The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Feb 22, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #5,207 of 6,859
hi,
just wanted to share my personnal experience regarding the R3:
I bought it directly from the hiby site.
I thought i could use it to transfer high quality audio wirelessly by Ldac bluetooth to the mojo as some kind of poly replacement. I also ordered the coax cable on the site.
The thing is, there are way too many interferences between the two device so, as soon as you approach the R3 from the mojo, the sound degrades considerably (olny when wifi or bluetooth is on, otherwise the sound is good). This made the R3 completly useless for me. As far as sdcard reading is concerned, i have my samsung phone with audioplayer pro which does the job perfectly.
The device itself was a little bit disapointing for me, the sound is miles away from mojo (even from my dragonfly red) and the screen definition is only average. I don't have much experience regarding dap so i don't know how it compares to its rivals.
I consequently decided to return the product to hiby...but they refused argueing the fault was on the mojo sensitivity to interferences (i wonder why they sell such a small coax cable for the mojo then ...). So for potential buyers, be aware that the hiby site doesn't accept return at all and that was a complete surprise for me as in europe it is a legal obligation.
I have to sell this thing now i guess...
Ben
That's a bummer I also bought this Hiby R3 player and am also dissasitified with it. Sounds like the chinese our bombing everybody after there "Chinese New Year" Dc2c1nah
Does R6 has any isue like R3?
Yes

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 4:32 AM Post #5,209 of 6,859
hi guys - my Cayin N3 broke, and need to replace. I want to buy R3 but recent posts dont seem positive at all.

I use these portable devices for the gym - is the R3 worth it, or should I hold on with my phone and wait for this years DAP's to be released?

Thanks!

Feb 22, 2019 at 4:36 AM Post #5,211 of 6,859
hi guys - my Cayin N3 broke, and need to replace. I want to buy R3 but recent posts dont seem positive at all.

I use these portable devices for the gym - is the R3 worth it, or should I hold on with my phone and wait for this years DAP's to be released?

Thanks!
Have you heard about Earstudio ES100, I think it’s perfect for gymer like you :D

Feb 22, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #5,213 of 6,859
I was considering to buy R3 so i follow thread but many people dont like it, i'm confused. What do you guys recommend in same price range? I thought R3 is one of the best for $200.
I know some people are down on it now, for some reason, but I haven't had any major issues with my R3, and I love it. It's much better than my N3, which has been relegated to a drawer. If you're looking for a DAP and don't need about Tidal offline (which I don't), it's great now that the shuffle bug is mostly fixed.

I will second the ES100 recommendation if you're not looking for a stand-alone player. It's fantastic with my iPhone.

Feb 22, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #5,215 of 6,859
I was considering to buy R3 so i follow thread but many people dont like it, i'm confused. What do you guys recommend in same price range? I thought R3 is one of the best for $200.
I have been following the threads for several sub-$200 DAPs (HiBy R3, Shanling M0, Hidizs AP80) and NONE of them is perfect. I mean if you make a decision by reading other people's opinions and (bad) experiences - you would not buy any of them!
Just saying :wink:

Feb 22, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #5,216 of 6,859
I have been following the threads for several sub-$200 DAPs (HiBy R3, Shanling M0, Hidizs AP80) and NONE of them is perfect. I mean if you make a decision by reading other people's opinions and (bad) experiences - you would not buy any of them!
Just saying :wink:
Yes of course. Just looking for most suitable for my needs.

Feb 22, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #5,217 of 6,859
hi,
I thought i could use it to transfer high quality audio wirelessly by Ldac bluetooth to the mojo as some kind of poly replacement. I also ordered the coax cable on the site.
The thing is, there are way too many interferences between the two device so, as soon as you approach the R3 from the mojo, the sound degrades considerably (olny when wifi or bluetooth is on, otherwise the sound is good). This made the R3 completly useless for me. As far as sdcard reading is concerned, i have my samsung phone with audioplayer pro which does the job perfectly.
The device itself was a little bit disapointing for me, the sound is miles away from mojo (even from my dragonfly red) and the screen definition is only average. I don't have much experience regarding dap so i don't know how it compares to its rivals.
I consequently decided to return the product to hiby...but they refused argueing the fault was on the mojo sensitivity to interferences (i wonder why they sell such a small coax cable for the mojo then ...). So for potential buyers, be aware that the hiby site doesn't accept return at all and that was a complete surprise for me as in europe it is a legal obligation.
I have to sell this thing now i guess...
Ben
I also have noticed that mojo is sensitive to RF interference. Not only from the R3, but also from an iPhone SE. I had previously seen this iPhone audible RF issue when using one with an Oppo HA-2 DAC. Was similar between the Oppo and the Mojo, and since the only way around it was airplane mode. I sought out a DAP for the Mojo, and I settled on the R3 based on size and the availability of a coaxial input. I haven't turned on bluetooth or Wifi on the R3 for the same reason. Only using the pair with music I've purchased, not any Tidal streaming, so not an issue where I need the wireless connectivity.
If I wanted full wireless control and Mojo output, I guess the Poly is the only way to go, but I still think that's too expensive for what you get.

Feb 22, 2019 at 11:04 PM Post #5,218 of 6,859
So I just got a Hiby R3 and wanted to use it in my car. However my car doesn't have a 3.5mm aux input. It has 2 USB ports and then Bluetooth audio. I was thinking audio over USB would be better than Bluetooth? Unfortunately I can't just use the 3.5mm jack.

Is there anyway I can use the Hiby with one of the USB ports in my car?

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:29 AM Post #5,219 of 6,859
So I just got a Hiby R3 and wanted to use it in my car. However my car doesn't have a 3.5mm aux input. It has 2 USB ports and then Bluetooth audio. I was thinking audio over USB would be better than Bluetooth? Unfortunately I can't just use the 3.5mm jack.

Is there anyway I can use the Hiby with one of the USB ports in my car?
Set the USB mode on the R3 to storage and connect it to the car via the usual USB cable?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 23, 2019 at 2:48 AM Post #5,220 of 6,859
hi,
Ben

If you go to the head-fi Poly thread and search "RF interference" you'll find plenty of results. Here's one for example:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...on-1st-page-◄★☆.831347/page-762#post-14645150

If the issue persists with Chord's own $$$ dedicated device I would say it's safe to say the issue lies not with whatever is connected to the Mojo but with the Mojo itself.

The best use case for you seems to be to have the R3 play songs stored on its SD card, connected to the Mojo (which you can't do with your samsung phone unless you want it on airplane mode all the time)

You can also consider connecting the R3 to the Mojo via a longer cable (both USB OTG and coaxial digital are supported. In the case of the coaxial adapter cable sold separately, simply use a 3.5mm extension cable)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back