The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
May 28, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #5,356 of 9,165
So I have been listening to my stock AK100 using the listrid/Russian patch continuously for the last few hours.  It has been very stable and no glitches.

I can't really confirm any improvements in SQ.  There might be some increase in volume and quality, but I can't really say that I noticed.  So if they are there, it isn't very dramatic.  Probably not worth updating for this.

Besides gapless, the most dramatic changes was the improvement in the library scan and database management.  If you have a large number of files and had to revert to an earlier version of the official firmware, this works better than those earlier versions and definitely 1.33.  Even though the scan appeared to stop at 10K files, I didn't notice any missing songs or albums ... at least not yet.  This patch is definitely an improvement over all official versions of the firmware for library scans and database management if you have a lot of music.

There are also some minor but valuable improvements in the UI.   There is a home button that allow you go back to the main screen.  Previously, you had to press the back button many times to get back to the main screen.  There are some nice UI tweaks.

The big problem I would say are the obvious lags.  Some of the lags are familiar and are the ones that you have seen before.  In my case, they were noticeably more prominent probably because it is now reading from a more complete database, which would obviously slow things down.   So, it is doing a better job of maintaining a more accurate and complete database, but a large database appears to have increased lag in some instances.  One place that I noticed a lag present that was absent before was just moving back from a list of songs in an album to the tier above that listed all the albums by that artist.   There is slight lag there.

In general though, none of the lags lasted longer than 10 seconds,  I noticed this because the lists would populate just as the screen turned off.  I had it set to turn off in 10 seconds.  Objectively, the lag is not big - but if you are standing there staring at the screen, it can feel like a lifetime.  I suspect this might also be an improvement over previous lag behavior.

In any case, that's my impression of the listrid/Russian patch.  It appears to be a stable and reliable option for those who want gapless or a fix for the library scan\database issue.

May 28, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #5,357 of 9,165
Quote:
But it' not just gapless, is it? Isn't there more to the software difference?

Quote:
So I have been listening to my stock AK100 using the listrid/Russian patch continuously for the last few hours.  It has been very stable and no glitches.

I can't really confirm any improvements in SQ.  There might be some increase in volume and quality, but I can't really say that I noticed.  So if they are there, it isn't very dramatic.  Probably not worth updating for this.

Besides gapless, the most dramatic changes was the improvement in the library scan and database management.  If you have a large number of files and had to revert to an earlier version of the official firmware, this works better than those earlier versions and definitely 1.33.  Even though the scan appeared to stop at 10K files, I didn't notice any missing songs or albums ... at least not yet.  This patch is definitely an improvement over all official versions of the firmware for library scans and database management if you have a lot of music.

There are also some minor but valuable improvements in the UI.   There is a home button that allow you go back to the main screen.  Previously, you had to press the back button many times to get back to the main screen.  There are some nice UI tweaks.

The big problem I would say are the obvious lags.  Some of the lags are familiar and are the ones that you have seen before.  In my case, they were noticeably more prominent probably because it is now reading from a more complete database, which would obviously slow things down.   So, it is doing a better job of maintaining a more accurate and complete database, but a large database appears to have increased lag in some instances.  One place that I noticed a lag present that was absent before was just moving back from a list of songs in an album to the tier above that listed all the albums by that artist.   There is slight lag there.

In general though, none of the lags lasted longer than 10 seconds,  I noticed this because the lists would populate just as the screen turned off.  I had it set to turn off in 10 seconds.  Objectively, the lag is not big - but if you are standing there staring at the screen, it can feel like a lifetime.  I suspect this might also be an improvement over previous lag behavior.

In any case, that's my impression of the listrid/Russian patch.  It appears to be a stable and reliable option for those who want gapless or a fix for the library scan\database issue.

Thank you for the detailed explanation!

May 28, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #5,358 of 9,165
I have just got my hands on a MS-AK100, and have been listening last night and this morning for about 5 hours total so far.
My initial impressions are: Wow! The sq I am getting using my 334s is really hitting my sweetspot. It sounds so good I actually feel it has the edge over my ipod/clas/intruder combo in terms of sq. The brick has a small advantage in the bottom region with a little more speed, but still the overall is more lively on the AK, the mids feel fuller and clearer and there is nice treble that adds some to the soundstage making it a bit larger than my brick does.

