The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jul 4, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #3,286 of 6,859
Here is my MSEB settings for RHA MA750i;

overall temp: 0
bass ext: +20
bass text: +20
note thickness: 0
vox: +20
fem ot: +20
sib low: 0
sib hi: 0
IR: 0
air: 0

EQ: none

With these settings regardless of music genres RHAs sounds fan-tas-tic to me. Hope it helps for anyone looking for it.

Jul 4, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #3,287 of 6,859
Not sure if that was mentioned in the thread, how it is as a transport?
Particularly interested in combination with ifi audio idsd micro black label. Does anyone have such a pair?

P.S. My r3 is still somewhere in Hong Kong as per the latest tracking info.

I received my R3 yesterday. Once DHL actually got the unit, delivery was very fast. I will put the shipping muddle behind me. Hope those who haven't received theirs yet will get it soon.

The IEMs and headphones I've tried with the unit sound very good. This is a $200 device, but sounds like a $500 instrument. I was surprised how well it drives my Shure SRH1540 full size headphones from such a small package. I am pleased with the overall sound quality. The sound stage should open up as it burns in.

One of my uses will be as a transport to an iFi idsd micro (original not black). The sound quality with this combo is superb with good balance and tone(very slightly warm), incredible level of detailing and very musical. I'll critique the SQ more after 100 hours of use.
One issue I'm having is a loud crack when playback switches tracks. This does not happen when using the R3 alone, only when used as a usb dac transport.. Also, if you use with a usb dac, be sure to switch the usb mode from usb to dac. If you leave it in usb it will work but give you connection and playback issues.

I'm pleased to have the R3. I need to play with it to get used to the GUI and functionality. I trust you gadget guys to get Hiby to fix the many functional issues.

P.S. Battery seems to run down very fast, perhaps it is because I'm playing with the controls constantly. Need to keep an eye on this. Can someone comment on battery life they are getting

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #3,288 of 6,859
Something I’m confused about. When usb c port is set to DAC, is that meant for people who want to use the R3 as a DAC, or for people who want to use the R3 with a DAC, i.e. Mojo etc. In other words, what is being output through that port when set to DAC?

Jul 4, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #3,289 of 6,859
I had B400. Sadly, was not impressed. They hissed on every source i tried, was very apparent. Quality was good, and very comfortable. Maybe there was something wrong w my unit. Sound quality wise, i like DD iems better, gives better extension and depth on the low end. Havent heard comets though. My end_of_the_line iem is IMR R1. Expensive, but it does everything well. Another gem of IEMs is Periodic audio BE, great extensions both ways, lows and highs. I would advise looking into Periodic Mg, Ti, BE along with CA Comet, Fiio FH1 ( had that and F9 pro, loved the way the pro is made, sound was not as good in the lows ).
Your b400 may have been faulty as there is definitely no hiss at all with mine + r3. It could also be that they just don’t suit your taste. After all we all hear differently and have different ear anatomy that affects the way we hear music.

Jul 4, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #3,290 of 6,859
Your b400 may have been faulty as there is definitely no hiss at all with mine + r3. It could also be that they just don’t suit your taste. After all we all hear differently and have different ear anatomy that affects the way we hear music.

I wonder which is more comfortable? B400 or ca comet

Jul 4, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #3,292 of 6,859
First time I’ve had a chance to check on the r3 shuffle play today so far 15 tracks in of 1500 and no problems at all. My r3 came with 90% charge, f/w already updated to latest version, a manual in the box and both screen protectors installed ( glass protector and rear protector in box also ). Album art displays fine 600*600 seems to be right size if a little lag to display while scrolling.

Jul 4, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #3,293 of 6,859
I wonder which is more comfortable? B400 or ca comet
Don’t have comet to compare. Thought about it, but not that flush at the moment!

Jul 4, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #3,296 of 6,859
Ha ha I know the feeling, would you say b400 is comfortable and not huge?
It is comfortable for my ear anatomy, the nozzle is a bit on the short side though and the bore is a bit narrow meaning getting the right tips is a bit of a challenge. But once you have them sealing correctly they are a sweet sounding iem! I’m on jury service for a fortnight 90 mins travelling to and from on bus is giving me plenty of time to appreciate my new r3 / b400 combination. (I’ve settled on the supplied foam tips at the moment for comfort).

Jul 4, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #3,297 of 6,859
It is comfortable for my ear anatomy, the nozzle is a bit on the short side though and the bore is a bit narrow meaning getting the right tips is a bit of a challenge. But once you have them sealing correctly they are a sweet sounding iem! I’m on jury service for a fortnight 90 mins travelling to and from on bus is giving me plenty of time to appreciate my new r3 / b400 combination. (I’ve settled on the supplied foam tips at the moment for comfort).

Thanks, at least if I get them on amazon I could return them easily if they hurt my ears.

Jul 4, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #3,298 of 6,859
Thanks, at least if I get them on amazon I could return them easily if they hurt my ears.
I have had fit problems with iems in the past, it feels like they’re trying to bore into my head if the nozzles are to long or wide. B400 is far and away one of the most comfortable multi-ba iems I’ve had, trinity were ok with short nozzles but I couldn’t get on with the longer ones.

Jul 4, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #3,299 of 6,859
I have had fit problems with iems in the past, it feels like they’re trying to bore into my head if the nozzles are to long or wide. B400 is far and away one of the most comfortable multi-ba iems I’ve had, trinity were ok with short nozzles but I couldn’t get on with the longer ones.

Yes I’m a little worried about the width and long looking nozzles of the comet . Smaller iems like akt8ie and ue700 and ie800 are all comfy in my ears.

Jul 4, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #3,300 of 6,859
Yes I’m a little worried about the width and long looking nozzles of the comet . Smaller iems like akt8ie and ue700 and ie800 are all comfy in my ears.
I don’t have any of those, so I can’t comment on them. B400 has a nicely rounded shell, small bore short nozzle. Sounds like a good bet for you, however order on amazon and you’ll have all bases covered so to speak! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back