The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Dec 1, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #7,636 of 9,165
HELP: before tomorow, End of the black friday promo I need to décide which IEM to buy to become my alternative " non Leaking " option to my TH900 that i love:

JH's ROXANE or 1plus2 ? ! ( i have a RWAK100. :)

Dec 1, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #7,639 of 9,165
compared RedWine moded AK100 unamped to iBasso DX50 amped with T1. IEMs used 1p2.

i like DX50 amped a lot but comparison shows RWAK100 outclasses DX50 even when DX50 amped. RWAK feels more refined, spacious, more black velvet space, easier flowing and more black space between notes. DX50 holds a lot good for itself and is far cheaper DAP but talking in pure music terms i would give good edge to RWAK. each DAP is a joy to hear but RWAK is still the best portable solution while DX50 will sound its best amped but can feel a bit edgy and sharp unamped.

music listened in testing side by side:

and more Clannad works (could not find Chillout version i have at home on youtube but these compilation are enough)

Gintaras, I think "whoever" wants a comparison between ak100 and red wine IMOD :xf_eek:

Dec 1, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #7,640 of 9,165
Capri, i was posting just my impressions from using both players, not answering someone's question. I do not have iMod so cannot say anything.

Dec 1, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #7,641 of 9,165

Hmmm, so what are the Black Friday Promo's for the ROXANNE & 1p2 please?

Black friday only for JH, not 1+2.  Look at JH Facebook page.

Dec 4, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #7,644 of 9,165
Hi All,

Wondering if anybody use ak100 or rwak100 as a transport to use for a desktop dac.
Any comments or inputs?
Perhaps if compared to ak120, would there be a significant difference?

Thanks

I'll see if anyone posts about this today. If not I'll set it up tonight and report back to you
Regards
Trev

Dec 4, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #7,646 of 9,165
Hi All,

Wondering if anybody use ak100 or rwak100 as a transport to use for a desktop dac.
Any comments or inputs?
Perhaps if compared to ak120, would there be a significant difference?

Thanks

I have used it as a transport and it works very well. I don't think there would be any difference between AK100 and AK120 because the audio is staying as data and passing straight to the optical out, not going via the DAC chips (I think). As far as I know there's no difference in that circuitry between the 2.

I don't really have a comparison for direct comparison with the AK100 because my laptop only offers USB. I've tried USB from laptop vs optical from AK100 and couldn't tell any significant difference (other than some very slight possible clarity differences where the desktop DAC was stronger via optical than USB). As a straight transport, my feeling is the AK100 is clean and true.

Dec 5, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #7,650 of 9,165
The shuffle on this DAP is so messed up. Playing songs multiple times in one session, and recently it's started playing songs by Blink 182 twice in a row.. then I also noticed it was shuffling to songs that have the same words in the title. For example, "Stay at Home for the Kids" went to "Stay at Home for the Kids" again (Blink 182 songs keep repeating for some reason), then went to "Stay Stay Stay" then to some other song with the word "stay" in it, can't remember which.

What?! Seriously considering selling this for the DX50. A good shuffle like the iPod is important to me, this isn't good enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back