The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jul 7, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #3,451 of 6,859
Really just got it. Charged it, updated the fw and loaded a bunch of hi-res files on it. Using it now with F9 Pro iems with balanced cable. Very happy with the sound. In the next couple of days I’ll try Elex balanced and Aeon open single ended. Will let you know how it goes. Aeons might be a little tough for this DAP.

What are you using with yours?

Ok, sounds good.

Got mine this past Mon mid aft. & while burning it in to get some hrs on it, close to 100hrs by late tonight or so.

Most of the day hours out I’ve been listening to my Denon AH-D7200.
At nights @ home split the time between my Audioquest NightHawks & Focal Elears, all three of those:) sound different in their own right.
Haven’t tried the BT with my Focal Listen Wireless yet, maybe in a few days.

It sounded fairly good out of the box sounding much better now & am really enjoying it.

I don’t use Tidal so the issue doesn’t exist for me atm.

The grey looks great as does the screen, atm don’t see any build issues & im using the included clear plastic case which I find just find, a clip would’ve been nice but not a big deal.
Battery seems to last a fairly long time & charges fairly quickly as well & stays pretty cool too.

I feel the size & weight is pretty much ideal for me & my eyes vs something like the M0 which is almost Lilliputian next to the R3 & I find that very small screen would give me too much agro.

I’ve got the time issue many have mentioned as well as a few other buggy software issues & wish list to add or change a few things but overall so I really quite like it as I had expected to do so when I backed it.

I feel confident that Hiby will iron out the wrinkles with noted issues with good fw updates when they address them & I hope they will take into consideration suggestions or recommendations to improve the feature options etc for us the user base as time goes by.
One thing I think many want or need is a real full complete detailed user manual laying out all the features/functions/options & parameters where they are, how to access them what they do if you activate vs leaving off etc. as many are not accustomed to using small mobile DAP’s.
So if would facilitate the understanding usage the maximum potential & appreciation & enjoyment of getting the very last drop of fun out of it.

At least I would like/need/appreciate it even if most ithers won’t.

Jul 7, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #3,452 of 6,859
Finally received my player on Friday and spent a few of hours with it using Tidal... So far out of the box it's exactly as advertised and pretty solid, given I haven't inserted my SD card with my collection yet, that's next. I am a bit saddened by the fact that the R3's Tidal playback is way better than my R6 and sounds as good. No dreaded delay or dropouts to report so far.

The feel of the device is solid, functions smoothly so far and the size is great considering what it boasts. I still have a lot of burn in to do but out of the box the sound is pretty satisfying.

I realize that by now just about everyone received their R3 and this post is a bit redundant but I still wanted to post my thoughts for anyone considering the R3 in the future.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #3,453 of 6,859
Finally received my player on Friday and spent a few of hours with it using Tidal... So far out of the box it's exactly as advertised and pretty solid, given I haven't inserted my SD card with my collection yet, that's next. I am a bit saddened by the fact that the R3's Tidal playback is way better than my R6 and sounds as good. No dreaded delay or dropouts to report so far.

The feel of the device is solid, functions smoothly so far and the size is great considering what it boasts. I still have a lot of burn in to do but out of the box the sound is pretty satisfying.

I realize that by now just about everyone received their R3 and this post is a bit redundant but I still wanted to post my thoughts for anyone considering the R3 in the future.

Good you got it & are enjoying as well, sounds good.

I don’t have/use Tidal so it’s really good it’s working for you as many others haven’t had the same success.

I’m pretty happy with mine so far with a few sw niggles that the next update should clear up.

But there seem to be a number of people who haven’t received theirs.

What kind of headphones are you using...

Jul 7, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #3,454 of 6,859
Good you got it & are enjoying as well, sounds good.

I don’t have/use Tidal so it’s really good it’s working for you as many others haven’t had the same success.

I’m pretty happy with mine so far with a few sw niggles that the next update should clear up.

But there seem to be a number of people who haven’t received theirs.

What kind of headphones are you using...
I did not update my player yet and not sure if there is a FW update available at the moment, my tidal is working perfectly. I've yet to have a glitch <crossfingers> hope it doesn't start!

So far I've only used my CA Cascades, UE18+ and Eartech Hex ciems. I have many others I haven't had a chance to try.

Jul 7, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #3,455 of 6,859
I did not update my player yet and not sure if there is a FW update available at the moment, my tidal is working perfectly. I've yet to have a glitch <crossfingers> hope it doesn't start!

So far I've only used my CA Cascades, UE18+ and Eartech Hex ciems. I have many others I haven't had a chance to try.

I see, well you’ll have lots of options for listening once you narrow down what best suites your tastes.

There is an update already from a week or more ago, think it’s 1.09, if your connected to wifi go to uodates & it should pop up asap.
Hopefully it’ll work as intended, Mind did/does... GL.

Jul 7, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #3,456 of 6,859
Well, got a reply from hiby:

"We got similar feedback from another user on the shuffle problem. We consider it a bug preliminarily, and we will check it soon"

Too bad they said they would fix it over 3 months ago.

