The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Nov 27, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #7,622 of 9,165
Keep in mind that 200x200 is optimal for me. Daveystone uses 350x350/500x500 which will obviously be better to view and it's just a matter of preference from there.

I curently don't have any IEMs to use on the go with the AK100, but I do have my trusty Blox earbuds for these
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #7,624 of 9,165
I've recently just finished hunting down some IEMs for my stock AK100. I finally settled on the well-regarded and relatively cheap Vsonic GR07 MkII. Being a dynamic transducer with a 50 ohm impedance, I hope it will not be effected by the AK100's 22 ohm output impedance. That output impedance sure makes you look hard for a suitable IEM. Other suitable IEMs I had been considering were: Brainwavz B2, Shure SE535 SE(red), and Westone W4R but decided against them for varying reasons including availability, sound signature, and build quality.   

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #7,625 of 9,165
Page 308 you can read more,,, and there is also a review (http://www.head-fi.org/t/536342/review-vsonic-gr07-labor-of-love) seems they work really good with ak100 and they really not expensive.
Cool,,, thanks,,,

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #7,626 of 9,165
  Page 308 you can read more,,, and there is also a review (http://www.head-fi.org/t/536342/review-vsonic-gr07-labor-of-love) seems they work really good with ak100 and they really not expensive.
Cool,,, thanks,,,

Yeh, I came across that review as well as several other positive ones here on head fi and elsewhere. I hope it sounds just as nice and coherent out of the stock AK100, but I'm not expecting anything breathtaking. They should arrive on my doorstep tomorrow so I will chip in with my $0.02 after a week or so of burn in. I'm particularly interested in how the sound quality compares with my DT1350 supra-aural headphones, which have been recommended by iriver themselves as a good pairing with the stock AK100.  

Nov 27, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #7,627 of 9,165
Do you know the AKR01,,,Its sell together withthe AK100 in a bundle. But is only have 16Ohm.

http://www.amazon.com/Astell-Kern-AKR01-Balanced-Armature/dp/B00ET92I30

Here on iriver:
http://shop.iriverinc.com/index.php/astell-kern-akr01.html

Read something about it or know somebody who have experiences with these?

Nov 27, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #7,628 of 9,165
- Artwork: I have almost all of mine at 600x600, which looks nice on other devices, but only the AK100 gives me grief on a large portion of them. I've never been able to pin down exactly what makes it work on the AK100 or not. I'd guess 500x500 should safe, while trying to keep the filesize low (i.e. JPEG compression high) as much as possible

- IEMs: Recently was on a trip including very long flight times, and I thoroughly enjoyed the AK100 with my Hair Audio Tzar 350. (Though I'm not much of an IEM user, but still listened to plenty of varied gear) Thanks to their high impedance, there is no technical issue with any flavor of AK100, even un-modded. And of course they also sound great in any setup.

Some apparently think they're bright, but I don't like that either and am particularly sensitive to sibilance but have not had any such issue with the Tzars. They're rather audiophile-ish neutral (cold?), so I add a bit EQ boost on the low end (and one of the positive aspects is the AK100 EQ being pretty decent. (All this IMHO of course)

Nov 28, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #7,629 of 9,165
  Do you know the AKR01,,,Its sell together withthe AK100 in a bundle. But is only have 16Ohm.

http://www.amazon.com/Astell-Kern-AKR01-Balanced-Armature/dp/B00ET92I30

Here on iriver:
http://shop.iriverinc.com/index.php/astell-kern-akr01.html

Read something about it or know somebody who have experiences with these?

Sorry mate, I have no idea about these but they seem promising because they are designed by Final Audio and it is being marketed by iriver as complementing stock AK100. 

I'm kind of confused about the impedance of the AKR01 and how it doesn't fulfil the 1/8 rule with stock AK100. Similarly, none of the other headphones and IEMs recommended by iriver for stock AK100 fulfil this rule. And neither do the 2 IEMs that I've just ordered (VSonic GR07 and Fischer Audio DBA02) do either LOL 

I am an audiophile noob, so I'm sure that I'm missing something here...

Nov 28, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #7,630 of 9,165

It happened to me twice so far. The player stays on all the time but will not boot up. If it's the case, there are only 2 solutions:

1) Wait for the battery to discharge completely and recharge it again.

2) Open the player, disconnect the battery and connect it again.

Thanks for the advice. Hard reset didnt work so I left it overnight unplugged. Now it is charging and working like a charm.

Nov 28, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #7,632 of 9,165
The only companies who mod the AK100 and selling them with warranty are in US. Thats bad for people like me living in Germany.
But i read also that some people like some IEs more with the 22Ohm. So they build an adapter to get the 22 Ohm again. So they can choose.

I will buy the stock one in Germany.

Question:
I ripped with EAC and made cue sheets. Does the AK100 have problems with these when I let them in their folders?
The IBasso for example have problem with them and thats why they should be deleted in the folders to get it faster.

Nov 28, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #7,633 of 9,165
The only companies who mod the AK100 and selling them with warranty are in US. Thats bad for people like me living in Germany.
But i read also that some people like some IEs more with the 22Ohm. So they build an adapter to get the 22 Ohm again. So they can choose.

I will buy the stock one in Germany.

Question:
I ripped with EAC and made cue sheets. Does the AK100 have problems with these when I let them in their folders?
The IBasso for example have problem with them and thats why they should be deleted in the folders to get it faster.

no poblem leaving cue list files, but AK100 will not read them, so no purpose having them. gladly AK will not ne bugged by them. i have both dx50 and Rwak100 and plenty of rips in my collection with cue lists so tell from first hand experience.

Dec 1, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #7,634 of 9,165
anybody has an opinion on this? http://www.head-fi.org/t/692793/ak100-vs-redwine-imod-or-else

Dec 1, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #7,635 of 9,165
compared RedWine moded AK100 unamped to iBasso DX50 amped with T1. IEMs used 1p2.

i like DX50 amped a lot but comparison shows RWAK100 outclasses DX50 even when DX50 amped. RWAK feels more refined, spacious, more black velvet space, easier flowing and more black space between notes. DX50 holds a lot good for itself and is far cheaper DAP but talking in pure music terms i would give good edge to RWAK. each DAP is a joy to hear but RWAK is still the best portable solution while DX50 will sound its best amped but can feel a bit edgy and sharp unamped.

music listened in testing side by side:

and more Clannad works (could not find Chillout version i have at home on youtube but these compilation are enough)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back