The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Apr 3, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #3,631 of 9,165
Hi, I received my RWAK100 today with version 1.30 of the firmware installed. I thought I would update it to the latest firmware and so downloaded version 1.32 from the iriver website. I installed the iriver plus 4 software on a Windows 7 laptop I have, since as far as I know this isn't possible on Mac OSX. It didn't seem to recognise my device in the software so I rebooted and when I ran iriver plus 4 up popped a window asking if I want to upgrade the firmware to which I replied yes.

The device then restarted but is now in a permanent loop on the select Languages page and this same page keeps flashing again and again. I have restarted the device with the power and scroll up button a few times now but each time it gets stuck in the same place on the Language selection page. One other thing that I have noticed is that when it is starting up the version being shown on the screen is 1.33 and not 1.32!!!

Does anybody know how I can resolve this? Is there any way to try to install an older version of the firmware? The laptop cannot see the device now either when I connect.

Any help would be truly appreciated.

Apr 3, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #3,632 of 9,165
Something over 22 ohms impedance, I am guessing....
wink.gif

Surely something over 150 ohms is going to be more like it :wink:

Apr 3, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #3,633 of 9,165
+1 crafty clown and also ideally not multiple BA although i must say that my LCM-5 is one of the only OK pairings i have found! I reckon the RE-262 might be quite good but i have not tried! 

Apr 3, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #3,634 of 9,165
Quote:
Hi, I received my RWAK100 today with version 1.30 of the firmware installed. I thought I would update it to the latest firmware and so downloaded version 1.32 from the iriver website. I installed the iriver plus 4 software on a Windows 7 laptop I have, since as far as I know this isn't possible on Mac OSX. It didn't seem to recognise my device in the software so I rebooted and when I ran iriver plus 4 up popped a window asking if I want to upgrade the firmware to which I replied yes.

The device then restarted but is now in a permanent loop on the select Languages page and this same page keeps flashing again and again. I have restarted the device with the power and scroll up button a few times now but each time it gets stuck in the same place on the Language selection page. One other thing that I have noticed is that when it is starting up the version being shown on the screen is 1.33 and not 1.32!!!

Does anybody know how I can resolve this? Is there any way to try to install an older version of the firmware? The laptop cannot see the device now either when I connect.

You need to confirm the selection of language.   I think it is selected as "English" as default, but you need to confirm the selection by actually pressing the line with the selected language.  This should take you to the tutorial page.  You can escape that by pressing the hardware button for play - the middle one.  It will ask you to scan then and you can decide if you want it to do it manually or automatic.  That should be it.

Apr 3, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #3,635 of 9,165
Quote:

I've just connected my AK version 1.32 to my PC and Plus4 is indeed saying there is a firmware update available.

It may be prudent to confirm Faran can actually get his working before any of us attempt this update, just in case there is a problem!

There is no mention of 1.33 being available on the site

Edit;

I just found this on the Korean blog. http://blog.naver.com/astellnkern/

It appears 1.33 is now available

There seems to be something referring to 10,000. I can only presume this is related to scanning issue some have reported when there is over 10,000 songs. Fingers crossed that is fixed.

Anyone here speak Korean, that can tell us what else has been improved?

Apr 3, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #3,636 of 9,165
I managed to resolve the issue by removing the memory cards and then restarting. I then put the cards back in and so far everything seems fine.

dasinpdx - I know you said to choose a language but it wouldn't accept any input and the Language page kept refreshing every second or so.

I'm thinking of ordering ALO Audio's The International amplifier to partner the AK100 as the Pico Slim I have doesn't seem to do it justice. I'm currently pairing it with the Audio Technica CK10's but have just had some ear impressions made as I am in the process of ordering the Spiral Ears SE 5-Way Reference CIEMs from Grzegorz. I'm hoping to get a Whiplash Audio hybrid for these and then hopefully I will be in my audio heaven!

Apr 4, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #3,637 of 9,165
Quote:
no IEM in $200  category will fit AK100 sound quality wise. you can try the cheap ones  you wouldn't benefit from SQ that AK100 is capable of.
I would suggest Shure SE535 or Westone 4 Quad-Driver for starters.

Have to respectfully disagree re Westone 4 as a good match for AK.  I had to go back to the W4 recently while my UERM was in for repair.  Ick!  No bass whatsoever.  Can't be certain, but I suspect that the high output impedance of the stock AK is the culprit.

Apr 4, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #3,638 of 9,165
Quote:
Have to respectfully disagree re Westone 4 as a good match for AK.  I had to go back to the W4 recently while my UERM was in for repair.  Ick!  No bass whatsoever.  Can't be certain, but I suspect that the high output impedance of the stock AK is the culprit.

how do the UERM sound with AK?

Apr 4, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #3,639 of 9,165
i repost my questions to AK100 owners:

a) my RWAK gets sligthly warm during longer playback, do you have same experience?
b) my RWAK cannot read/reckon CUE lists, so Flac album plays like one song and no possible to skip between songs. is this normal?

thanks

Apr 4, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #3,640 of 9,165
Quote:
i repost my questions to AK100 owners:

a) my RWAK gets sligthly warm during longer playback, do you have same experience?
b) my RWAK cannot read/reckon CUE lists, so Flac album plays like one song and no possible to skip between songs. is this normal?

thanks

a)Mine gets slightly warm when set at 75. 
b)Mine does not support CUE. 

Apr 4, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #3,641 of 9,165
audionewb, thanks, so this appears normal.... mine is slightly warm so i was wondering.
no support of CUE files is pain in the rear for me since many material i have is album recorded and cue ...bump.... funny is tiny C3 eats CUE files no problem.

hopefully, i can live with this since i like listen to music by the albums in any case. what i find weird is that iRiver did not care for such obvious issues which would be easy to implement. i wish iRiver could borrow some vision from Cowons whose players support cue & list album art and etc without much problem at all. if AK100 would cost 300$ i could pass on this but for 700$ they should do a better job...

anyway, my RWAK is great sounding and this what counts above all for me.

Apr 4, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #3,642 of 9,165
Yep, a new 1.33 firmware update is awailable for all.
I'm downloading it, will try in the evening:)
http://www.iriverinc.com/download/downloadView.asp?selectPart=02&findWord=&sno=1073&page=1&cateCode=02

Apr 4, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #3,643 of 9,165
what are the improvements on 1.33? i am not keen unless the update offers something really tangible.

Apr 4, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #3,644 of 9,165

Added impedance makes the W4 closer to neutral. It lowers mid bass and increases treble response. I think around 30 or so ohms is recommended, if that is your intention and consider that a good thing.

Apr 4, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #3,645 of 9,165
what are the improvements on 1.33? i am not keen unless the update offers something really tangible.

It appears to be stability related with the SD cards. Something a lot of users have commented on. So yes I would definitely say it is worth it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back