The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
May 27, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #5,326 of 9,165
so it seems we have mixed success with Rus mod? Some people report great results, some others struggling to fix some issues.
perhaps our Russian friends will look into the problem and update the patch to remove compat issues? it is a pity because that patch seems great but reported problems scare me, i do not have the second Rwak in case something goes wrong :frowning2:

May 27, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #5,327 of 9,165
Issues on mine fixed , as long as you are in windows, and you are save I guess?, since you can just go to the iriver+ and then update the ak100 , then reapply russian patch and everything will work just fine again

May 27, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #5,328 of 9,165
Quote:
so it seems we have mixed success with Rus mod? Some people report great results, some others struggling to fix some issues.
perhaps our Russian friends will look into the problem and update the patch to remove compat issues? it is a pity because that patch seems great but reported problems scare me, i do not have the second Rwak in case something goes wrong :frowning2:

All you have to do is update your AK100 with official 1.33 before hack.

May 27, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #5,330 of 9,165
IronLung, Retrias, thanks :)

i will try on the weekend, will have to unpack my windows laptop collecting dust first and install iriver +...

May 27, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #5,332 of 9,165
IronLung, thanks for suggesting but i hate windows and especially on macs, mind this i have good enough Lenovo business collecting dust which has Win7 powerful version and should be able to handle the task. The fact i am not using it daily does not mean it is bad :)

All it takes is to install iriver soft, so why should i suffer installing win on mac when i can be set on my Lenovo in a minute.

May 27, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #5,333 of 9,165
What am I missing here? I just use my mac computer. 

May 27, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #5,334 of 9,165
does iriver+ software work on Mac? I heard it somewhere here that it does not. i mean in case ak100 selfbricks i will have to use iriver+... Will be glad if it works on Mac, have four snow leopards waiting :)

May 27, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #5,335 of 9,165
Quote:
does iriver+ software work on Mac? I heard it somewhere here that it does not. i mean in case ak100 selfbricks i will have to use iriver+... Will be glad if it works on Mac, have four snow leopards waiting :)

You should be ok as long as you are going from 1.33 and nothing lower

Retrias is the only person who has had a problem with the patch on 1.33 and a reinstall fixed that, so I think you should be good to go :)

May 27, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #5,336 of 9,165
Crafty, i am also wondering how the patch can affect RWAK sonics, this is not AK pure and I love Vinnie's mod, so I would be not liking altering sound signature that way. I know IronLung told it should not but Vinnie measurment of output showed some change. I am wondering if Vinnie tested this patch with his RWAK mod?

Anyway, thanks for all great responses and to Russian friends enthusiasts who help people get the best out of their AK :)

May 27, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #5,337 of 9,165
I just updated to 1.33 and then applied the Russian patch.   No issues so far.   Interestingly, the library scan works better with this patch than with 1.33 stock.  With 1.33, if you have files near 10K or more files, it fails and reads only a minimal number of items.  With the Russian build, it still stops at 10K, but the database read is more complete.   You can use the library database navigation reasonably well.  So, this would appear to be an option for those who have had library scan issues.

I also connected the ak to the computer again after installing the patch.  No issues mounting the drives on my windows pc after the patch.

There appears to be bigger lags though for me, but that might be due to the larger database build.  I will update on sound later.

The UI is different from the stock.  Is this because it is built on the FW for ak120 - or did the russian dude mod those as well?

May 27, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #5,338 of 9,165
Quote:
does iriver+ software work on Mac?

popcorn.gif

May 27, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #5,339 of 9,165
Quote:
disagree, 1plus2 has rare ability which is called analogue sound signature, bass extension is beyond what normally you would expect from IEM. it might be not last word in detailing but musical harmony and crossover blending (akin there is none crossover perhaps but i use this terminology for loudspeaker) is superb.

i have RWAK100 and the pairing with 1plus2 is phenomenal, and adding T1 with a good IC makes you ears melt completely. coming from vinyl and tube setup i can assure you this is rare when IEM can sound so analogue like. of course everything in my humble opinion and i stand by it. there are many nice IEMs perhaps which can be bit more detailed or transparent but analogue live like sound is not what you get with every IEM or every high end component, this is why audiophiles trade in and out a lot of gear before finding their holy grail. of course i wish price would bit more down to earth but i am not talking about price but pure sonics where i listen first and only then i ask what the price is :wink:

hey that's your opinion...good on ya for having one...

i owned 'em and i sold 'em...recessed mids and un-natural soundstage are not my thing...

but most importantly and arguably my biggest gripe was that they are NOT mobile earphones...i would catergorize them as transportable at best; i could not overcome the fitament issues along with the horribly stiff, unwieldy cable...paired with a DAP like the AK made little sense to me...if i have to sit or lay stationary, you can sure as hell bet i'll have a hd800, t1 or audez'e headphone fuelled by my SR71B or a desktop h/p amp...the 1+2 just missed the mark from my experience...

despite the cost and naysayers, i love my k3003 and RWAK100...fantastic mobile setup...even months later, i often find myself walking to and from work in awe, still shocked at how it is possible to be experiencing the quality of music while strolling thru a park...and i do feel grateful...often it is the best part of my day... :wink:

May 27, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #5,340 of 9,165
bmichels et al.,

Thanks to IronLung (and listrid), I was able to get my RWAK100 to be recognized again by the computer, then installed 1.33, and then 
listrid's 1.33 patch.  Seems to be working fine.  So bmichels - you should do it and your RWAK100 will work again.

I see we are calling this the "Russian patch" - but I think it should be named something like "listrid's patch" to give credit to the
person who came up with it (unless he collaborated with a group?  Name?).  Listrid is on http://forum.doctorhead.ru
It would be cool if he posted here, too.  Thanks to him, we now have Gapless for AK100!  Who knows what other SW bug fixes he can
help with? 
wink.gif

IronLung - can you let us know what listrid calls his software patch for 1.33?  He should get recognition for this here.

Thank you,

Vinnie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back