The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Dec 6, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #7,667 of 9,165
i think i'm a kid of my generation.....we where all cr"appled"....and we went to be used to shuffle. I actually like ALL my music, so the shuffle thing is quite addictive. Still, i love having full albums from time to time, nothing better! 

and yes, i love this little machine too, and i just found out that taking time to adjust a personal EQ is SOOOOOOOO precious! 

Dec 6, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #7,668 of 9,165
I guess I should try selecting a genre and shuffle and see what happens seeing I have another AK.

I just select "all songs" and shuffle. As stated seem to get no problems through one play through usually, but if I have to turn it off and back on then I start getting repeats every now and again. Also that problem with the same songs playing consecutively? It turns out I had turned off shuffle without realizing.. oops. Still annoying that the shuffle seems to reset after the unit is powered on/off and that you seem to get stuck in a kind of shuffle playlist which you can only change by manually selecting a different song, thus resetting the "shuffle playlist".

Also, how did you find the DX50?

Dec 6, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #7,669 of 9,165
Different animal. Sound similar but different features. Storage, outputs, gain, USB-OTG vs USB-DAC, size, build, UI, FW, responsiveness, etc... DX represents great value but I still was missing the AK.

Dec 7, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #7,670 of 9,165
I don't think so. That's why we need generous MKII users to share their system folder, and we copy it to our modded device to let the update installation recognize ours as MKIIs.

I did the test a few days ago. I had MKII's system folder replace mine. It was to no avail. SQ remained the same. If left me wondering how exactly the firmware update identifies MKII.

Dec 7, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #7,671 of 9,165
could anybody tell me if there is a way to show the doubles in the ak100 once you open it on your computer? 

Dec 8, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #7,672 of 9,165
One feature I used to love with iPod and iTunes was you could create random playlists from music saved on PC and transfer to iPod.  So if I had 250GB of music on PC, I could create totally random selection of 32GB of songs and then iTunes would copy them onto the iPod.  Do you think there is any way to do this with the AK100?  Right now I am copying whole albums over using Explorer and I would like to have a more "random" selection.

Dec 8, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #7,673 of 9,165
Well, I am so "old" that I am used to listen to albums, so I never do the shuffle. For me each album is made following a concept. Therefore I like the songs to always come in the same order as intended on the album ... I suppose it is a question what one is used to. I grew up with vinyl and I am using it again. Therefore I am so happy with the AK100 because I can listen to highres tracks on the go.

On Monday I bought the Bowers & Wilkins P7 to use with the AK100 and I must confess I have never had search a good sound portable before ... so far I am enjoying this combination.

Dec 8, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #7,674 of 9,165
  Well, I am so "old" that I am used to listen to albums, so I never do the shuffle. For me each album is made following a concept. Therefore I like the songs to always come in the same order as intended on the album ... I suppose it is a question what one is used to. I grew up with vinyl and I am using it again. Therefore I am so happy with the AK100 because I can listen to highres tracks on the go.

On Monday I bought the Bowers & Wilkins P7 to use with the AK100 and I must confess I have never had search a good sound portable before ... so far I am enjoying this combination.

I am pretty old too but I enjoy the variety of shuffle play when I am exercising at the gym with my AK100.  Anybody know the answer to my question about iTunes random song selections?

Dec 8, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #7,675 of 9,165

Of course albums are excellent listened to through the way it was intended. Especially specific albums that seem to flow like a story, but I'm not concentrating enough on the music while at the gym or at work so you lose the effect. Shuffle is best for me for these environments. I think a mixture of shuffle and whole album play- through is great :)

Dec 9, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #7,676 of 9,165

I am pretty old too but I enjoy the variety of shuffle play when I am exercising at the gym with my AK100.  Anybody know the answer to my question about iTunes random song selections?

Of course albums are excellent listened to through the way it was intended. Especially specific albums that seem to flow like a story, but I'm not concentrating enough on the music while at the gym or at work so you lose the effect. Shuffle is best for me for these environments. I think a mixture of shuffle and whole album play- through is great
smily_headphones1.gif

yep, you're both right, but well i think THE thing is to have the CHOICE  when you pay 600$ for a machine! 

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #7,679 of 9,165
Sorry, can't do any comparison review yet since i don't have enough time...
But from a very short test, the obvious difference is in the volume.
AK100Mk2 at 50 steps would be around 54-55 steps for stock AK100.

Using 1964ears V6,
In a very short test with Fallout Boys - Phoenix (16 bit flac)
No noticeable difference in the bass region

In a very short test with Inception - Time (16 bit flac)
Might be my mind playing tricks, but feels like the AK100Mk2 has a slighty deeper/tighter impact in the bass region.

Dec 10, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #7,680 of 9,165
Awaiting for more impressions and reports of possible sound signature change over time (run in).

Quote:
  Sorry, can't do any comparison review yet since i don't have enough time...
But from a very short test, the obvious difference is in the volume.
AK100Mk2 at 50 steps would be around 54-55 steps for stock AK100.

Using 1964ears V6,
In a very short test with Fallout Boys - Phoenix (16 bit flac)
No noticeable difference in the bass region

In a very short test with Inception - Time (16 bit flac)
Might be my mind playing tricks, but feels like the AK100Mk2 has a slighty deeper/tighter impact in the bass region.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back