The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jul 10, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #3,542 of 6,859
thanks everyone for the N3 vs R3 comparison, i think @surfgeorge got it right, R3 mids does kinda sound recessed specially when i listen to it through AUX in car, and R3 is the first DAP with this issue..i would love to have the same sound signature but with more forward mid.

any suggestion how to get that sound? or should i just buy N3?

Jul 10, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #3,543 of 6,859
I have mine hooked up to a 1TB Flash drive and it works just fine. Use it with R6 as well as my other DAPs.
Yes, but how many files are on the drive and are you using "shuffle all" mode? If so, there is a bug where libraries over say 7200-7300 files will not shuffle properly and certain files with "special" character will repeat over and over. There has yet to be any response by Hiby on this forum about this issue as well.

Jul 10, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #3,544 of 6,859
Yes, but how many files are on the drive and are you using "shuffle all" mode? If so, there is a bug where libraries over say 7200-7300 files will not shuffle properly and certain files with "special" character will repeat over and over. There has yet to be any response by Hiby on this forum about this issue as well.

As mentioned I got a reply :
"We got similar feedback from another user on the shuffle problem. We consider it a bug preliminarily, and we will check it soon. Thank you."

But headfonia pointed this out over 3 months ago with a pre-production unit. library file size is "officially" 15000. That should be increased.
Should not really need to create a playlist.m3u off all files to use shuffle.

Not to mentioned the other promised things.

Hiby should really mention all those known issues in a list

Jul 10, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #3,545 of 6,859
Well first off, i don't use shuffle play. I only play full albums, not various songs. In lew of that, I have 45 albums all 24/192 minimum. If I have a chance I will set them for shuffle and see what happens, but that won't be for a day or 2.

Jul 10, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #3,546 of 6,859
Mine finally arrived. Never did get a tracking number. DHL called promising to deliver Friday. They finally showed up Monday at 5PM (in a Hertz rent-a-truck). Very shaky fulfillment process.

Jul 10, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #3,547 of 6,859
I bought one of these players, and I am not a fan. IMHO their DLNA "Feature" is broken. Their implementation of DLNA involves having to run the Hiby application on your smartphone in order to get DLNA audio into the R3. This is broken. My phone plays DLNA audio quite well without the Hiby app or the Hiby R3. What I expected is the Hiby R3 to connect to the DLNA servers in my house, and give me a true, portable, single device player.

I am all ears for why this design may be good?

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #3,549 of 6,859
As mentioned I got a reply :
"We got similar feedback from another user on the shuffle problem. We consider it a bug preliminarily, and we will check it soon. Thank you."

But headfonia pointed this out over 3 months ago with a pre-production unit. library file size is "officially" 15000. That should be increased.
Should not really need to create a playlist.m3u off all files to use shuffle.

Not to mentioned the other promised things.

Hiby should really mention all those known issues in a list
That's fine but i have yet to see any kind of public response here on the forums about bug issues, especially since most of the backers have their units and we can get to test it on our own. Joe Bloggs is incommunicado at this point. Some type of public response and acknowledgement at least would be nice. At least to let us know these issues are being worked on.

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #3,550 of 6,859
Well first off, i don't use shuffle play. I only play full albums, not various songs. In lew of that, I have 45 albums all 24/192 minimum. If I have a chance I will set them for shuffle and see what happens, but that won't be for a day or 2.
You probably wont see the issue with 45 albums if this totals less than 1000 tracks. it occurs at ~ 7000 or so.

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #3,551 of 6,859
I had an exchange with Hiby service. They were no help at all, and very argumentative.

They won't be getting my business in the future. I rate these manufacturers this way from best to worst: Shanling, Hidizs, Fiio, Xduoo, Zishan, Hiby.

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #3,552 of 6,859
That's fine but i have yet to see any kind of public response here on the forums about bug issues, especially since most of the backers have their units and we can get to test it on our own. Joe Bloggs is incommunicado at this point. Some type of public response and acknowledgement at least would be nice. At least to let us know these issues are being worked on.

Absolutely, Hiby needs to make some kind of status update for us. There are numerous issues to be addressed, some relatively minor bugs and some major functionality problems. C'mon Hiby, it is time to make a statement.
Hiby, you delayed way too long on addressing the shipping issues! Don't show the same dysfunctional behavior again. As backers, we are your beta testers. We don't expect the units to be perfect. We do expect some kind of development plan for the issues.........even acknowledgement will help at this point. Work with us and we will help you make this unit great. Even on their own Facebook page and the Hiby User group Facebook page, no postings for a long time.

Jul 10, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #3,553 of 6,859
I had an exchange with Hiby service. They were no help at all, and very argumentative.

They won't be getting my business in the future. I rate these manufacturers this way from best to worst: Shanling, Hidizs, Fiio, Xduoo, Zishan, Hiby.

I agree on Shanling. In the old days, when Joe run customer service at FIIO, they were great. Don't know now. I was a bit turned off when FIIO claimed the X3 II "never supported" OTG when in fact it did until after firmware 1.4. I don't like corporate BS all that much.

Cayin is very good for support also.

I really can't explain why HiBy support seems to be in hibernation mode. Yes, the rollout was spotty but the units are now in the wild and its time to keep the promise as it were. I hope Joe still has a job, because they need him more than ever now..

If you were HiBy, you must be feeling some heat. They killed their old business model which was to be the microsoft for small audio manufacturers. Shanling already has their own OS and its pretty darn good. Cayin must be considering doing their own software or working with other vendors. HiBy is feeling pressure because the R3 early intro has been tough. But they can easily turn it around.

Then again, maybe if Cayin gave them a phone call they should take it.

But really, it is pretty dispiriting to have problems with gapless playback. Surely they have figured that out by now? Let alone the other issues like Hifi, tidal, random play, etc.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #3,554 of 6,859

agree.

I cant even browse in all songs, and the quick search on the right side just hangs. On the first letter it hangs on, anything after it is not available to select. Swiping up endlessly with the same song. Fixing that tag error, and it hangs on the next etc etc etc.

So, the all setting is useless now. Example, I have a song that starts with Ø, In all the library hangs at h then replicates that song endlessly. I cant select any song after g.

Jul 11, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #3,555 of 6,859
were there all these same problems with the R6 Indiegogo rollout or is what is being experienced with the R3 unique to the R3?
I don't understand most of the origami mumbo jumbo I'm reading that users are requesting from their device through and in reality I wasn't expecting much for the price paid and was pleased with what I got.
It seems better than the original Fiio X3 I have and the Gen 2 version as well and my Cowon Plenue D, AP60 and iPod Classic 5th Gen which cost as much if not more at the time I bought them.
The only thing cheaper that has also been surprisingly good is the Shanling M0 and I'm still waiting on my massdropped Hidiz AP60 Pro which cost in between the M0 and R6s
No problem with my cards/songs including DSD. no problems with my home wifi, no problems with streaming Tidal or bluetooth and the balanced out plug sounds great with my balanced earphones.
I don't know what I am doing wrong or maybe I just have poor taste/expectations in music or sound, but I'm more than happy with what I have based on what I paid for it.
The last thing I want are software changes (like apple) to get this device all complicated with a multitude of settings and functions I have no need for and will get lost with
I don't think they'll ever be able to please everyone who bought one of these most will just sell their's anyway if they think there's something better to buy
The normal routine is to fix things with a new device like Shanling, Fiio and all the other manufacturers cranking out product

Users who are viewing this thread

Back