The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
May 28, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #5,371 of 9,165
Quote:
bmichels et al.,

Thanks to IronLung (and listrid), I was able to get my RWAK100 to be recognized again by the computer, then installed 1.33, and then 
listrid's 1.33 patch.  Seems to be working fine.  So bmichels - you should do it and your RWAK100 will work again.

I see we are calling this the "Russian patch" - but I think it should be named something like "listrid's patch" to give credit to the
person who came up with it (unless he collaborated with a group?  Name?).  Listrid is on http://forum.doctorhead.ru
It would be cool if he posted here, too.  Thanks to him, we now have Gapless for AK100!  Who knows what other SW bug fixes he can
help with? 
wink.gif

IronLung - can you let us know what listrid calls his software patch for 1.33?  He should get recognition for this here.

Thank you,

Vinnie

Thanks Vinnie, I will try this as soon as I come back home where I have a Windows PC.   

- Now I am anxious to see if you find that, for those searching the ULTIMATE source, a RWAK120 with Dial-WM8741 is really better than a RWAK100 with one WM8741 ....or not and just a waste of Money.

- And I will have to decide which cIEM (or UIEM) can be a real upgrade from my "old" Westone ES3X. ( Translucent 1+2 ? JH13 ?   FitEar MH334 or... Piano Forte IX or ...???? )

May 28, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #5,372 of 9,165
Quote:
I am running it single ended as I got my cable made with the AK in mind, and I wanted a compact and flexible solution on my whiplash twag gold. It's terminated with a straight Oyaide. I have the old clas so the feeding to the Intruder is single ended as well.
When running my lcds on the Intruder I run it balanced, and I can tell the difference in sq turning to the better with them running balanced. They are a bit harder to drive than the 334s.

The AK100 has an outstanding signal! 

Going single ended into the Intruder is fine but output has to be balanced, this is where the Intruder, and for that matter 71B, shine! 

The 334 balanced is pretty incredible to my ears and totally change it into another beast. Suits my tastes to a "T" I use the Intruder on medium gain, volume pot between 11-1 o'clock and the AK100 at 55 volume. This strikes a balance that is truly stunning!

May 28, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #5,373 of 9,165
Quote:
Wow, that's the first time I heard of a date. Or did I miss the announcement?

No official announcement of a release date yet. We've been bugging the dev and engineering teams about the UI and Gapless updates for the AK100 for months now. They've been notified of this thread update and the Russian hack update, so hopefully we will have an official launch announcement for all of you guys very soon. I know we've been promising Gapless for some time now, but please bear with us as we try to get it perfect for both the AK100 and 120. 

It is sort of refreshing to see the community take the initiative to make the AK100 better. It helps us and the rest of the community to continue to develop better products. 

May 28, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #5,374 of 9,165
Quote:

to each his own, i do not like big helmets while i agree fit issues can be prohibitive, luckily my ears rarely have fit issues but i know many buyers of Musical Fidelity EB50 returned them exactly for the reason of fit, similar applies to TF10 which are difficult to fit for many.

as regards sound i cannot agree about mids, i also had similar impression on first audition but the more i listened the more i realised that this is not recessed mid but overall blend of musical presentation which does not want to sacrifice lushness and dynamics in details at the expense of overly pleasing mids. i run several times between my front end Sonus Fabers which are well regarded for oustanding mids and also visited two acoustic concerts in between.... then i suddenly realised that when you tune musical presentation and pull mids forweard in such a small IEM you most likely will compromise some greater dynamic and lushness which will put down overall musicality. i have one example here to compare and what i heard confirmed my finding.

for myself i found 1plus2 to be the closest to true high-end sound with unbelievable realistic bass dynamic, lush but not overly standing out midtones and well tamed trebles, if mids are only bit recessed for the sake of preserving analogue like presentation i cannot complain about this. and the comparison i do is mostly going against my front end and live music because the purpose of my portable rig is to give me the pleasure of high-end sound when i am away from home and my big rig system :-D

NB: i am not insisting someone else must be sharing my views but i really feel obliged to tell my impression when i find them (1+2) so good, otherwise i would not waste even a minute on writing something. IMHO 1plus2 were created by a true music connoseur with great ears, so my kudos go to Gavin.
and one more remark, i do not own 1plus2 IEM but i jumped on European audition tour out of curiousity, so my interest in singing praises for 1plus2 is close to zero and my real world profession is far from music. i am saying this in order to avoid any confusion and all i want is help fellas like me who come to this forum and bump into varous choices not having possibility to audition in shop.
L3000.gif

That's pretty sweet gintiras. If it can bring you somewhat of the experience you get from your high end home system that is saying a lot......

May 28, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #5,375 of 9,165
Quote:
No official announcement of a release date yet. We've been bugging the dev and engineering teams about the UI and Gapless updates for the AK100 for months now. They've been notified of this thread update and the Russian hack update, so hopefully we will have an official launch announcement for all of you guys very soon. I know we've been promising Gapless for some time now, but please bear with us as we try to get it perfect for both the AK100 and 120. 

It is sort of refreshing to see the community take the initiative to make the AK100 better. It helps us and the rest of the community to continue to develop better products. 

I am sorry that you will have to take for iRiver as being its only representative here, because you have always been nice, but there is nothing "refreshing" about this.

