The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
May 22, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #5,011 of 9,165
He is planning to do it with a different DAC, which I think might be too much. I would hate to imagine how much that would cost considering how the current resistor bypass cost $250 plus shipping. I would imagine it will be very expensive.

Speaking of the 8741 I'm really dreading for iriver to announce a single 8741 with 3ohm OI AK200 for $899 followed by "dual 8741 DAC" AK240 with proper <1ohm impedance for "just" $1,799 a couple months from now...

May 22, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #5,013 of 9,165
I do not know the benefit of using 8741 beside the obvious native DSD support. I am almost certain that we will not see anything from the AK brand for a good year. I am sure their next DAP is going to be closely based on the community interest. They will simply wait for the new DAPS to come and let those DAP do their thing and they will make their DAP based on all those things.

Heck I say their next DAP is going to be release during the holiday season of next year! (just a guess)

May 22, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #5,014 of 9,165
The 8741 draws more current so you will either have less run time or a larger dap as you will need a bigger battery for decent run time. 

May 23, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #5,018 of 9,165
Hello guys,
I have a stock (not modded) AK100 and Shure SE535ltd-j.
I listen mostly to jazz, classical (Hi-Res), sometimes rock.
I'm really happy with this combo with jazz and "soft rock" - like Dire Straits, Rolling Stones,
but I feel it lacks dynamics with bands like Metallica, AC/DC ans so on.
Will an external amp help in this case?
I'm considering Vorzuge Pure or Ortofon MHD-Q7.
What you think, which amp would give any benefit?
I've read that Ortofon hisses a lot, but I'm not sure...
Thanks for any thoughts!

May 23, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #5,019 of 9,165
I say avoid the MHd-Q7 as it pairs welly with dynamic drivers only and instead go with the Vorzuge Pure. I had a chance to listen to the vorzuge duo and it sound great(they are both the same, duo has EQ which you dont really need).

Quote:
Hello guys,
I have a stock (not modded) AK100 and Shure SE535ltd-j.
I listen mostly to jazz, classical (Hi-Res), sometimes rock.
I'm really happy with this combo with jazz and "soft rock" - like Dire Straits, Rolling Stones,
but I feel it lacks dynamics with bands like Metallica, AC/DC ans so on.
Will an external amp help in this case?
I'm considering Vorzuge Pure or Ortofon MHD-Q7.
What you think, which amp would give any benefit?
I've read that Ortofon hisses a lot, but I'm not sure...
Thanks for any thoughts!

May 23, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #5,020 of 9,165
Quote:
The DAC chip used IS important.....but MORE important is what goes in and goes out of that chip. I have a Sabre USB (so called) DAC, which costs $40. It ain't worth .40 cents........

Yep it really comes down to the implementation of the design. You could have some pricey chips with cheap/crappy internals and get less than savory sound :).

May 23, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #5,021 of 9,165
Quote:
I say avoid the MHd-Q7 as it pairs welly with dynamic drivers only and instead go with the Vorzuge Pure. I had a chance to listen to the vorzuge duo and it sound great(they are both the same, duo has EQ which you dont really need).

Thanks for response, audionewbi!
Did you listen to Vorzuge with AK100 (not modded)? What BA did you use?
So, you think AK100+SE535 would benefit from adding an external amp?

May 23, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #5,022 of 9,165
Quote:
Thanks for response, audionewbi!
Did you listen to Vorzuge with AK100 (not modded)? What BA did you use?
So, you think AK100+SE535 would benefit from adding an external amp?

I never heard the SE535 with AK100 (stock) but I have read it does weird things with bass. The Vorzuge is really a great pair with Ak100 size wise. It comes down to you on whether you want to spend 420 USD on an amp or have it modded for 250(plus shipping). The modded AK100 will suit a large pool of IEM and CIEM however having an amp means you can easily sell them separately when you want to.

I used the EX-1000 and ER4S for my testing, they sounded really good. 

May 23, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #5,023 of 9,165
Just took Delivery of my AK100 and have a few Questions and Queries with regards to this.....and yes I seem to be able to see what some peoples issues with this are:

I have two 64Gb SDXC formatted to Fat 32.....one has Hi Res FLAC music on it, the other has standard 16/44.1 ALAC files. Iinitially inserted the FLAC Card in (SD2) and it scanned the Library and all my music showed up. However when I inserted the second card into (SD1) it scanned the Library again and all the music on SD1 (ALAC) is showing up however none of the music (FLAC) is showing up on SD2.

I have taken the card out and double checked on the PC....all the music is there.....re-inserted the card into SD2, scanned the Library again and still nothing!! anybody know what the problem is??

Also

I have a slight issue with track listing order for the FLAC files......on the card they appear in track order (1,2,3,4 etc etc), however when the card was inserted and I looked at various albums the tracks are all over the place (it's now showing 1,10,11,12 etc and then goes back to 2,3 and so on). Again can anybody help as to how to sort this problem?

Just in case it helps all the music has been transfered onto th cards with the cards in my PC...drag and paste and then insert the card into the AK100?

Yes, frustration is setting in a little bit already...and its only been 2 hours :)

May 23, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #5,024 of 9,165
Quote:
Just took Delivery of my AK100 and have a few Questions and Queries with regards to this.....and yes I seem to be able to see what some peoples issues with this are:

I have two 64Gb SDXC formatted to Fat 32.....one has Hi Res FLAC music on it, the other has standard 16/44.1 ALAC files. Iinitially inserted the FLAC Card in (SD2) and it scanned the Library and all my music showed up. However when I inserted the second card into (SD1) it scanned the Library again and all the music on SD1 (ALAC) is showing up however none of the music (FLAC) is showing up on SD2.

I have taken the card out and double checked on the PC....all the music is there.....re-inserted the card into SD2, scanned the Library again and still nothing!! anybody know what the problem is??

Also

I have a slight issue with track listing order for the FLAC files......on the card they appear in track order (1,2,3,4 etc etc), however when the card was inserted and I looked at various albums the tracks are all over the place (it's now showing 1,10,11,12 etc and then goes back to 2,3 and so on). Again can anybody help as to how to sort this problem?

Just in case it helps all the music has been transfered onto th cards with the cards in my PC...drag and paste and then insert the card into the AK100?

Yes, frustration is setting in a little bit already...and its only been 2 hours :)

I didn't had these problems with my AK100 or 120. What firmware version are you on? Try upgrading to 1.33 if it isn't.  

Also see if the cards are too full as people have had issue with cards with less than 100mb free space.  Can also try resetting the Ak100, turn off auto-scan, then insert both cards and manually start the scan again.  Hope you will get these resolved soon!

May 23, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #5,025 of 9,165
Quote:

Also

Actually, once the SDcards have been formatted to Fat32, I find it faster to load music when the cards are in the player. around 6 meg compared to 4 meg/sec in the card reader on my PC...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back