acts like a true line out since the sound is very clean.
I am curious on how RSA Intruder compares with ADL X1 and ALO International with AK100. Anyone had any experience?
smily_headphones1.gif

I have tried ALO International with my AK100... only issue is, i aint got the money.

Dec 26, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #7,764 of 9,165
there's the Centrance M8, Venture Craft Typhoon and XDuoo which does optical input from the AK100. That would skip the issue of not having a true line out.

Yep, but it would be nice to have the option to listen to the house signature DAC of the AK100. If I wanted a transport I would have gotten a cheaper DAP for that.

I have tried ALO International with my AK100... only issue is, i aint got the money.

Did you try from the HO or Optical?
The ADL X1 looks interesting and it's cheaper as well. Nice to have an option to use a sabre dac with the AK

Dec 27, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #7,765 of 9,165
Finally finished reading all 518 pages of this thread. Lost 20 IQ points in the process (some of the....nonsense...at various points...sheesh), which is a worry given I only had 22 to begin with. My work here is done.

Edit - Have had the device since the start of the week so have given it a good workout, am happy to answer any questions anyone has as well as I can (about the device itself; I'm not obsessed with this whole audio thing like a lot of people here so I don't have masses of different headphones/IEM's I've tested it with).

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #7,766 of 9,165
Finally finished reading all 518 pages of this thread. Lost 20 IQ points in the process (some of the....nonsense...at various points...sheesh), which is a worry given I only had 22 to begin with. My work here is done.

Props to you man....you sure know how to practice self-abuse. I wouldn't wish reviewing this entire never-ending-post-from-hell on my worst enemy.

Dec 28, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #7,768 of 9,165
My driveline: 

ALAC/AIFF -> RWAK100S (2 x 32GB SDHC) -> ALO Audio SXC 22 -> ALO Audio International -> SXC 24 (mini-balanced) -> FitEar ToGo! 334.

My thoughts:

1. Current setup: Neutral presentation. Not analytical. Good staging for IEMs. Acceptable, but not overpowering bass. able to fit the stack in my jacket/rear pocket, which comes in handy when travelling.
  2. I do feel that amping improved the AK100 from stock. I am aware of the impedance issue with the International (22 ohms), but did not notice any decrement in presentation.
  3. As for swapping out the OEM headphone cables and the upgrade to the RWAK100S, I would be lying if I said I was blown away by the difference as it pertains to the 334s. I do have the HD800, which I have yet to use in the portable setup (gotta find an adapter to fit into the 1/8" input on the International).

Cheers,
Tim

Dec 29, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #7,770 of 9,165
I originally purchased a stock AK100 and the ALO Audio Rx-Mk3-B but returned the latter due to excessive hiss. I had no problem with the stock AK100 once I switched to the ALO International, nor have I had any problems with hiss since converting to the RWAK100S. I typically keep the gain set to low. On the occasions when I have turned the gain to medium or high, there is a definite rise in the noise floor, with detectable hiss between tracks. I do not notice the hiss during playback, however, and I do appreciate a slight expansion of the soundstage when I increase the gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back