The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jul 18, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #3,721 of 6,859
just wanted to say that R3 and Ibasso IT01 is the perfect harmony *.*
Newest FW.update killed the loop bug in shuffle mode caused by the Umlauts etc. but now (@Joe Bloggs ) i got a shuffle issue that if a song appears in different albums it gets played one after another.
Sample to show in Shuffle all-mode:
1. Devildriver - Clouds over California
2. Rammstein - Sonne (from Album Völkerball)
3. Rammstein - Sonne (from Album Paris)
4. Rammstein - Sonne (from Album Mutter)
5. Amorphis - The Skull
This Randomly appears with most identical-named songs that are in different albums.

But After All:
Loving my metal collection through this again and again and again...

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #3,722 of 6,859
just wanted to say that R3 and Ibasso IT01 is the perfect harmony *.*
Newest FW.update killed the loop bug in shuffle mode caused by the Umlauts etc. but now (@Joe Bloggs ) i got a shuffle issue that if a song appears in different albums it gets played one after another.
Sample to show in Shuffle all-mode:
1. Devildriver - Clouds over California
2. Rammstein - Sonne (from Album Völkerball)
3. Rammstein - Sonne (from Album Paris)
4. Rammstein - Sonne (from Album Mutter)
5. Amorphis - The Skull
This Randomly appears with most identical-named songs that are in different albums.

But After All:
Loving my metal collection through this again and again and again...

well hello there, happy to see another metalhead with R3:)

im quite intrigued now with Ibasso IT01, can you describe the how does it sound? or compare with other IEMs?

Jul 18, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #3,723 of 6,859
Well, i am quite an amateur to describe sound, but i got the fiio f9 pro to compare.
The FiiOs are ultimately neutral in their presentation, spacious and a glory to hear for stuff like dire straits or eagles, even michael jackson or queen. When it comes to the part where the stage is really full, like in heavy metal it lacks a bit of punch - this is where the ibassos really shine. I think, the ibassos arent best for neutral hearing or a clean presentation. They are warmer and have a peak at the lower mids and the upper bass. These are giving parts where double-bass is leading the scene a real touch of "in your face"-feeling.
I dont know how to describe this in other words - it's the ultimate punch when you dont need the clarity. But otherwise in eagles "hotel california" it is not as spacious as the fiio. so it depends on your musical taste. i like the fiios for everything except metal - when it comes to metal, go for ibasso.

Ultimate Budget Tipp: Before i got the ibassos i heard with chinese iem called "LKER i8" for heavy metal - 50$ on aliexpress. These are pure fun-sounding metal-iems. They got the punch, but nothing near clarity from the ibassos. Selling them right now.

Heavy Greetings from Germany.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #3,724 of 6,859
Pairing the R3 with FiiO Q5 is perfect.

Sounds is much better through my Q5 with my pair of Pinnacle P1.
R3 is fine for its price point, but I'm just in love with the combo P1 + Q5 :)

0UWrHUU.jpg

Unfortunatly the coaxial cable doesn't work, I emailed Hiby, they quickly replied the first time but it's been 3 weeks I didn't hear from them.
USB C to micro USB cable from FiiO works like a charm.
It's very odd though that you can control the volume on the R3 while it's USB connected to the Q5.

Jul 18, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #3,725 of 6,859
It's very odd though that you can control the volume on the R3 while it's USB connected to the Q5.
Yes, I found this odd as well. I am new to the 'headphone world' and there are other things I found odd about this hobby. For example; when I was shopping for a headphone amp, all the 'amps' listed were 'integrated amps'. ? Ummm, ok. Just 'play the game' as they say.

Jul 18, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #3,726 of 6,859
I am glad to see Joe returning here. Just a suggestion; perhaps its worth reviewing the last two weeks of posts since your hiatus and responding to some of those issues and not just current posts.

For reasons I can't fully explain, the bass response has improved with the new firmware. It could be that a system reset did the job or maybe its the firmware.

I have not tested wifi or gapless yet.

Jul 18, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #3,728 of 6,859
I’d suspect the sd card. Do you have another you could try?

Jul 18, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #3,729 of 6,859
I'm really excited to own this device in October (since it's my birthday month lol). I'm certainly new to the audiophile world and this dap looks perfect for me and perfect size. {i don't want something to bulky in my pockets during my bus drive}.

