The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jun 14, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #2,281 of 6,859
I just went back an checked the FedEx site and they now say it's on island in the FedEx sort facility in Honolulu
The stated FedEx delivery date is by 8pm Friday the 15th so it looks promising but it could change as well
My original notice from HiBy was on June 5th with a delivery by 8pm on Friday the 8th but Fedex indicated that it hadn't left its origination destination yet.

I believe the notification from Hiby comes out to you when they notify the shipper to pick up the goods.
But there's lost of phases the order has to go through like the shipper picking it up and then putting it on a plane which then has to go to where ever customs will be examing and recording the goods and then shipped to your local destination so seeing that my package made it through customs and is on island is good news. I also thought FedEx runs everything through their Memphis hub for final distribution.

anyway I thought I just share some positive news
I won't say what backer number I am but I didn't jump onboard until I saw HBB video as I had already signed up for the HiDiz AP60 Pro MassDrop by then

good luck everyone

Jun 14, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #2,284 of 6,859
IMG_0012.JPG

I don't see HibyLink. There's a DLNA switch, but after turning it on, I couldn't find it through 8 Player or Glider. The Tidal button is where the HibyLInk Server button is on the R6.
AirPlay works though.
Doesn't seem to have MTP connectivity, but mounting as a USB drive through USB-C works just fine.
Wirelss file transfer is also kinda neat. Maybe a lot of devices use this same mechanism, but I never bothered trying before. Nice implementation with Hiby. Basically becomes a file server with a web interface. Once turning it on, the ip address displays on the R3, and then hit that ip address through a web browser, and upload, download, or delete files. Sorta like accessing dropbox through a browser. Not very high tech, but nifty.

The same DAC cable that works for the Cayin N5ii seems to work just fine with the R3.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #2,286 of 6,859
how does the R3 sound?
more interested in that than all the other bells and whistles (other than tidal streaming)

Jun 14, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #2,288 of 6,859
6507409E-DB1F-40B8-9987-21CEC6768CA3.jpeg
13C4A131-7179-4AB5-8D80-DAAEA1E9510E.jpeg
D48F8380-77B5-49FC-9FBE-94CE72B17D24.jpeg
13C4A131-7179-4AB5-8D80-DAAEA1E9510E.jpeg
E5E448ED-FE1D-4D57-82DC-12E7EE8A61C9.jpeg
Got mine today, very nice little unit and very nice UI. Sounds really good (actually better than I expected) Sounds very clear and detailed and I like the sound better than the ZX300 SE out and the ak70. More lively and layered really nice with a nice wide stage. Just a bit south of neutral to give it a more musical sound- just like I like it. Of course my ears are not your ears ymmv. But I likes it :)

ZX300 balanced out sounds better but not by much, I think it also sounds better than cayin n5ii which I personally found a bit dull. This is without any Eq or magic 8 ball effects just right out of the box. I think you guys are really going to love this little thing. Hopefully you all get them ASAP.

Some sucky pics ^ don’t know why the pics ended up on top but oh well :) also I realize I have the same picture twice. Twins Basil, twins!

Oh and I’m not much of a streamer so I haven’t tried Tidal yet. And the only one little tiny annoyance is that the album art takes a second to pop in when your scrolling through artists, albums etc. But it scrolls fast and smooth. It’s pretty tiny and the build quality is very nice, oh and the screen is beautiful.

Anyways didn’t mean to ramble on, but I do have one question for joe or anyone that can answer it. I don’t do Facebook so is new firmware going to be announced here?? It would be cool if you could update it online like ak70.

Ok peace out. Holler to HBB and Superuser!

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #2,289 of 6,859
@abitdeef great going mate! I ordered before you if i remember correctly and am closer than you to HIby however, they have much love for you it seems. :D
Enjoy that little thing.

Jun 14, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #2,291 of 6,859
Got mine today, very nice little unit and very nice UI. Sounds really good (actually better than I expected) Sounds very clear and detailed and I like the sound better than the ZX300 SE out and the ak70. More lively and layered really nice with a nice wide stage. Just a bit south of neutral to give it a more musical sound- just like I like it. Of course my ears are not your ears ymmv. But I likes it :)

ZX300 balanced out sounds better but not by much, I think it also sounds better than cayin n5ii which I personally found a bit dull. This is without any Eq or magic 8 ball effects just right out of the box. I think you guys are really going to love this little thing. Hopefully you all get them ASAP.

Some sucky pics ^ don’t know why the pics ended up on top but oh well :) also I realize I have the same picture twice. Twins Basil, twins!

Oh and I’m not much of a streamer so I haven’t tried Tidal yet. And the only one little tiny annoyance is that the album art takes a second to pop in when your scrolling through artists, albums etc. But it scrolls fast and smooth. It’s pretty tiny and the build quality is very nice, oh and the screen is beautiful.

Anyways didn’t mean to ramble on, but I do have one question for joe or anyone that can answer it. I don’t do Facebook so is new firmware going to be announced here?? It would be cool if you could update it online like ak70.

Ok peace out. Holler to HBB and Superuser!

Did you listen to 40 Mile Town on Ah Via Musicom?
How did the water sound pretty life like?

Jun 14, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #2,292 of 6,859
@tekkster how does the dac sound in comparison to the Mojo?

My ears are weaker than most audiophiles, but to me, off the 3.5mm, the sound is really good compared to typical mp3 players but significantly less detailed and sound separated compared to the mojo. With mojo, instruments are easier to identify individually, with the r3 3.5mm jack, a little less so.

The 2.5mm balanced is definitely better, but i still struggle a bit separating well.

I like the sound, but the r6 is easier to tell things apart.

R3 to mojo is great. Good sound separation, yet nothing really glaring.

I usually listen to diff dacs and headphones, but with the r3, i used the kse1200, cascade, tr80/250, meze 99c, ety er4p/s, nightowl. My fav with the r3 is the kse1200, and i’d say the cascade is also good. With the meze 99c and nightowl, i think sound is a tad muddy.

I listen to mostly acoustical music, jazz, classical, some female vocal, and big orchestras, some electric, but not a ton. Dave brubeck, keiko matsui, sara bareilles, vivaldi, wa mozart, brahms, js bach, jenkins, robben ford, chopin, debussy, coltrane, faure, parker, lindsey stirling, tommy flanagan, bond, yo-yo ma, newmann, zimmer, mancina, uehara, yamanaka, matsunaga, phineas, some latin stuff and old rock and folk too.

——

To me, the r3-mojo combo beats the mojo-poly combo. Poly in the sd card sounds better to me, but r3-mojo sounds great and love having a screen and physical control buttons.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back