The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jul 14, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #6,631 of 9,165
Quote:
I have to say my RWAK100-S + Glacier gives me the best sound I have ever heard! Beats my DX100. But for some reason I get alot of distortion/clipping if I don´t use the eq (flat) with the 2.0.1 firmware.

Can you show a picture of the rwak100s with the glacier?  I'm really interested in that combo's footprint.  
Also, what about it beats the dx100?

Thanks!

Jul 14, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #6,632 of 9,165
Quote:
I have to say my RWAK100-S + Glacier gives me the best sound I have ever heard! Beats my DX100. But for some reason I get alot of distortion/clipping if I don´t use the eq (flat) with the 2.0.1 firmware.

Activating the EQ attenuates the peak output slightly (not sure exact amount). What volume are you using it at?

Jul 14, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #6,633 of 9,165
Quote:
The stock AK100 will affect the sound signature of any low-impedance headphone / earphone which has variation in its impedance across the frequency range. The challenge is that it may improve or worsen the sound depending on personal taste. Some multi-driver IEMs still have relatively consistent impedance across all frequencies (e.g. Shure SE535) while others seem vary more significantly (e.g. UM Miracles) - Note: I have seen the impedance vs freq graph for SE535, but am commenting only on what I heard in the UM Miracles.

I use the RWAK100 with UM Miracles (no amplifier) and can confirm no problems with the higher power output from the RWA version compared to stock AK100. I normally have the volume at around 50% (35-40) meaning that there's plenty of room to adjust both up and down as needed.

But oddly when i demoed both ak100 and ak120 with my jh16 FP, i feel the AK100 has a darker background and sounds cleaner.. was expecting the AK120 to wipe out the AK100 though, after reading about the output impedances of both devices and the dual dac of the AK120. 

Jul 14, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #6,634 of 9,165
Quote:
But oddly when i demoed both ak100 and ak120 with my jh16 FP, i feel the AK100 has a darker background and sounds cleaner.. was expecting the AK120 to wipe out the AK100 though, after reading about the output impedances of both devices and the dual dac of the AK120. 

The stock AK100 sounded amazingly clean and detailed with my Miracles, but I think it was more because the impedance (mis)matching caused the lower frequencies to be pulled back. The result was beautifully clean and detailed, but also not how the Miracles are meant to sound (i.e. the signature I bought them for and personally prefer). It may be that the higher OI caused the JH16s to sound cleaner for similar reasons.

Jul 14, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #6,635 of 9,165
Agree with Loquah.
My TG!334 sounds amazingly cleans and details, which may be due to the lower frequency now take a backstage.
But this is not how the 334 supposed to sounds like

Jul 15, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #6,637 of 9,165
To bad they don't make cases where the bottom is easier to access (the SD Slots) without having to remove the damn player from the case. It's a bit annoying personally....
rolleyes.gif

Jul 15, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #6,638 of 9,165
Quote:
To bad they don't make cases where the bottom is easier to access (the SD Slots) without having to remove the damn player from the case. It's a bit annoying personally....
rolleyes.gif

A lot of people request cases that way to keep their sd cards from accidentally flying away.

Jul 15, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #6,639 of 9,165
Quote:

A lot of people request cases that way to keep their sd cards from accidentally flying away.

The AK100 and AK120 have a covering to prevent this from happening. You have to slide theh latch across to expose the micro SD cards. Then you have to press them in to unlock them from the card holder. So I don't see this as an issue....

Jul 15, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #6,640 of 9,165
Quote:

The AK100 and AK120 have a covering to prevent this from happening. You have to slide theh latch across to expose the micro SD cards. Then you have to press them in to unlock them from the card holder. So I don't see this as an issue....

That's a pretty clever setup! I remember a few years back trying to put a microsd in the Clip+ I had just purchased, and my finger slipped and the spring sent the tiny little card flying away....took me a week to find it....lol.

Jul 15, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #6,641 of 9,165
Quote:

That's a pretty clever setup! I remember a few years back trying to put a microsd in the Clip+ I had just purchased, and my finger slipped and the spring sent the tiny little card flying away....took me a week to find it....lol.

lol I've done that before :p. But I try to make sure not to do that. I'd actually be worried about damaging the SD card slot by letting it spring like that... :frowning2:

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #6,642 of 9,165
I'm wondering why Dignis or any other casing manufacturers did not make a clear/translucent case (plastics) for AK100..

anyways to Oyebto, i experience the same as well, however, the difference isnt significant for me, therefore i would still love the AK120 as much as my AK100 in terms of black background and clean sound.

Jul 15, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #6,643 of 9,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Activating the EQ attenuates the peak output slightly (not sure exact amount). What volume are you using it at?

Hi Metalboy,

I'm glad you are enjoying your RWAK100-S!

With some recordings, I found that if you don't use the EQ button "ON" (but set to flat), there is clipping.  E.g. Norah Johns "Those Sweet Words" from her Feels Like Home album.  Her voice clips because they set her levels so HOT 
evil_smiley.gif

Setting the EQ on but to FLAT reduces the output of the dac by 4.86dB and certainly fixes the problem.

But with well-recorded material (e.g. the 5 MQS demo tracks that come with the player), they all play very clean with EQ set OFF.  

The other issue 'might' be that the input stage of certain headphone amps clip with a approx. 2Vrms input signal, and prefer lower voltage.  In this case, the -4.86dB output reduction helps.

Hi Loquah,

With the RWAK100-S mod, the volume is fixed (volume control is bypassed, volume is set full-scale to the dac) and you can't adjust it.

I hope this info is helpful,

Vinnie

Jul 15, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #6,644 of 9,165
Hi Metalboy,

With some recordings, I found that if you don't use the EQ button "ON" (but set to flat), there is clipping.  E.g. Norah Johns "Those Sweet Words" from her Feels Like Home album.  Her voice clips because they set her levels so HOT :evil:
Setting the EQ on but to FLAT reduces the output of the dac by 4.86dB and certainly fixes the problem.

But with well-recorded material (e.g. the 5 MQS demo tracks that come with the player), they all play very clean with EQ set OFF.  

The other issue 'might' be that the input stage of certain headphone amps clip with a approx. 2Vrms input signal, and prefer lower voltage.  In this case, the -4.86dB output reduction helps.

Vinnie

Hi, thank you for answering.

Loud drumfills have alot of clipping/distortion but they are almost gone with the EQ. I have tried several amps and the clipping/distortion sounds the same with all amps.

Jul 16, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #6,645 of 9,165
Quote:

Hi Metalboy,

With some recordings, I found that if you don't use the EQ button "ON" (but set to flat), there is clipping.  E.g. Norah Johns "Those Sweet Words" from her Feels Like Home album.  Her voice clips because they set her levels so HOT 
evil_smiley.gif

Hi Loquah,

With the RWAK100-S mod, the volume is fixed (volume control is bypassed, volume is set full-scale to the dac) and you can't adjust it.

I hope this info is helpful,

Vinnie

Oh, duh. Sorry, I knew that but clearly didn't engage my brain during that comment! #embarrassed

blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back