Right now i'm doing lots of research on getting my first pair of IEM's earphones and the KZ ED16 seems great and also in my budget range, so i was wondering if the ED16 works great with the player? My music library varies from obscure metal bands to progressive rock.

Thanks for the help :)

Jul 18, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #3,730 of 6,859
Pairing the R3 with FiiO Q5 is perfect.

Sounds is much better through my Q5 with my pair of Pinnacle P1.
R3 is fine for its price point, but I'm just in love with the combo P1 + Q5 :)

Unfortunatly the coaxial cable doesn't work, I emailed Hiby, they quickly replied the first time but it's been 3 weeks I didn't hear from them.
USB C to micro USB cable from FiiO works like a charm.

Nice combo you have there!
I am using the P1 with the R3 as well, and paired with Mojo.

Interestingly, the HiBy coax cable works with the Mojo but, as you said, the R3 volume control affects the Mojo output volume.
With the Shanling L2 USB C to Micro it does not!

Jul 18, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #3,731 of 6,859
OK - as I've said before in this thread, I'm a dinosaur, but my *understanding* is that this is now fully funded and Hiby are manufacturing and shipping the R3 from orders Kickstarter passes on to them (yes/no) ?

So to get one, I just 'pledge' 189USD (+10% GST for Australian delivery) and they'll ship me a spanking new R3, right ? I just wanted to confirm that it's nothing like Massdrop where you have to wait 6 months.

Thanks,

estreeter (old and quite possibly demented)

===================================================================================
per www.kickstarter.com ('could' changed to 'cloud' by Yours Truly - the rest is per their page) :

EARLY BIRD: HiBy R3 (USD 189)
One HiBy R3. Features top level ES9028Q2M DAC, Bluetooth, aptX, Wi-Fi, DNLA, AirPlay, Tidal cloud music service. Enjoy Hi-Fi music wherever you go. Comes with an aluminum alloy body.

Color options: Black or Gray. After the campaign we'll contact you to select the color!

Save $40 from the planned MSRP $229. Included one year warranty.

Free worldwide shipping.
Estimated delivery May 2018
Ships to Anywhere in the world

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #3,732 of 6,859
OK - as I've said before in this thread, I'm a dinosaur, but my *understanding* is that this is now fully funded and Hiby are manufacturing and shipping the R3 from orders Kickstarter passes on to them (yes/no) ?

So to get one, I just 'pledge' 189USD (+10% GST for Australian delivery) and they'll ship me a spanking new R3, right ? I just wanted to confirm that it's nothing like Massdrop where you have to wait 6 months.
The Kickstarter campaign was only for a limited time, and they have now fulfilled their campaign (meaning it's over). You will have to wait until retailers start to get stock of the R3 from HiBy to buy one now, or buy one second hand off someone.

Jul 18, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #3,733 of 6,859

Thanks,

estreeter (old and quite possibly demented)

===================================================================================
per www.kickstarter.com ('could' changed to 'cloud' by Yours Truly - the rest is per their page) :

EARLY BIRD: HiBy R3 (USD 189)
One HiBy R3. Features top level ES9028Q2M DAC, Bluetooth, aptX, Wi-Fi, DNLA, AirPlay, Tidal cloud music service. Enjoy Hi-Fi music wherever you go. Comes with an aluminum alloy body.

Color options: Black or Gray. After the campaign we'll contact you to select the color!

Save $40 from the planned MSRP $229. Included one year warranty.

Free worldwide shipping.
Estimated delivery May 2018
Ships to Anywhere in the world

You can order it from the US audio site $229. & ships wide...

https://shop.musicteck.com/collecti...rtable-touchscreen-hi-fi-network-music-player

Jul 18, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #3,734 of 6,859
Jul 19, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #3,735 of 6,859
20180719_065027.jpg
Nice combo you have there!
I am using the P1 with the R3 as well, and paired with Mojo.

Interestingly, the HiBy coax cable works with the Mojo but, as you said, the R3 volume control affects the Mojo output volume.
With the Shanling L2 USB C to Micro it does not!

Is it me or Shanling L2 microb cable sounds crisper/ brighter and more defined at the low end?

Hiby their coax cable sounds overly warm to me with the HD650 and Mojo as they sound towards the warm side themselves.

Nice to have Shanling L2 cable to go against the rest of my setup to level out the sound.

Happy with it now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back