Jul 8, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #3,457 of 6,859
I also have a Sandisk 200gb card from Amazon.ca. I loaded everything on, about 125gb. Works fine in my Opus 1s. Loses 1/3 of album covers and about 10% of files on the Hiby r3. Let's face it. The Hiby is buggy, underpowered and sounds awful. Burn in is an urban myth sorta like spending hundreds for connecting wires and earphone cables. Wire is wire. Electronics either work or they don't. Have fun trying to make this thing try to work for you. Mine is for sale.

I just got my R3. While it was charging I copied about 1000 hi-res tracks directly to the SD card from my computer where all my music is stored. Inserted the card and ran a scan. All songs and artwork appeared. You might try that if you can.
OK - got (another) brand new SanDisk 200GB card, and this one out of the box was formatted with exFAT. Plugged into a Win10 laptop, copied bunch of folders, and voila! Just worked in the R3 :)
I guess the previous (also brand new) SanDisk 200GB was a dud... Very first bad experience with SanDisk (and I have been using their cards and only their cards for YEARS). Hopefully, just an outlier to Sandisk's (usually) great quality...
Anyhow, back in business now :wink:
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions folks. Love Head-Fi !!! :beerchug:

Edit: the card that did not work seems like old stock as its copyright notice on the package is from 2014 whereas the 2nd card I got (that works perfectly) has a 2017 copyright notice. I am NOT saying the bad card is from 2014, but seems like old stock / rev.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #3,459 of 6,859
@Hawaiibadboy would the R3 be enough to push the EX800ST to basshead levels? Was hoping to get a reasonably priced DAP that could achieve this so I wouldn't need to haul around a bulky amp as well

Just tried it

if the 800st are taped and the DSP bass setting is cranked it thumps pretty damn good. Can't replace real power but the DSP will get you there for portable bass

Jul 8, 2018 at 4:23 AM Post #3,460 of 6,859
Just tried it

if the 800st are taped and the DSP bass setting is cranked it thumps pretty damn good. Can't replace real power but the DSP will get you there for portable bass
Cheers for testing! Would you have any other DAP recommendations to power basshead gear in a similar price range (or a bit over)?
I have a set of Sony XB90, sz2000, Yamaha m200 as well. I was using a Galaxy S5 with viper4android (EQ & dynamic system) before it kicked the bucket. I'm guessing the R3 would have some similar effects to boost that low end

Jul 8, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #3,461 of 6,859
Cheers for testing! Would you have any other DAP recommendations to power basshead gear in a similar price range (or a bit over)?
I have a set of Sony XB90, sz2000, Yamaha m200 as well. I was using a Galaxy S5 with viper4android (EQ & dynamic system) before it kicked the bucket. I'm guessing the R3 would have some similar effects to boost that low end

FiiO Q1 MKII has a bass boost switch and is slip and light.

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #3,462 of 6,859
FiiO Q1 MKII has a bass boost switch and is slip and light.
That amp should be able to extend battery life as well which is perfect.
Last question, have you had any experience with the Sony NW-A45? Being a bit of a Sony fanboi, I'm struggling to choose between the two.
Software on Hiby might be a bit better as it has DSP effects , but I'm guessing Sony might have a bit more power

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #3,463 of 6,859
That amp should be able to extend battery life as well which is perfect.
Last question, have you had any experience with the Sony NW-A45? Being a bit of a Sony fanboi, I'm struggling to choose between the two.
Software on Hiby might be a bit better as it has DSP effects , but I'm guessing Sony might have a bit more power

I think the Q1 mkII has more power than Sony and the bass boost (hardware) is not on the Sony. If you had a balanced cable the R3 would be fine but balanced for EX means custom cables so..

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #3,464 of 6,859
looking for impressions between r3 and mojo. Wondering whether it'll be worth to stack.

I bought the R3 as a transport for the Mojo, and since I received it 8 days ago I listened and compared the R3 sound with the Mojo sound a bit. Headhones for that comparison were my AudioQuest NightOwls.

My impressions were that the R3 had a punchy, smooth and somewhat dark signature, quite enjoyable. But it does not grab my attention, doesn‘t pull me into the music.

Through the Mojo, everything gets cleaner by a good margin, bass „looses“ a little bit of the punchiness, but I suppose is closer to the intended or recorded sound. The soundstage opens up a lot, and the music and emotions flow freely.

So for me it‘s a very big difference and I don‘t think I will be using the R3 standalone a lot. But I am sure for some others the difference will not be worth it, and it also depends on the headphones or IEMS how much of the difference comes through.

Now I have some MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 coming and am curious as to jow they will sound from the R3 and Mojo...

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #3,465 of 6,859
Has anybody tried a usbc to usb between the R3 and Mojo?

If so how does that compare to the Usb-c to Coax connection?

I do not have the right cable to test at the moment.

I am thinking of the Shanling L2 cable for this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back