The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jan 16, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #5,071 of 6,859
I think we need to keep in mind that the R3 is competing on the lower end of the mid-tier DAP market and more focused on budget oriented customers.
Considering that their product is actually really quite good.
And based on my testing I can clearly hear a loss in quality when activating the signal processing (EQ) on the R3, which would kind of make the gain of using HiRes data with EQ questionable IMHO.
I see no reason to trash HiBy for that. They are not perfect, but offer good value for the money.

Nah man, the R3 is advertised as a Hi-res device. The Sony NW-A55 is as well and has no trouble w EQ at any resolution for the same price!? Why are you so happy to settle for BS. I call it how I see it.

Jan 16, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #5,072 of 6,859
Hi all. Here is the body of the message I sent to HiBy support, with some additional info I've discovered while waiting for a reply... <in brackets>

I hope that it's my unfamiliarity with the unit. However, since the same SDXC card in a competitor's unit behaves much better, I wonder.

Hi, I just received a HiBy R3.

Things seem to be working well except for:

a) album art
64 gig exfat card, <class 10 UHS1> tested good by various OS's and applications,
approximately 6000 songs, all in .mp3 format.
artwork is baseline, 600x600. embedded in tags. <or smaller resolution>

This card Plays and displays properly on your competitor's units.

<futher elaboration Power on unit, it boots, file playback is set to "shuffle" Go to song list, pick any song, it starts playback>

When a song is chosen, and begins playback, it takes over 1 minute for the R3 to update the artwork. The curent song title and artist displays properly.
Songs are set to shuffle. Happens with each song change.

<unit is set to no backlight timer, unit display stays on. Change occurs at after 1 minute of playback, varies, between 1 minute 7 seconds, to 1 minute 10 seconds)

b) if "next" is pressed while the song "a" is playing. <unit displays "a" song artwork - after 1 minute or so>
song "b" begins playing - displays song "a" artwork.
after waiting the 1 minute or so, the artwork will change to the "b" song.

c) If song "a" is playing, and is displaying the proper artwork.
pressing next will advance to the next song "b", displays "a" artwork.
if next is pressed again - will advance to song "c" but displays "a" artwork.
"a" artwork remains until the song advances to "d", and after the 1 minute + wait.
on occasion, I've noticed that the song title and performer info (tag info?) does not change. it will display the "b" song info while "c" is playing.
i.e. play song, don't like it, next, still not liking it, next

I "think" this is tied to the display being refreshed (or not being refreshed as it may) This behaviour is noticed when there isn't any backlight timeout
(constantly on - since I've been watching it.)
If I set it to say, off after 30 seconds, the unit;s display will go off. pressing the power button to turn the display back on, once or twice I've noticed that
the unit will display the currently playing artwork.

Nonetheless, whether on backlight timer off mode, or constant on, it will not advance to the next album art.

c) bluetooth
my car has a unit that requires a random pin to be confirmed on the unit being paired to the stereo
if I try to pair, and then tell the car unit that the pin matches, (no way to confirm this on the R3) it seems to pair, I see track info on the head unit, but the R3 is paused, and i cannot get the unit to begin playing. either from the R3 or the car stereo.
I have to reset the unit afterwards
The R3 seems to pair well with a pair of powered bluetooth speakers and my home stereo I have.
<have tried the various bluetooth modes

d) usb
my car has a feature to play files from a USB device. when I attach the R3, i get the message to "check usb storage". When I use a flash drive, it reads properly. Need to reset the unit after this.

e) hang up / freezes / non responsive.
I haven't been able to duplicate the circumstances, but several times the unit was non responsive to either the phyiscal buttons (advance, reverse, pause) and the touchscreen advance / reverse / pause.
I have to reset the device again to get it to function.

I'm hoping it's a setting, or combination of settings that's causing the issues.
If you can assist me in getting the R3 to function, I would greatly appreciate it.
It seems like a really good unit otherwise.

The unit has been updated to the current firmware (via wi-fi and OTA)

Thank you all for reading this, and I appreciate your comments, suggestions and solutions!

Bill

Jan 16, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #5,073 of 6,859
All my music is flac and in each folder I have a jpg called folder and are either 500x500 or 600x600. I also have the same size artwork embedded in each file. I have no problems with art showing. All my music is tagged using Tag & Rename

Jan 17, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #5,076 of 6,859
Thanks for the replies...

I'm a bit confused. Are you suggesting that there is an issue with the files?

If so, are there differences in the way the R3 handles files, versus say a Cayin N3 (I have it, and it plays the files properly, and displays the correct image when the song is playing or changed)

I'm trying to wrap my head around what is the cause of this behavour...

thanks

Jan 17, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #5,077 of 6,859
So, I've been writing wishing for the R3 to stream MQA on TIDAL. I just noticed that the newly released FIIO M6 is able to fully stream TIDAL Masters through its Android operating system - which is pretty cool. Sure would be nice to see that on the R3.

Jan 17, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #5,078 of 6,859
Seeing various buggy issues wih R3 are the company good and updating the software and responding to tweaks requests ?

Jan 18, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #5,079 of 6,859
Found an entry on some forum that stated that the album art file dimensions should be as close to the player's size.

I used dbpoweamp's batch feature to resize everything to 300x300 (the art was all over the place)

It kinda made sense, since the image would not update, or update slowly.

