The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jun 7, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #5,566 of 6,859
Quick question: Why is the L/R balance control greyed out when using the digital output? As someone who relies on a balance control for most playback, this drives me crazy. And limits me to devices with a working Rockbox port when using an external DAC.

I'm not aware of a single DAC on the market with a balance control, so why eliminate such a crucial feature from the transport?

Any chance of remedying this in a future firmware update?

Which digital output are you referring to--coax or usb?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 7, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #5,568 of 6,859
I'll have to check but the controls enabled / disabled does differ a bit between coax and usb if I recall correctly.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 7, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #5,569 of 6,859
I'll have to check but the controls enabled / disabled does differ a bit between coax and usb if I recall correctly.

I just tried connecting to my Audio gd DAC via USB and I had the same result. Balance is greyed out and nonworking.

It would be great to have a useable balance control in both USB and coax mode!

Jun 8, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #5,574 of 6,859
Firmware 3.2 Custom

3.2 International ver. (from Kickstarter);
3.2 Chinese ver. (from JD and so on, rename the file to r3.upt before updating)

1. corrected translation (Russian and English),
2. replaced the font with a new one by XVortex,
3. customized both themes (some pictures, icons, their locations, etc. were replaced), increased font size in some places. Main screen in second theme is based on the Hexagon theme by Steven Van Geert (see FB HiBy thread),
4. repaired choosing colors sliders in the second theme,
5. added adb (Android Debug Bridge),
6. replaced the index page when connected to PC via Wi-Fi (now always in English), changed sort order (folders go first, then files, in order of names: at the beginning the numbers, then Latin, then Russian) and following file formats have been added: upt, txt, log, and t,
7. added a radio to the top bar and replaced the built-in chinese radio stations (40 stations now), others you can persanally add to radio.txt file and put it in the root of your sd card,
8. all binary files have been striped,
9. optimized all *png files,
10. removed unnecessary files and folders that are not used,
11. extended database limit to 65000 tracks,
12. automatically connecting to known Wi-Fi networks,
13. added automatically start playback after player is turning on (you should add in the root of sd card file key_settings.conf with "autoplay=1" line).

Last update: 31.05.2019

A playlist option containing recently added tracks has finally been added in the new update. Yes, yes, YES!

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #5,575 of 6,859
All that's missing now is the ability to search for specific songs in the playlist/favorites menus! Right now, searching for a specific song in those categories is almost impossible because neither are alphabetized and there's no search option (the alphabet list located on the right side) like the one found in the all songs menu.

Please make it happen!

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #5,576 of 6,859
I just tried connecting to my Audio gd DAC via USB and I had the same result. Balance is greyed out and nonworking.

It would be great to have a useable balance control in both USB and coax mode!
I use the R3 99% as digital source for the Mojo and the most important feature is unmanipulated, bit perfect output.
So it’s imperative to have the option that the DSP can be bypassed.

Please consider that use case in any decision about future upgrade

Jun 9, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #5,578 of 6,859
Updating the firmware that supposedly gives the option of recently added to the database I realized my one issue with the R3 and I’m sure it’s true with other similar players, in that if you add one album and you have a good size database you have to wait thru a total SD card scan

Jun 9, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #5,580 of 6,859
Is this update not available via OTA yet? My R3 says it's current. ?

I updated the latest custom firmware via SD card, so I’m not certain myself.

One negative thing about the recently added playlist is that sometimes it loads up the songs so slowly. All I see is the rotating icon for about a minute (or slightly less), so I do wish this would be rectified with a future update.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back