The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
May 31, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #8,446 of 9,165
I said screw it and snagged a new AK100 MK2. Got a pretty good deal.
I went through 4 DAP's just to come to the conclusion that I should have went for the AK100 from the get go. Dammit! 
dt880smile.png

For it's size, you can't beat the sound. Bloody brilliant. 
And it looks so damn good with the black leather case!

Jun 1, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #8,447 of 9,165
I am very audibly happy with my AK100 MK2, I just wish they would release another firmware update (one last one) to address some of the issues pending 2.30.  I like everything about it except what most everyone else has experienced.  If they don't, then anyone (IMO) who purchases a new model is going to be in the same (sinking) boat as previous buyers,  If they keep going on this same path (again in MHO) and continue updating their line but never finish updating the previous line to something mechanically (firmware) acceptable people are at some point going to say @#$% you and go somewhere else.  Harsh perhaps but they better smarten up.  I have never once been contacted by their customer support in California in the 3 plus months I have owned mine.  Would/could I recommend one of their products....not a chance!  They don't seem to give a rats.....

Jun 2, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #8,448 of 9,165
What are the issues with  FW2.30? I've only owned the device for a day so I genuinely have no clue. I noticed gapless was not the best but I couldn't find any obvious issues.

Jun 2, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #8,449 of 9,165
  What are the issues with  FW2.30? I've only owned the device for a day so I genuinely have no clue. I noticed gapless was not the best but I couldn't find any obvious issues.

What's the matter with your Gapless?  Usually AK Gapless works perfect. r u sure u have it turned on? See a little 'G' icon at the top of the playback window? If not, it's off. Also, MP3's can have issues w/Gapless, but FLAC's usually work fine.

Jun 2, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #8,452 of 9,165
Not a great deal. Someone has just made their entire 17 posts on the site bitching about problems with the device which appear to be specific to them/a small number of people & attempting to pass them off as absolutes/true for everyone who has this device.

There are a few features missing from the current firmware (which should be relatively easily doable in firmware), but I wouldn't say there's anything particularly wrong with it other than shuffle mode needing to be refined, which again is very easily fixed with a bit of effort.

Jun 2, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #8,453 of 9,165
The clipping off the end of amazon mp3s still persists. Apparently due to DRM is the case. I alterted my I.D tags slightly to see if that were a cause, it wasn't...

The AK100 has lots of niggly little "issues" with it imo. Nothing major, just irritating. (ignoring the above oc)

Jun 2, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #8,454 of 9,165
We've yet to place an order for the new models from A&K. I have sent an email to Owen Kwon our sales contact at iRiver in California suggesting that the model numbers for the new units be changed to AK200, AK220, to match the currently available AK240. I have no idea why they used the same model numbers - it is going to be difficult to explain to buyers which models we are trying to sell - the model numbers above make way more sense to me.
We were told just prior to High End that the new models would be available some time in June to order and that they did still have stock of the 2nd generation AK100 and AK120 (not the new third generation models). Once we have an idea of US currency costs we will be able to price the new models for the Canadian market.
Best regards
Bryan
The Gramophone
Edmonton

Jun 2, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #8,455 of 9,165
  We've yet to place an order for the new models from A&K. I have sent an email to Owen Kwon our sales contact at iRiver in California suggesting that the model numbers for the new units be changed to AK200, AK220, to match the currently available AK240. I have no idea why they used the same model numbers - it is going to be difficult to explain to buyers which models we are trying to sell - the model numbers above make way more sense to me.
We were told just prior to High End that the new models would be available some time in June to order and that they did still have stock of the 2nd generation AK100 and AK120 (not the new third generation models). Once we have an idea of US currency costs we will be able to price the new models for the Canadian market.
Best regards
Bryan
The Gramophone
Edmonton

Hi - thanks for this info.
Does this mean that iriver wants to sell the "old" models first (at the full price) before providing the "new" models or will they sell both product lines  at the same time ?

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #8,456 of 9,165
Hallo Altersack, There is no doubt that once the new models are available to sell to the market, iRiver will want to sell them. That being said, if a dealer wants to buy iRIver's stock of older models, they will happily sell those as well. But as to the matter of price, because dealers still have stock of the previous models, which will be priced less than the two new models (called by me as AK200 and AK220), iRIver cannot have a fire sale of the old models, as that would affect our ability to move our previous generation models. There may be some kind of rebate to dealers to help them move their previous generation stock - we cannot keep buying new models until our older stock sells. This has not been decided or passed on to dealers as of this point. Now that the Newport show is finished, iRIver USA will turn their heads to these issues.
Bryan
The Gramophone Inc

Jun 6, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #8,460 of 9,165
folks,
any news on new firmware? I find ak100 a very nice and ergonomic device, but lack of cue support makes me disappointed. Is this a really hard-to-develop feature, that exist in millions of daps?
Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back