Then there is the size.... I have seen countless pics of the AK100, but I did not realize how tiny it really is. My only objection to it is the cheap feel of the volume knob, still it does look good.

I was horrifed coming from a garden of apples that a GUI could be so sluggish as the AK. Then in comes the Russian mod, and I find myself feeling like a lottery winner. Now it is quick enough to make my listening hassle free. Only thing missing is some albumart that would show on my ipod, but I do not mind.

I'll round this of here with a special thanks to birdoffice and our Russian patch master!

May 28, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #5,359 of 9,165
Quote:
I have just got my hands on a MS-AK100, and have been listening last night and this morning for about 5 hours total so far.
My initial impressions are: Wow! The sq I am getting using my 334s is really hitting my sweetspot. It sounds so good I actually feel it has the edge over my ipod/clas/intruder combo in terms of sq. The brick has a small advantage in the bottom region with a little more speed, but still the overall is more lively on the AK, the mids feel fuller and clearer and there is nice treble that adds some to the soundstage making it a bit larger than my brick does.

Then there is the size.... I have seen countless pics of the AK100, but I did not realize how tiny it really is. My only objection to it is the cheap feel of the volume knob, still it does look good.

I was horrifed coming from a garden of apples that a GUI could be so sluggish as the AK. Then in comes the Russian mod, and I find myself feeling like a lottery winner. Now it is quick enough to make my listening hassle free. Only thing missing is some albumart that would show on my ipod, but I do not mind.

I'll round this of here with a special thanks to birdoffice and our Russian patch master!

Well said! I can't wait to hear it.

May 28, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #5,360 of 9,165
Quote:
Well said! I can't wait to hear it.

beerchug.gif

May 28, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #5,362 of 9,165
Quote:
For those who got problems after installing Russian FW (due upgrading ak100 with old FW-version, <1.32):

http://rusfolder.com/36585723 - firmware program
http://rusfolder.com/36585747 - linux.rom

1) Installing drivers from vtc_driver for your Winblows
2) Turn off the player (AK100)
3) Press all three buttons (up, pause, down) and to stick usb (without releasing the buttons)
the system displays the new device Telechips TCC89xx VTC
4) Run FWDN_V7.exe
on the right -  key kernel, LOGO, SD Hidded 2 and 2 (if there Unknown, means not tuned)

5) Click the button (...) choose linux.rom at the disc (which unpacked). And press (Add File)
Appears with this rom (it should be MARK)
6) Click (Start) and wait until the firmware loads
7) Reset (the buttons "up" + "off" and hold for 10 seconds)
That's all

I can't access these files. It says I need to access the ads to fund the site before I can download, but it didn't seem to work. Has anyone downloaded these and could share via Dropbox or similar?

May 28, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #5,363 of 9,165
Quote:

I can't access these files. It says I need to access the ads to fund the site before I can download, but it didn't seem to work. Has anyone downloaded these and could share via Dropbox or similar?

NVM - got files. Wish me luck!!

May 28, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #5,364 of 9,165
So I've tried IronLung's instructions (which work perfectly - thanks IL).

Strangely, after re-flashing the ROM (I assume that's what the process does), I still see FW v1.33 on the startup screen and it is the Russian firmware that loads!!?? How the heck do I revert to earlier FW or FW1.33?

May 28, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #5,365 of 9,165
Quote:

Strangely, after re-flashing the ROM (I assume that's what the process does), I still see FW v1.33 on the startup screen and it is the Russian firmware that loads!!?? How the heck do I revert to earlier FW or FW1.33?

Just guessing here, but the Russian patch is just an adaption of sections of 1.33. To completely get rid of it, you may need to flash something like 1.32 first and then 1.33.

Like I say, just a guess though

May 28, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #5,366 of 9,165
Quote:

Sorry for multiple posts in short succession everyone!

Finally managed to revert to genuine 1.33 by reloading the 1.33 HEX file to the AK100 after using IronLung's method.