Reset the device from the menu, and then re-scanned an sd card with the newly resized file art.

Same behaviour - choose a file, and it updates after 1 minute.
skip, it continues displaying the previous file's artwork until after 1 minute - 1 minute 10 seconds....

thought this would make a difference, but it doesn't.

Jan 18, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #5,080 of 6,859
I got it at the Kickstarter campaign but I didn't really use it that much. Most probably because I bought an M0 at about the same time and was just using that as a BT receiver with my phone. But I've just started using the R3 'in anger' over the last few days and the overall experience is rather good but there are a few niggles and issues I faced. Some (probably most, if not all) has probably been covered already.

The already well-voiced side button gripe is real. May have been exaggerated slightly on this thread, but it's there and reminded every time you try and press a button in your pocket.
FW2.1 is quite laggy and found myself inadvertently selecting (playing) songs instead of just selecting album. FW1.16 (which was my previous FW) was much snappier.
The compulsory volume control on coax is very annoying. Switching between Mojo stack and just R3 is now a cumbersome experience because I have to manually bring the volume up/down from 100 every time I switch outputs. I gave up trying to compare the 2. Should have been a fun experiment but no.
Am I missing something with MSEB? Apart from the 'overall temperature' there are 10 sliders that affect particular aspects of the bandwidth. But there's a 10 band EQ below it... Is it just the same thing but laid out differently for layman's sake? I'm currently happily using MSEB and I have no qualms about being labeled a layman, btw.
When it is being a BT receiver, it says SBC when connected to my iPhone. Is there no AAC? If there is, how do I select it?
Also, is there a way to connect to HibyLink without it connecting automatically as a receiver first?

Other than that, it's bloody marvelous. It's true purpose in life (I believe) is to be stacked with the Mojo and embarrass the Poly. Mission accomplished with distinction.

p.s. a white case? What were you thinking! lol

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #5,081 of 6,859
Interesting...

The slow display of artwork, not changing the artwork after pressing "next" or "previous", not updating the artwork after turning on the display...

The unit was using the latest firmware on the hiby website 2.1

On a whim, I decided to try and load 2.01 on the unit. Did the update via the SD card route - success.

And what do you know - the lagginess and non-responsive display of album art seems to not be in this version of the update!
I can navigate backwards, and forwards, turn off the display, advance or go back, and the correct artwork is displayed! Even multiple presses of "forwards" will have the correct artwork displayed.

I'm using an SD card that has various sizes of album art, and the player seems to like the different art sizes.

I'm not sure about the other issues (bluetooth, USB), I'll probably investigate those later today or tonight.

Jan 18, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #5,082 of 6,859
Finally received my R3 after a long waiting time. Ordered in November when Black Friday deal was up. Unfortunately first parcel got lost but Hiby sent me another one. Was pretty disappointed at first but in the end Hiby support handled it quite well.

First impressions of player are very good!
Sound quality is amazing - extremely detailed and revealing. Top end has good emphasis but is rarely sounding harsh. Vocals come clear and pronounced and also the bass has good weight and impact.
Imaging is very good. Soundstage is good - not extremely wide, still pretty good. In comparison the AP80 has better soundstage I would say (AP80 offers incredible value for price) but overall the Hiby is a tiny bit better. Especially the screen of the Hiby is vivid and more responsive, nice to interact with.
Still want to try Tidal functionality and see if I can download tracks for offline usage...

Jan 18, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #5,083 of 6,859
Finally received my R3 after a long waiting time. Ordered in November when Black Friday deal was up. Unfortunately first parcel got lost but Hiby sent me another one. Was pretty disappointed at first but in the end Hiby support handled it quite well.

First impressions of player are very good!
Sound quality is amazing - extremely detailed and revealing. Top end has good emphasis but is rarely sounding harsh. Vocals come clear and pronounced and also the bass has good weight and impact.
Imaging is very good. Soundstage is good - not extremely wide, still pretty good. In comparison the AP80 has better soundstage I would say (AP80 offers incredible value for price) but overall the Hiby is a tiny bit better. Especially the screen of the Hiby is vivid and more responsive, nice to interact with.
Still want to try Tidal functionality and see if I can download tracks for offline usage...
Unfortunately, there is no offline Tidal. But it is a really nice unit otherwise.

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #5,084 of 6,859
Nah man, the R3 is advertised as a Hi-res device. The Sony NW-A55 is as well and has no trouble w EQ at any resolution for the same price!? Why are you so happy to settle for BS. I call it how I see it.
tbh you cant compare NW-A55 with R3 in terms of EQ. im a proud owner of NW-A55, and their EQ quality is beyond its price, i can name some of the >$500 DAP which EQ doesnt work as good as NW-55. Sony is different breed in term of digital engineering

Jan 19, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #5,085 of 6,859
tbh you cant compare NW-A55 with R3 in terms of EQ. im a proud owner of NW-A55, and their EQ quality is beyond its price, i can name some of the >$500 DAP which EQ doesnt work as good as NW-55. Sony is different breed in term of digital engineering

Lol of course I can. Sony gets a lot of things right. That doesn't mean I should expect less of a similarly priced device, particularly when said device is advertised as high-res. Imo that EQ not being able to work with hi-res music files is a big-time fail from Hiby - mainly because the high-res claim is misleading. I never once heard or read from Hiby the R3 didn't have that capability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back