The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Nov 20, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #4,711 of 6,874
Hi all, this dap is on my shortlist, I've read through the pages and was after some actual user feedback on the following....

1) how is the bi directional Bluetooth performance? For example spotify or SoundCloud to R3?
2) perfectly working Gapless playback?
3) dnla streaming from Nas?

Thanks

1) CHECK - Its good (although never used it with online streaming services)
2) CHECK - No problems
3) FAIL - Doesn't exist. DLNA ability falsely advertised. The only way to play music on the R3 from a NAS, is to go to a computer, login to your NAS, send the music FROM the NAS to the R3 (if it shows up that is). Alternatively, you can access your NAS with a 3rd party device (i.e. smartphone, ipod) and bluetooth the songs to the R3.... :confounded:

For me, having WIFI / DLNA function was the selling point on me purchasing this DAP. Big disappointment to discover it is unable to connect remotely to DLNA. The R3 is just gathering dust! Our 5 year old ipod does a far better job in the connectivity region than this R3.
If DLNA is important to you... you should go and look at a different brand of DAP.

IMO, HIBY should stick to just being a 3rd party software company.

Nov 20, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #4,713 of 6,874
Player freezes and then restarts while scrolling through a long playlist. While scrolling through all music files, the screen stops in the "W" section (Wicked Garden) even though I have songs that start with X, Y, Z and other symbols.

I thought it was an issue with 1.16, so I upgraded to 2.0, but the problem persists.

Anyone have this issues? I'm gonna take a vid of the issue and send it to Hiby.

Nov 20, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #4,714 of 6,874
I have the R3 with a Chord mojo. Seems the R3 does the first unfold and passes it on to the Mojo. I get a yellow/green light which stands for 88/96 samplerates.

Since MQA content is pretty much not accessable on R3 itself, I installed a neat little App called Mconnect which does DLNA through phone wifi hotspot when Im on the go. Just works! Tidal (MQA) catalog fully accesable and organized.

Hope this helps some with same interest.

Thank you very much. I remembered MconnectHD when you mentioned it as i used to use to stream to Marantz reciever. Tried your suggestion and it works flawlessly.
One question: How to you play an album without having to keep hitting next as it stops after one track or repeat.

I don’t want to have to add every track to a playlist?

Thanks again awesome...

Nov 20, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #4,718 of 6,874
You may need a different cable depending on what phones your using. An adapter won't cut it going from 3.5 standard to 2.5 balanced

I have Audeze, LCD-2, isine 20, EL-8 Closed, Mobius, Focal Elear and Sony 1000 MX3. For which ones I can get balanced cable? Can you please post a sample link? Is all balanced cables are 2.5mm?
Thanks for your quick reply.

Nov 20, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #4,719 of 6,874
I have Audeze, LCD-2, isine 20, EL-8 Closed, Mobius, Focal Elear and Sony 1000 MX3. For which ones I can get balanced cable? Can you please post a sample link? Is all balanced cables are 2.5mm?
Thanks for your quick reply.

Fire up the google machine and use the make/model of the phones you want to go balanced with. Got a ton of hits searching re your LCD2.

You may want to go balanced on the isine 20. I'm not sure I'd try to go balanced using the El 8 because of the connectors those use. I'd def go balanced on the LCD 2. Not sure if there's too many balanced cables out for the Mobius yet. Try Moon audio, Surf cables, or if you end up on ebay, LQI makes some good cables too.

Here's a sample: https://www.moon-audio.com/silver-dragon-for-audeze-isine-earphones.html

Moon audio is on the expensive side..

The isine 20 uses a 2 pin connector. Also pay attention to whether the cable you're looking at is copper or silver plated. Silver plated cables tend to be brighter sounding. I tend to be treble sensitive, so brightness is a no-no for me.

There are other types of balanced cables - 4.4mm (Sony players use these), and the 4 pin which you may have seen on some amps, or amp/DACs

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #4,720 of 6,874
Thank you very much. I remembered MconnectHD when you mentioned it as i used to use to stream to Marantz reciever. Tried your suggestion and it works flawlessly.
One question: How to you play an album without having to keep hitting next as it stops after one track or repeat.

I don’t want to have to add every track to a playlist?

Thanks again awesome...

Heya,

There should be a play button on top of the Playlist/album. Tap on that instead of a track.

Nov 21, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #4,722 of 6,874
Player freezes and then restarts while scrolling through a long playlist. While scrolling through all music files, the screen stops in the "W" section (Wicked Garden) even though I have songs that start with X, Y, Z and other symbols.

I thought it was an issue with 1.16, so I upgraded to 2.0, but the problem persists.

Anyone have this issues? I'm gonna take a vid of the issue and send it to Hiby.

Forwarded from their Facebook page: You can have a try.

【R3 URGENT FIX】

We fixed the bug on firmware 2.0 that when playing cue files, switching to the next track will cause the buttons become invalid. Please get OTA update to 2.01 asap.

You can also download the international version firmware to manually update here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtuiwfIBRYFEgcFcnagqqGZVWpGbFA.

The simulator for the custom theme function on firmware 2.01: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnF9EM1zLHWfgUUG_-WyeHMPMbmx.

Nov 21, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #4,723 of 6,874
1) CHECK - Its good (although never used it with online streaming services)
2) CHECK - No problems
3) FAIL - Doesn't exist. DLNA ability falsely advertised. The only way to play music on the R3 from a NAS, is to go to a computer, login to your NAS, send the music FROM the NAS to the R3 (if it shows up that is). Alternatively, you can access your NAS with a 3rd party device (i.e. smartphone, ipod) and bluetooth the songs to the R3.... :confounded:

For me, having WIFI / DLNA function was the selling point on me purchasing this DAP. Big disappointment to discover it is unable to connect remotely to DLNA. The R3 is just gathering dust! Our 5 year old ipod does a far better job in the connectivity region than this R3.
If DLNA is important to you... you should go and look at a different brand of DAP.

IMO, HIBY should stick to just being a 3rd party software company.

The R3 is acting as a DLNA renderer - That is, any DLNA controller on the same network can ' cast ' to the R3 and make the R3 play music stored elsewhere. But, to do this, something other than the R3 has to take the initiative,i.e. the R3 itself is not a DLNA controller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back