FWIW I don't recommend the Russian FW due to it's potential impact on future genuine FW upgrades. I very much appreciate the efforts of anyone involved, but it's still an imperfect implementation that seems to cause multiple cases of instability.

May 28, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #5,367 of 9,165
Quote:

Sorry for multiple posts in short succession everyone!

Finally managed to revert to genuine 1.33 by reloading the 1.33 HEX file to the AK100 after using IronLung's method.

FWIW I don't recommend the Russian FW due to it's potential impact on future genuine FW upgrades. I very much appreciate the efforts of anyone involved, but it's still an imperfect implementation that seems to cause multiple cases of instability.

Buddy

I will drop both files for you...I have installed Russian and gone back to stock many times without problems...........

I find the Russian really running quite smoothly for me, well at least the same as the AK120
size]

May 28, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #5,368 of 9,165
Quote:

Hi.......

Are you running the Intruder out single ended or balanced with the 334?

May 28, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #5,369 of 9,165
Quote:
Quote:

Hi.......

Are you running the Intruder out single ended or balanced with the 334?

I am running it single ended as I got my cable made with the AK in mind, and I wanted a compact and flexible solution on my whiplash twag gold. It's terminated with a straight Oyaide. I have the old clas so the feeding to the Intruder is single ended as well.
When running my lcds on the Intruder I run it balanced, and I can tell the difference in sq turning to the better with them running balanced. They are a bit harder to drive than the 334s.

May 28, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #5,370 of 9,165
Quote:

hey that's your opinion...good on ya for having one...

i owned 'em and i sold 'em...recessed mids and un-natural soundstage are not my thing...

but most importantly and arguably my biggest gripe was that they are NOT mobile earphones...i would catergorize them as transportable at best; i could not overcome the fitament issues along with the horribly stiff, unwieldy cable...paired with a DAP like the AK made little sense to me...if i have to sit or lay stationary, you can sure as hell bet i'll have a hd800, t1 or audez'e headphone fuelled by my SR71B or a desktop h/p amp...the 1+2 just missed the mark from my experience...

despite the cost and naysayers, i love my k3003 and RWAK100...fantastic mobile setup...even months later, i often find myself walking to and from work in awe, still shocked at how it is possible to be experiencing the quality of music while strolling thru a park...and i do feel grateful...often it is the best part of my day... :wink:

to each his own, i do not like big helmets while i agree fit issues can be prohibitive, luckily my ears rarely have fit issues but i know many buyers of Musical Fidelity EB50 returned them exactly for the reason of fit, similar applies to TF10 which are difficult to fit for many.

as regards sound i cannot agree about mids, i also had similar impression on first audition but the more i listened the more i realised that this is not recessed mid but overall blend of musical presentation which does not want to sacrifice lushness and dynamics in details at the expense of overly pleasing mids. i run several times between my front end Sonus Fabers which are well regarded for oustanding mids and also visited two acoustic concerts in between.... then i suddenly realised that when you tune musical presentation and pull mids forweard in such a small IEM you most likely will compromise some greater dynamic and lushness which will put down overall musicality. i have one example here to compare and what i heard confirmed my finding.

for myself i found 1plus2 to be the closest to true high-end sound with unbelievable realistic bass dynamic, lush but not overly standing out midtones and well tamed trebles, if mids are only bit recessed for the sake of preserving analogue like presentation i cannot complain about this. and the comparison i do is mostly going against my front end and live music because the purpose of my portable rig is to give me the pleasure of high-end sound when i am away from home and my big rig system :-D

NB: i am not insisting someone else must be sharing my views but i really feel obliged to tell my impression when i find them (1+2) so good, otherwise i would not waste even a minute on writing something. IMHO 1plus2 were created by a true music connoseur with great ears, so my kudos go to Gavin.
and one more remark, i do not own 1plus2 IEM but i jumped on European audition tour out of curiousity, so my interest in singing praises for 1plus2 is close to zero and my real world profession is far from music. i am saying this in order to avoid any confusion and all i want is help fellas like me who come to this forum and bump into varous choices not having possibility to audition in shop.
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back