It just shows that iRiver takes its consumers for idiots. Since the AK120 UI is easily transposable to the AK100, it means you could have put out the gapless a while ago, but chose not to, so as to insure AK120 sales. There is nothing to be perfected, gapless works fine thanks to the patch, and I doubt that iRiver management took the news of the patch and said: it is refreshing.

I understand that you have a line of conduct to respect in your communications, but please do not insult our intelligence.

May 28, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #5,376 of 9,165
@JmoonAK on another note, will iriver fix the playlist support on both devices? m3u support is a must and should be compatible with most music programs such as Jriver and Media Monkey. It is also just a matter of software coding opposed to hardware. I organize my music library via this method and since the AK100 lists playlist support as a feature it should be fixed. Otherwise it is a sore point on the unit regarding UI. Personally it is as important as Gapless for me. I hope you will bring this up to your development team because it should be fixed and that does not mean we should be forced to use the manual method of creating playlists on the device. That is not acceptable. Especially when you have people who have hundreds of playlists.

May 28, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #5,377 of 9,165
On the playlist issue I tried making a playlist with the iriver + software and imported into the AK120 and it worked. I will ask my friend who is into this stuff to have a look at the playlist made by that software and see if there is a way we can tweak and import playlist from other music player software like itunes and media monkey.

May 28, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #5,378 of 9,165
Quote:
@JmoonAK on another note, will iriver fix the playlist support on both devices? m3u support is a must and should be compatible with most music programs such as Jriver and Media Monkey. It is also just a matter of software coding opposed to hardware. I organize my music library via this method and since the AK100 lists playlist support as a feature it should be fixed. Otherwise it is a sore point on the unit regarding UI. Personally it is as important as Gapless for me. I hope you will bring this up to your development team because it should be fixed and that does not mean we should be forced to use the manual method of creating playlists on the device. That is not acceptable. Especially when you have people who have hundreds of playlists.

I agree. Playlists are vital (more so than gapless for me) to make this player the perfect DAP that it has the potential to be.

May 28, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #5,379 of 9,165
Quote:
On the playlist issue I tried making a playlist with the iriver + software and imported into the AK120 and it worked. I will ask my friend who is into this stuff to have a look at the playlist made by that software and see if there is a way we can tweak and import playlist from other music player software like itunes and media monkey.

Audionewbi that isn't acceptable though. No one should have to use proprietary software for something as basic as playlist support. m3u in particular should be supported since it is the most widely used format for playlists. When I had the RWA AK100 I tried getting my playlists to work on this unit and even tried using the iriver software to no avail. Even tried using the PLS format (which supposedly the AK100 supports) to no effect. Pretty much you should be able to simply plug the player into your favorite music player and easily sync playlists to the device and have it work. It works on the DX100 and I think on the 901 as well. My playlists are all made already so its a matter of just syncing them via media monkey. Keep in mind I'm stating the above to benefit the consumers. But as an end result it will also benefit iRiver. :)

May 28, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #5,381 of 9,165
Quote:
I am sorry that you will have to take for iRiver as being its only representative here, because you have always been nice, but there is nothing "refreshing" about this.

It just shows that iRiver takes its consumers for idiots. Since the AK120 UI is easily transposable to the AK100, it means you could have put out the gapless a while ago, but chose not to, so as to insure AK120 sales. There is nothing to be perfected, gapless works fine thanks to the patch, and I doubt that iRiver management took the news of the patch and said: it is refreshing.

I understand that you have a line of conduct to respect in your communications, but please do not insult our intelligence.

Please don't take this comment the wrong way, but we do not treat our clients as "idiots". Without a great enthusiast community like Head-Fi, there would be no iriver and Astell&Kern. Community feedback and comments such as the ones from Head-Fi are truly what drives us to continually improve our products. In fact, there would be no ALAC, AIFF, and AAC format support (came with the v1.30 update) without the voice of the community. 

The "refreshing" part was from me personally, as a big modification community usually means there are dedicated people that want to see  the well-being of our product, such as the Russian user who patched the AK100 firmware with the AK120's. Yes, it is unfortunate that the community has responded quickly to the wants and needs of the users before us as the manufacturer got to it. I do understand your frustrations Mimouille. In no way did I mean to be insulting anyone here in the community. Please excuse me if I have, as it was not my intent.

However, as some of are well aware already, unofficial releases like these can have unwanted side effects. Evidence is shown on some of the few previous pages in this thread. Even though we are quite late to the game, we really do recommend to please be patient with us as we get all the kinks out for an official worldwide release of the firmware.

May 28, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #5,382 of 9,165
Quote:

Hi lee370. I'm with you 100%, as many of our clients and I are big proponents of playlists. We hope to see the m3u playlist format supported in the Astell&Kern line in the future because it's one of the most requested features to be implemented.

May 28, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #5,383 of 9,165
Quote:
Hi lee370. I'm with you 100%, as many of our clients and I are big proponents of playlists. We hope to see the m3u playlist format supported in the Astell&Kern line in the future because it's one of the most requested features to be implemented.

Thank you. I look forward to that! :).

May 28, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #5,385 of 9,165
Quote:

+1000000000000000
And I believe there is more headfiers who support Mimouille!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back