The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Apr 2, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #661 of 6,859
For one of the early reviewers (@Hawaiibadboy) or maybe @Joe Bloggs, is there any concern about double amping with using the line out - as most reviewers comment that it's not a true line out.

The headphone amp stage cannot be bypassed when you use it as a line out. That does limit some performance parameters to the level offered by the headphone amp stage. On the other hand, a line input is the "lightest load" possibly presented to an amplifier, so the headphone out will perform at its best (as shown by the performance parameters) when working as a line out. In other words, statistically it will not be as good as a true line out, but still better than when you connect any headphones directly to it.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 2, 2018 at 4:42 AM Post #664 of 6,859
The headphone amp stage cannot be bypassed when you use it as a line out. That does limit some performance parameters to the level offered by the headphone amp stage. On the other hand, a line input is the "lightest load" possibly presented to an amplifier, so the headphone out will perform at its best (as shown by the performance parameters) when working as a line out. In other words, statistically it will not be as good as a true line out, but still better than when you connect any headphones directly to it.

Thanks @Joe Bloggs, will definately do a bit of testing when first production run ships.

Apr 2, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #667 of 6,859
Is Tidal offline playback going to be supported?

Apr 2, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #669 of 6,859
I can't wait for this and see how the Clears sound with it.

Apr 2, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #670 of 6,859
Good luck on the R3 campaign! I’d love to see a comparative table that shows the hardware/software, specs, and feature differences between the R6 and R3. Trying to explain to my friend why I’d also get an R3 when I already have the seemingly much better R6, lol — it’s a good question!

What else does HiBy have in the pipeline for product releases in the near future?

Apr 2, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #671 of 6,859
Trying to explain to my friend why I’d also get an R3 when I already have the seemingly much better R6, lol — it’s a good question!
Size differences if nothing else. The r3 looks smaller than the r6 so that may have some bearing on whether you want it or not. Then there is the much talked about impedence "issue".

Apr 2, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #673 of 6,859
I assume Spotify streaming is still a work in progress and may even not make it onto the device in the future ?

That's the current status. From my understanding Spotfiy would need to open up the API to allow a native version of the application on an otherwise unknown OS.

On the other hand however, if you use Spotify on any Bluetooth enabled device, you can use the R3 as a receiver for the signal which would be 95% of the same outcome.

Is Tidal offline playback going to be supported?

Refer to @Joe Bloggs post up a few. This is a work is in progress (as this is a new thing that Tidal are working on as well), and won't be confirmed until it's done.

Apr 2, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #675 of 6,859
@Hawaiibadboy , have you played around with the MSEB equalizer? I heard you say that the hiby r3 is warm and loses some detail, but the first option on the equalizer is to make the sound colder or warmer. Does it help bring back some of the missing details?
he had posted earlier that in his version, the mseb functionality was not present by default. So he was not able to get the full experience of the r3 dap's sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back