The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jul 4, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #6,421 of 9,165
All,

Thanks for posting your listening impressions for both
units.

II plan to spray paint the Gold version in black - then
it should sound the same! :wink:

Seriously, I'll compare the parts and look for
any differences. I'll report back either way.

Cheers!

Vinnie

Thank you for your help to take a close look on the diff between gold and black
If you can hear the diff and not found the circuit diff, please try to move the circuit board from black to gold.
Donot need to spray. Then we can prove my hypothesis on the metal dye color effect of electromagnetic interference is true or not.

Phanom

Jul 4, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #6,422 of 9,165
Kimvictor
Since you plan to do it yourself. Here are some tips

- Make sure your technician is skillful on soldering very small smd component. If the demage happen on the circuit it may not be able to repair
- Used multi strain cable with soft shield not single solid core otherwise when you blend it may pull your connection point.
- as pic 2 Connect to the headphone female jack is better since it bypass the circiut. SQ depend on your cable signature and soldering material. Select cable and soldering material carefully since small component will not allow you to try many time without damage.
Make sure you understand the risk and Do it as your own risk

Good luck

Phanom

Jul 4, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #6,424 of 9,165
Quote:
Kimvictor
Since you plan to do it yourself. Here are some tips

- Make sure your technician is skillful on soldering very small smd component. If the demage happen on the circuit it may not be able to repair
- Used multi strain cable with soft shield not single solid core otherwise when you blend it may pull your connection point.
- as pic 2 Connect to the headphone female jack is better since it bypass the circiut. SQ depend on your cable signature and soldering material. Select cable and soldering material carefully since small component will not allow you to try many time without damage.
Make sure you understand the risk and Do it as your own risk

Good luck

Phanom

Thanks Phanom. I'm pretty skilled at soldering(done it for few years) but I can find a skillful technician at my town. Thanks your your tips.

Jul 4, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #6,426 of 9,165
The attraction of the AK100 form factor, the long overdue release of gapless playback and the continuing good reports of the RWA mod has me back owning a AK100, this time a RWAK100 after a 6 month break. Consider myself lucky to grab a relatively new one used but in mint condition from another Head-Fier for fair price.

Impossible to compare to the standard after this long but I my inclination is to agree with all the positive comments of other owners. I've really enjoyed my DX100 and although they are a little different from each other SQ-wise, both are very nice to listen to. But I just don't like carrying around the DX. It's too bulky and gets too warm IMHO. No such issue with the RWAK. And must say the improvements in the firmware has made a nicer experience too.

And I add that my Westone 4Rs have not sounded so good as with this DAP. Worst part was having to read maybe 100 pages or more of this thread looking out for knock out factors but found none. So welcome me back guys...! :)

Jul 4, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #6,427 of 9,165
Quote:
The attraction of the AK100 form factor, the long overdue release of gapless playback and the continuing good reports of the RWA mod has me back owning a AK100, this time a RWAK100 after a 6 month break. Consider myself lucky to grab a relatively new one used but in mint condition from another Head-Fier for fair price.

Impossible to compare to the standard after this long but I my inclination is to agree with all the positive comments of other owners. I've really enjoyed my DX100 and although they are a little different from each other SQ-wise, both are very nice to listen to. But I just don't like carrying around the DX. It's too bulky and gets too warm IMHO. No such issue with the RWAK. And must say the improvements in the firmware has made a nicer experience too.

And I add that my Westone 4Rs have not sounded so good as with this DAP. Worst part was having to read maybe 100 pages or more of this thread looking out for knock out factors but found none. So welcome me back guys...!
smily_headphones1.gif

Lol. Welcome back. Now that I think of it, I should have bought a modded AK100 used...

Jul 4, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #6,428 of 9,165
kimvictor

I had no resistors, resistors with 1 ohm resistors with 3 ohm.
akg-k3003, Denon -7100.
Without resistors much treble and mids are pushed forward. I chose to 3.2 ohm. (AK120 - 3.4 Ohm)
Amp need protection if you happen to short-circuit in the headphones.

Jul 4, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #6,429 of 9,165
So I should solder a cable on top of those two, right? So that it bypasses those two resistors.

Got to say Kim that I'm pretty handy with soldering and not too shabby on electronics, but after reading through your questions, I don't quite understand your resistance to getting your mod done by Vinnie. Sure $250 seems a lot for a bit of wire and soldering, but it's a small amount compared with the cost of the AK100 or repair if you muck it up let alone duplicating the SQ Vinnie's extracting from these things. Remember, that $250 isn't just for the process itself, it's also for his experience and skills in working out what to do to fix what iRiver should have done in the first place and rather than fix it themselves, chose to stick their head in the sand.

Jul 4, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #6,430 of 9,165
Quote:
kimvictor

I had no resistors, resistors with 1 ohm resistors with 3 ohm.
akg-k3003, Denon -7100.
Without resistors much treble and mids are pushed forward. I chose to 3.2 ohm. (AK120 - 3.4 Ohm)
Amp need protection if you happen to short-circuit in the headphones.

Wait, I'm not getting this. Can you please explain? What do you mean you had no resistors? thanks! So you recommend just bypassing one?
Quote:
Got to say Kim that I'm pretty handy with soldering and not too shabby on electronics, but after reading through your questions, I don't quite understand your resistance to getting your mod done by Vinnie. Sure $250 seems a lot for a bit of wire and soldering, but it's a small amount compared with the cost of the AK100 or repair if you muck it up let alone duplicating the SQ Vinnie's extracting from these things. Remember, that $250 isn't just for the process itself, it's also for his experience and skills in working out what to do to fix what iRiver should have done in the first place and rather than fix it themselves, chose to stick their head in the sand.

I'm aware of the fact that I'm paying for craftsmanship and his after service, but shipping would cost about additional $80 and I would have about two weeks of waiting time, but I'm leaving to Spain soon. So that would be $330 for me. If anything was to go wrong, I can buy a used AK100 in Korea for about $360 or so, so it's not really that bad, considering that this isn't a terribly risky or hard to do mod.

Jul 4, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #6,432 of 9,165
In Moscow, rewire the resistors is 20 dollars and 20 minutes.
One of the forum members does it to other members for free.
It will cost a lot, if you change the resistors in space or in the sea at a depth of 2000 meters
smile.gif

Jul 4, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #6,433 of 9,165
Quote:
In Moscow, rewire the resistors is 20 dollars and 20 minutes.
One of the forum members does it to other members for free.
It will cost a lot, if you change the resistors in space or in the sea at a depth of 2000 meters
smile.gif

Lol. Exactly. I respect MS and RWA, but $250? The cables itself cannot possibly cost more than mere $50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back