The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jul 11, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #3,556 of 6,859
thanks everyone for the N3 vs R3 comparison, i think @surfgeorge got it right, R3 mids does kinda sound recessed specially when i listen to it through AUX in car, and R3 is the first DAP with this issue..i would love to have the same sound signature but with more forward mid.

any suggestion how to get that sound? or should i just buy N3?

Did you play with the MSEB settings?
I am not a huge fan of digital signal processing, but the MSEB is a pretty interesting implementation.

IMHO buing an N3 additionally only makes sense if you need/want an additional DAP for the car, and are willing to either control it via the HiBy App or are aware that the user interface and screen are far from the quality of the R3.
Now if you would consider spending money on a Chord Mojo I would certainly recommmend that, but at that price level the HiBy R6 is an interesting all-in-one package alternative.

Jul 11, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #3,560 of 6,859
I bought one of these players, and I am not a fan. IMHO their DLNA "Feature" is broken. Their implementation of DLNA involves having to run the Hiby application on your smartphone in order to get DLNA audio into the R3. This is broken. My phone plays DLNA audio quite well without the Hiby app or the Hiby R3. What I expected is the Hiby R3 to connect to the DLNA servers in my house, and give me a true, portable, single device player.

I am all ears for why this design may be good?
Are you using the dropdown for setting DLNA?
There is a setting under wireless in settings for system also.

Jul 11, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #3,568 of 6,859
Damn! Judging from the tracking, I'm only gonna get this **** next week and I can't wash this **** off for an acceptable price!
Well, that's what a major online retailer told me when I called them. He didn't say how much they will be selling them for though. Anyway, I just received a used R3 and am EXTREMELY happy. I'm using mine as a transport, so, most the complaints I've read on here shouldn't effect me. This little thing is incredible.

Oh, I should add one thing: If you're a really big dude, or, an older person with really bad eyesight, this DAP may be a mistake for you.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #3,569 of 6,859
I agree on Shanling. In the old days, when Joe run customer service at FIIO, they were great. Don't know now. I was a bit turned off when FIIO claimed the X3 II "never supported" OTG when in fact it did until after firmware 1.4. I don't like corporate BS all that much.

Cayin is very good for support also.

I really can't explain why HiBy support seems to be in hibernation mode. Yes, the rollout was spotty but the units are now in the wild and its time to keep the promise as it were. I hope Joe still has a job, because they need him more than ever now..

If you were HiBy, you must be feeling some heat. They killed their old business model which was to be the microsoft for small audio manufacturers. Shanling already has their own OS and its pretty darn good. Cayin must be considering doing their own software or working with other vendors. HiBy is feeling pressure because the R3 early intro has been tough. But they can easily turn it around.

Then again, maybe if Cayin gave them a phone call they should take it.

But really, it is pretty dispiriting to have problems with gapless playback. Surely they have figured that out by now? Let alone the other issues like Hifi, tidal, random play, etc.

They can turn it around, if they wanted to before retail sales etc. But as mentioned the total silence on reported issues here, on kickstarter or that fbook thing speaks volumes.
It is never a good sign when a company goes dark or cherry pick questions. Also not a good thing to be "untruthful" in an answer when it is so easy to check it. As in the all songs list bug, saying they have had one reported issue before when it is mentioned in second post here some 5 months ago.

If you have known about the bug for 5 months already, what should I read into the statement "we will check it soon"

Jul 12, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #3,570 of 6,859
I have not been impressed with headphone out on this thing, but it's so cool to FINALLY have a device without connection issues & that can control volume with reasonable increments on my dac/amp.
9938201_l.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back