The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jul 21, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #3,766 of 6,874
R6 is smoother than R3 and soooo effortless sounding! Not to say the R3 is not good. It is! However, the R6 is on another level.
I just find the R3 a bit offensive in treble though with a smooth sounding iem, you have a very nice sounding combo.
How much higher level? :wink:
Would i notice a big difference immediately? Or would i need a much higher level iem (Pinnacle P1 is my daily driver) to notice? Will P1 pair with both (R3 or R6) well? Thanks GTJ, still trying to decide what i need.

Jul 22, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #3,769 of 6,874
I also found out that the sound from R3 usb output to Mojo is preferable to me. At the moment I am using cheap Vivanco 1m long cable and hearing the same differences that you and @surfgeorge described. That connection is not affected with R3 volume control as with coax cable and the sound a bit more open and everything from bass to soundstage is better for me.
Listening with HD800 and will also order the Shanling L2 cable.

I grabbed the equivalent fiio cable and it is working really well and was quite a bit cheaper. I can't comment on any Sonic comparisons... But it seems well made and has no issues so far.

Jul 22, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #3,771 of 6,874
Could you please show us some photos :)

Here you go.

1.PNG

2.PNG
3.PNG
4.PNG
5.PNG

Jul 22, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #3,772 of 6,874
Would i notice a big difference immediately? Or would i need a much higher level iem (Pinnacle P1 is my daily driver) to notice? Will P1 pair with both (R3 or R6) well? Thanks GTJ, still trying to decide what i need.
It's hard to quantify but the difference is there even if marginal.
My daily iems are Hifiman RE400 and TDK BA200 which are both delicate iems.
Personally I fancy clarity but not at the expence of smoothness as I'm a bit sensitive to treble peaks.
I have had several DAPs by Fiio, Cayin and iBasso and the R6 is the best.

That said, the R3 is amazing and the mentioned treble peaks tend to get smoothed out as you give it a few hours of listening.

Jul 22, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #3,773 of 6,874

I also have the P1 IEM.
With the R3 I find the sound bold, vibrant and sparkly. At the same time there is a smoothness and dark background.
So far so good, but the treble is a little hot for my taste (more with the silicone tips, less with the foam tips), and the whole impression is not natural, it feels rather processed.
To me it feels like an HDR photo from a phone - impressive at first but too processed to enjoy over a long time.

Paired with the Mojo, the P1 sounds very smooth, detailed and natural.

I have never heard the R6, but from what I read about it, and the similiarities and differences to the R3 it seems to be a much more refined version of the R3 sound, still bold, but refined. But again, I didn‘t hear it.

The form factor and user interface of the R3 is very nice though, and the R6 gets rave reviews in terms of usability.

Hope that helps a bit! Cheers!

Jul 22, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #3,774 of 6,874
It's hard to quantify but the difference is there even if marginal.
My daily iems are Hifiman RE400 and TDK BA200 which are both delicate iems.
Personally I fancy clarity but not at the expence of smoothness as I'm a bit sensitive to treble peaks.
I have had several DAPs by Fiio, Cayin and iBasso and the R6 is the best.

That said, the R3 is amazing and the mentioned treble peaks tend to get smoothed out as you give it a few hours of listening.
Thanks, that does help! I find the P1 pretty smooth with other sources. But i also am very irritated by harsh treble (4k to 8k in particular) but crave detail and love shimmer/extension in higher treble. (I build my own speaker systems and love ribbon tweeters). Conversely, love deep-extended-impactful-fast bass, but hate slow muddy bass.
I'm really looking for the highest resolution i can get (in price range) with the portability factor. And hoping the P1 pairs with what i get. Ive actually tried/have several other IEMs, but many just are not comfortable for my (small or weird canal?) ears, the P1 not just sounds decent, but is most comfortable for me, especially for extended listening time.

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #3,776 of 6,874
I also have the P1 IEM.
With the R3 I find the sound bold, vibrant and sparkly. At the same time there is a smoothness and dark background.
So far so good, but the treble is a little hot for my taste (more with the silicone tips, less with the foam tips), and the whole impression is not natural, it feels rather processed.
To me it feels like an HDR photo from a phone - impressive at first but too processed to enjoy over a long time.

Paired with the Mojo, the P1 sounds very smooth, detailed and natural.

I have never heard the R6, but from what I read about it, and the similiarities and differences to the R3 it seems to be a much more refined version of the R3 sound, still bold, but refined. But again, I didn‘t hear it.

The form factor and user interface of the R3 is very nice though, and the R6 gets rave reviews in terms of usability.

Hope that helps a bit! Cheers!
Thanks, surfgeorge! It does. Good description. Im definitely wanting detailed resolution yet smooth tones. Have you used the P1 on balanced output with R3? Wondering how much better the output/staging is on balanced with R3/6.

Jul 22, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #3,778 of 6,874
Thanks, surfgeorge! It does. Good description. Im definitely wanting detailed resolution yet smooth tones. Have you used the P1 on balanced output with R3? Wondering how much better the output/staging is on balanced with R3/6.

I use the PX which is basically the P1 with a simpler cable. I've used balance for a while but don't find much difference in terms of sound and soundstage separation. The only noticeable thing was the higher power output allows me to run slightly lower volumes (e.g. 40 low gain vs 60 if unbalanced).

Do note while balanced has higher power output and channel separation it's noiser - I was demoing Andromeda and it hisses from R3 balanced, not really for unbalanced.

Jul 22, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #3,780 of 6,874
I use the PX which is basically the P1 with a simpler cable. I've used balance for a while but don't find much difference in terms of sound and soundstage separation. The only noticeable thing was the higher power output allows me to run slightly lower volumes (e.g. 40 low gain vs 60 if unbalanced).

Do note while balanced has higher power output and channel separation it's noiser - I was demoing Andromeda and it hisses from R3 balanced, not really for unbalanced.
Thanks, gemmoglock. Was wondering about that, as i do not have a balanced cable for P1, or ever heard them thru a balanced output. My only experience is with my LG v20/P1 combo. The quad dac delivers more power with this phone too, but not necessarily better SQ. Really hoping to get a DAP that is equal or better in sq than my V20, so i dont have to always use the phone as player. Any more observations of comparisons with R3 (and/or R6) vs v20 phone? , or pairings with R3/6 with P1.? Thanks, guys.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back