The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jul 23, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #3,782 of 6,859
Hi Guys

Looking at purchasing this Dap, and want to run Via Coaxial cable , what cable do i need to get this to work ?

https://shop.musicteck.com/collections/accessories/products/type-c-to-coaxial-cable
Would this one be Ok ?

Cheers Steve

I have not personally tested this cable, but AFAIK HiBy, Cayin and Shanling are following the same standards with regards to the digital output on the USB-C connector. My Shanling L2 cable works on both the HiBy R3 and the Cayin N3, that supports this information as well.

So yes, this should work.
Good price, BTW. I was looking for that cable and it's much more expensive in Europe.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 4:24 AM Post #3,784 of 6,859
Hi FSTOP! No, I didn’t have a chance to listen to the balanced output of the R3 yet, since I don’t have a balanced cable.

I have not personally tested this cable, but AFAIK HiBy, Cayin and Shanling are followign the same standards with regards to the digital output on the USB-C connector. My Shanling L2 cable works on both the HiBy R3 and the Cayin N3, that supports this information as well.

So yes, this should work.
Good price, BTW. I was looking for that cable and it's much more expensive in Europe.
Thanks for the reply, I already have a Onkyo DAp but couldn't resist this one :k701smile::k701smile: Looks great value for the money.

Regards Steve

Jul 23, 2018 at 4:55 AM Post #3,785 of 6,859
Cheap bag that fits exactly

HTB1tQmDeTnI8KJjSszgq6A8ApXaX.jpg
k9xb29uyd

Jul 23, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #3,786 of 6,859
Thanks, gemmoglock. Was wondering about that, as i do not have a balanced cable for P1, or ever heard them thru a balanced output. My only experience is with my LG v20/P1 combo. The quad dac delivers more power with this phone too, but not necessarily better SQ. Really hoping to get a DAP that is equal or better in sq than my V20, so i dont have to always use the phone as player. Any more observations of comparisons with R3 (and/or R6) vs v20 phone? , or pairings with R3/6 with P1.? Thanks, guys.

I no longer have my V20. I would say sound is about the same sq as R3 with a slightly different presentation. The V20 treble seems to extend a tiny bit more but is softer in attack. V20 to my ears has a light midbass boost, whereas for R3 the boost is lower around the subbass. R3 overall has a slightly more fun sound that works well on the go but really not much different.

I only found PX sounding better on balanced when using ACG mode on my DP-S1 when I still had it, not much for balanced on R3. Check out my DP-S1 review, really cool ACG balanced mode implementation.

Jul 23, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #3,787 of 6,859
First things first. Just joined Head-Fi, thanks for having me.
On to the R3 and my experience thus far. Kickstarter backer #831. Seems I'm not the only one struggling with connecting via wifi. My normal wifi password contains several special characters, including a space. I think one or more of those characters are the cause of the failed connection attempts despite being available to use those characters in the keyboard. I changed my password to something only containing numbers and letters and the R3 connected with no hesitation. Hoping to hear back from Hiby with their fix.
Also, has anyone used their R3 to listen to music in their car via bluetooth? I drive a 2016 Civic and can't get the R3 connected using bluetooth. Any suggestions?
Otherwise I'm lovin my R3. Love the form factor and the quality audio it puts out. Just waiting now for my leather case.

Jul 23, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #3,788 of 6,859
Well its about time!

IMG_20180723_150228.jpg

Jul 23, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #3,789 of 6,859
Thanks, gemmoglock. Was wondering about that, as i do not have a balanced cable for P1, or ever heard them thru a balanced output. My only experience is with my LG v20/P1 combo. The quad dac delivers more power with this phone too, but not necessarily better SQ. Really hoping to get a DAP that is equal or better in sq than my V20, so i dont have to always use the phone as player. Any more observations of comparisons with R3 (and/or R6) vs v20 phone? , or pairings with R3/6 with P1.? Thanks, guys.
I am running the P1s with a balanced cable on the R3, and it's a great pairing. I don't notice any of the noise that was noted above, I think the Andromedas are more sensitive (or particular). The nice thing about balanced is that it also feeds the P1s extra power, which they thrive on. It's much better than straight out of my Cayin N3, which I think is somewhat comparable.

If you can find a nice balanced cable and get an adapter for those times you are plugging into something that's not balanced, I think it's a great upgrade.

Jul 23, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #3,790 of 6,859
First things first. Just joined Head-Fi, thanks for having me.
On to the R3 and my experience thus far. Kickstarter backer #831. Seems I'm not the only one struggling with connecting via wifi. My normal wifi password contains several special characters, including a space. I think one or more of those characters are the cause of the failed connection attempts despite being available to use those characters in the keyboard. I changed my password to something only containing numbers and letters and the R3 connected with no hesitation. Hoping to hear back from Hiby with their fix.
Also, has anyone used their R3 to listen to music in their car via bluetooth? I drive a 2016 Civic and can't get the R3 connected using bluetooth. Any suggestions?
Otherwise I'm lovin my R3. Love the form factor and the quality audio it puts out. Just waiting now for my leather case.

Just looked it up and WPA2 uses a passphrase of between 8 and 63 printable ASCII characters so it should work OK.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #3,791 of 6,859
I got the R3 mainly as a bluetooth player for my daily commute in New York City. I'm finding that the bluetooth connection with my wireless buds is not the best on busy streets with lots of interference. It cuts out quite a lot as I'm walking (no issues indoors though).

Like some others here I also bought the M0 at the same time. The bluetooth on the M0 is much more stable in busy environments...

Jul 23, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #3,793 of 6,859
Used the R3 with Micro BL using the ifi OTG cable. Brilliant pairing and nifty lil transport.

Jul 24, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #3,794 of 6,859
A quick question: When all phones are unplugged it says COAX on the top left of the screen. I didnt find any option for coax / USB. Can someone please be kind enough and tell me what im missing. Thanks

Jul 24, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #3,795 of 6,859
I am running the P1s with a balanced cable on the R3, and it's a great pairing. I don't notice any of the noise that was noted above, I think the Andromedas are more sensitive (or particular). The nice thing about balanced is that it also feeds the P1s extra power, which they thrive on. It's much better than straight out of my Cayin N3, which I think is somewhat comparable.

If you can find a nice balanced cable and get an adapter for those times you are plugging into something that's not balanced, I think it's a great upgrade.

Thanks for the feedback about the balanced cables - I think you saved me from cutting off the cable and soldering on a TRRS plug...
With regards to the R3 vs Cayin N3 I have a different impression. Actually I find the N3 to be a really nice player with a very natural and smooth presentation.
The R3 is without doubt the bolder one, and when switching back and forth it always impresses with clarity.
When I switch back to the N3 however, I really enjoy the smoothness and refinement.

I actually tried to tame the R3's processing with the MSEB, but never got it to really smoothe out.
I really wish there'd be a setting to get a more natural sound from the R3, because it seems that the underlying signal is clean and of high quality.
In a private discussion another head-fi reader shared the feeling of over-processed sound coming from the R3.
Reminds me a little of the way TV sets are set up at the shop - with overblown colors, sharpness and smoothing out of texture. I think most people would set them to a more natural picture style at home.

Long story short - the really nice UI and size/shape make the R3 the perfect transport for my Mojo, the N3 would be my preference for sound, so I guess I'll use it as a transport in the car or give it to my son :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back