The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Apr 4, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #3,647 of 9,165
Apr 4, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #3,648 of 9,165
Regarding 1.33 update and the 10000 file wall, it is an improvement over 1.32.  1.33 can read and sort some items from the database (barely really) if you have over 10K songs.   However, it is minimal and extremely incomplete.   1.30 provides more access to your music through the library scan - even if it is only artists.  Not worth updating if you are looking for a solution to that particular problem.   The good news is that they are making progress, but it is still not solved.  You might want to wait for a future update if you are looking for that fix..

Apr 4, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #3,649 of 9,165
I really hope they dont get cold feet and drop the entire line, I am willing to forgive them if the AK200 is willing to fix all the issues we are having now. This unit has potentials with what seems to be minimum work hardware wise.

All they need to do is reduce the price to $500 and fix the 22 Ohm, people are willing to forgive them on their particular Sound signature if their price is right. 
Quote:
Regarding 1.33 update and the 10000 file wall, it is an improvement over 1.32.  1.33 can read and sort some items from the database (barely really) if you have over 10K songs.   However, it is minimal and extremely incomplete.   1.30 provides more access to your music through the library scan - even if it is only artists.  Not worth updating if you are looking for a solution to that particular problem.   The good news is that they are making progress, but it is still not solved.  You might want to wait for a future update if you are looking for that fix..

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #3,650 of 9,165
daseinpdx,

I am a bit confused. Does this firmware update fix the issue with version 1.32 where after scanning, some folks could only browse by artist? Some folks, me being one of them, could not browse by album or song after scanning with version 1.32.

Thanks,
The Dog

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #3,651 of 9,165
Just bought final audio adagio 3 , suprisingly this iem pairs the best out of every iem I got with my ak100 (I have the Shure SE215 and the JVC Fxd80) and it is als the easiest to drive for some odd reason

Apr 4, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #3,652 of 9,165
Quote:
daseinpdx,

I am a bit confused. Does this firmware update fix the issue with version 1.32 where after scanning, some folks could only browse by artist? Some folks, me being one of them, could not browse by album or song after scanning with version 1.32.

Thanks,
The Dog

I was speaking specifically to the subset of users who have over 10000 songs on their AK.  Those users have had more extreme versions of the problems you describe.  For 10K+ users, 1.33 is definitely not a fix.  The resulting scan for me had 6 artists and about 30 albums; obviously, that is not complete for someone with over 10K in songs!  However, I was pointing out that this was an improvement over 1.32 where 10K+ users could not get the AK to sort anything at all.  1.33 is still not a good alternative for 10K+ users since the 1.30 library scan provides more access to items even if limited only to artists.

It is still possible though that 1.33 is a fix for those who have less than 10K songs.  Unfortunately, I cannot speak to that directly.   Maybe someone else here has a smaller database and has tried it.   Extrapolating from my experience with 1.33, since it was attempted to sort by album and artist, there is a decent chance that there is significant improvement for users with less than 10K of songs.  Can't confirm it though, just my speculation.

Apr 4, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #3,653 of 9,165
I think I pass on this update and wait for next one to see if worth. I use 32G cards so no issues. Else things work great while Cue lists are not with any firmware.

Btw, is AK able to read and show both cards together with internal storage as one mediathek? I have to switch between storages but may be i do not know how?

Apr 4, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #3,654 of 9,165
daseinpdx,

Thanks a bunch for the response. I have about 5000 titles on my player, and will try version 1.33 tonight. For those that want to know, I will report my findings.

The Dog

Apr 4, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #3,655 of 9,165
This firmware version (1.33) is a bust as well. It would let me browse by artist, or song, but when I tried to browse by album, it only displays the first 5 albums of my collection. There are just over 400 albums contained on the media in my player. The scan goes through all the songs, and does not terminate early. It just seems to have failed to create correct browsing information or is unable to interpret the browsing information that it has created so that I can browse by album, which is unfortunately the most common way I find the music I want to listen to. Hopefully they will follow up with a new firmware version quickly, like they did following version 1.32. I think they are making progress. They just need to get all the pieces to fall into place.

Apr 5, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #3,660 of 9,165
audionewbi,

What firmware version are you using that allows you to browse by artist and album? Based on my experience, I would bet it is 1.30.

Retrias,

Yes, with version 1.30, I can browse by album and artist. Please read my post starting with "This firmware version (1.33)" above, as it explains my experience with version 1.33. I am back to using 1.30, and might even go back to 1.20. With 1.20, if my memory serves me correctly, I could browse by song, album and artist. I do not have any ALAC files so that feature does not appeal or apply to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back