The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Dec 16, 2023 at 1:23 AM Post #6,782 of 6,859
What is your favorite way to manage music libraries on Mac with an SD card?
I don't use Macs outside work but get a large enough SD card (I use a 512GB personally) and rsync (warning, Terminal required so not for the faint of heart) all the music you have. The rsync again when you add new music.

Dec 18, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #6,784 of 6,859
What is your favorite way to manage music libraries on Mac with an SD card?
Syncthing has been working well for me. I used to have the Android app run on a Hiby R5 directly. Now I just use the Windows application(Syncthing also supports Mac) pointing to the SD card drive letter. As soon as I plug the card in, the application will start syncing my library with it.

Dec 19, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #6,785 of 6,859
Anyone have Hiby R3 II in RED color and can share pictures? Thanks
There is a bubble on my factory applied screen protector. I do like the red color. Build quality is very nice in my opinion.

Attachments

• IMG20231219120317.jpg
    IMG20231219120317.jpg
    1,014.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG20231219120325.jpg
    IMG20231219120325.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Dec 19, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #6,787 of 6,859
<REMOVED>
Wrong thread, seems the forum software has some issues with keeping track of the session, added my comment on the thread in my last open browser tab instead of the one I was replying to.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 1:50 AM Post #6,788 of 6,859
Hiby Link has been game changing! Great to be able to carry my stack out and about and not have to take it out of the bag to switch songs.

Questions:
- Can the Hiby Music app control the coax digital output volume? I don't see an option on the playback screen. I'm on iOS if it matters.

Bugs/improvements:
- I see no way to change the menu language in the app.
- Like the Hiby OS UI, there is a lot of wasted space in the Hiby Music UI, mainly due to how tall the clickable text boxes are compared to the text itself. Hiby OS at least gives me the option to increase font size to make use of those empty spaces. Can't do that in the Hiby Music app.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #6,790 of 6,859
What's up with the UI of this thing? When I play a track it just sits at the track listing on the album, doesn't go into an album artwork view that shows the track position and what not.
There's a setting for this. The last toggle in the setting menu from the Music interface. I never thought about not going into the artwork view but I actually quite like it.

Dec 30, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #6,792 of 6,859
In your opinion. Some swear 4.4 "sounds better" but it never has to me. I'd be willling to bet they (you) wouldn't be able to tell any difference, consistently, in a blind A/B either. I'm more than happy with the sound and power out of the 3.5 thanks.
It has more power. This SHOULD increase dynamics, but would depend on the power needs of your iems. In my experience, the 4.4 does sound better.

Jan 2, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #6,793 of 6,859
Got a R3 II in for a demo for a couple of weeks, so far I really like the sound this little player puts out!

AirPlay has worked ok, although it was rather flakey when on my home WiFi. Hotspotting the R3 II to the phone seems to have no issue. Sometimes the artwork doesn't display properly on the R3 II, no idea why it would be inconsistent, but I could live with that as I'm controlling playback from the phone anyway.

File management on an SD card has been a real PITA tho I have to say.
First thing I did was pop my 400Gb card out of my SR25 and into the R3 II. Did a scan, let it run for a few minutes, and all was good.
Problems started when I wanted to try adding more to the card. I'm used to Android File Transfer from my Mac to either SR25 or my RS6, but that obviously won't work with the R3 II. The Mac still recognises R3 II as a USB device when I plug it in, but I see no folders/files or anything.

So I tried wireless, and browsed to the IP provided by the R3 II. Took ages for anything to come up, but when it did, I saw nothing, as in, none of the folders/files that were on the card. Putting the card back into the SR25 confirmed that the R3 II wiped the card. w.tf?

I then used Android File Transfer to copy a few folders/files back onto the card, popped it back into the R3 II, scanned, and voila, music again. All good.

BUT now this morning I go to use the R3 II and it can't find any music. Scan finds 0 files. W.TF again??

Seems like there are some magic tricks I'm not aware of to get music copied to and indexed onto an SD Card for this player, would appreciate some insight, thanks!

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #6,794 of 6,859
Got a R3 II in for a demo for a couple of weeks, so far I really like the sound this little player puts out!

AirPlay has worked ok, although it was rather flakey when on my home WiFi. Hotspotting the R3 II to the phone seems to have no issue. Sometimes the artwork doesn't display properly on the R3 II, no idea why it would be inconsistent, but I could live with that as I'm controlling playback from the phone anyway.

File management on an SD card has been a real PITA tho I have to say.
First thing I did was pop my 400Gb card out of my SR25 and into the R3 II. Did a scan, let it run for a few minutes, and all was good.
Problems started when I wanted to try adding more to the card. I'm used to Android File Transfer from my Mac to either SR25 or my RS6, but that obviously won't work with the R3 II. The Mac still recognises R3 II as a USB device when I plug it in, but I see no folders/files or anything.

So I tried wireless, and browsed to the IP provided by the R3 II. Took ages for anything to come up, but when it did, I saw nothing, as in, none of the folders/files that were on the card. Putting the card back into the SR25 confirmed that the R3 II wiped the card. w.tf?

I then used Android File Transfer to copy a few folders/files back onto the card, popped it back into the R3 II, scanned, and voila, music again. All good.

BUT now this morning I go to use the R3 II and it can't find any music. Scan finds 0 files. W.TF again??

Seems like there are some magic tricks I'm not aware of to get music copied to and indexed onto an SD Card for this player, would appreciate some insight, thanks!
Not sure it’ll help much: I am on Windows PC and had zero problem copying directly to the R3-II (make sure it is in “storage” mode in the settings), and had no issue through WiFi either (the R3-II starts an FTP-like server)…

I use a small .bat file stored on the sd card. The .bat file calls Windows “robocopy” utility to mirror my PC music library (actually OneDrive) to the sd.

Jan 2, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #6,795 of 6,859
The Mac still recognises R3 II as a USB device when I plug it in, but I see no folders/files or anything.

Have you checked “hidden folders“ in the menu bar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back