The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jun 11, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #8,462 of 9,165

That's just one of the features compromises of MP3's, there's also the loss of high frequencies and details.
frown.gif

"Friends don't let their friends use MP3's."...
wink.gif

Much stuff is available exclusively at amazon.com in mp3 vbr. There are also many bootlegs which haven't been circulated in other quality than mp3. Live recordings. I don't care about your damn frequencies on the street and in subway. I just want a decent device with 2 sd cards on board working properly.

Jun 11, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #8,463 of 9,165
If you listen to EDM, you're gonna have to put up with MP3's no matter how rich or resourceful you are.

Unless the song you want is sold on Beatport, which sells 16/44 .wav's, mp3 is the only way, whether it be 320 or VBR. 

The best example is free releases. Best you're gonna get is MP3 VBR or 320. I've had to contact artists directly on SC many times to offer $ for lossless versions. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Also yeah the AK100 is an ultra portable...
People tend to use ultra portables on subways/busses/streets and as such the difference between 16/44 and 24/192 is nil when a v8 bus engine is just feet away from my face. The background noise of city life overpowers any gain that lossless 24/192 etc provides. To be fair, if I had the opportunity to have all my EDM tracks in 24/192, I absolutely would. I have more than enough storage for that, both portable and desktop. But it's an impossibility unfortunately.

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #8,464 of 9,165
If you listen to EDM, you're gonna have to put up with MP3's no matter how rich or resourceful you are.

Unless the song you want is sold on Beatport, which sells 16/44 .wav's, mp3 is the only way, whether it be 320 or VBR. 

The best example is free releases. Best you're gonna get is MP3 VBR or 320. I've had to contact artists directly on SC many times to offer $ for lossless versions. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Also yeah the AK100 is an ultra portable...
People tend to use ultra portables on subways/busses/streets and as such the difference between 16/44 and 24/192 is nil when a v8 bus engine is just feet away from my face. The background noise of city life overpowers any gain that lossless 24/192 etc provides. To be fair, if I had the opportunity to have all my EDM tracks in 24/192, I absolutely would. I have more than enough storage for that, both portable and desktop. But it's an impossibility unfortunately.

In a quiet environment do you notice an improvement in sound quality when playing wav/lossless EDM compared to 320k mp3 on the ak100?

Jun 14, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #8,465 of 9,165
In a quiet environment do you notice an improvement in sound quality when playing wav/lossless EDM compared to 320k mp3 on the ak100?

When I tested on Fiio X5 I could tell a slight difference (sometimes) but I never tried on the AK. I'll try it at some point!

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #8,466 of 9,165
  To be fair it does not happen with CBR MP3 or FLAC.

But, every other player on the planet can play VBR MP3 flawlessly. How hard is it to play a song until you run out of bits? This AK nonsense of estimating how long a song is and then just stopping when you reach the estimated length is crazy. If I wrote code like that for my company, I would be out of a job. The have known about this for a long time (I sent them sample tracks a few weeks after the AK100 came out) and they refuse to fix it. Morons. Of course they are the same engineers that put a 22 Ohm on the output of a portable player, so that we could all pay someone else $250 to have it bypassed so that our low impedance IEMs would sound right. 

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #8,467 of 9,165
  But, every other player on the planet can play VBR MP3 flawlessly. How hard is it to play a song until you run out of bits? This AK nonsense of estimating how long a song is and then just stopping when you reach the estimated length is crazy. If I wrote code like that for my company, I would be out of a job. The have known about this for a long time (I sent them sample tracks a few weeks after the AK100 came out) and they refuse to fix it. Morons. Of course they are the same engineers that put a 22 Ohm on the output of a portable player, so that we could all pay someone else $250 to have it bypassed so that our low impedance IEMs would sound right. 

LOL!
And this is why I will NOT buy another AK product... that's how we really "show" these companies that they are doing things wrong. I don't think we will ever see more firmware updates on their "legacy" players now... so, we will have to "live" with this. I will actually just get an X5 (or X7) and sell my AK100 MK2. I like its sound, and their UI is not THAT bad but inconsistencies such as that one, the Shuffle situation, random freezes (stops playback but let's you change tracks... just doesn't play), etc. really hurts them.

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #8,468 of 9,165
  But, every other player on the planet can play VBR MP3 flawlessly.

As long as flawlessly means getting to the end... yes.  If you take the time to look at what the frequency response of VBR WMA or MP3 or OGG looks like... you'd never use it.

Jun 18, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #8,471 of 9,165
I got myself an RWAK100 used a few months ago and haven't found it painful to use.  I have experienced a few of the problems people complain about, but they haven't set me back as much as others I guess.  I actually found my old iPod annoying because I couldn't make my own folder structure in it.  The biggest problem I had was solved when I learned to press power + previous track to reset the device when it freezes (happened twice in 4 months of constant use so far).  It is a great match with my JH13 Pros and even fits into the pelican case I got from Inearz when I sent to have the JH13s re-shelled.  Fingers crossed that I never need to have it serviced!  Also fingers crossed on a new firmware update.  I am fine with how it is, but it would be nice to see people's concerns addressed and possibly get a new feature or two.

Jun 18, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #8,472 of 9,165

LOL!
And this is why I will NOT buy another AK product... that's how we really "show" these companies that they are doing things wrong. I don't think we will ever see more firmware updates on their "legacy" players now... so, we will have to "live" with this. I will actually just get an X5 (or X7) and sell my AK100 MK2. I like its sound, and their UI is not THAT bad but inconsistencies such as that one, the Shuffle situation, random freezes (stops playback but let's you change tracks... just doesn't play), etc. really hurts them.

What's wrong with shuffle on the ak100?

Jun 18, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #8,473 of 9,165
For some reason, sometimes song start repeating... it doesn't happen to me every time but it does happen... It's like instead of shuffling through the whole collection, it just shuffles through a few hundred songs (maybe less) and then repeats them...

Jun 18, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #8,474 of 9,165
  For some reason, sometimes song start repeating... it doesn't happen to me every time but it does happen... It's like instead of shuffling through the whole collection, it just shuffles through a few hundred songs (maybe less) and then repeats them...

Ouch that's annoying. The old iRiver H320 and H120 had a weird glitch kind of like that. Also, "shuffle" wouldn't be a real "shuffle". If would basically create a shuffled playlist of all the music and then play the playlist in order. So each time you shuffled all the music, you'd get the same order of songs. Pretty strange glitch that took them years to fix. 

Jun 18, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #8,475 of 9,165
That sounds a lot like what I find to happen with mine.  It plays the same list of of songs each morning when I boot it up.  This is resolved when I just go into all songs and play any song to break the cycle.  I suspect that this has something to do with the way they create the library index as the "random playlist" stays the same until I add/remove some files and scan the library again.  I'm just as sure their random function could use some work as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back