The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
May 23, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #1,696 of 6,859
How many Qobuz users compared to Spotify? I know it’s a hi-res issue, but just for the no. of Spotify subscribers would make it the mass market choice. Unfortunately it’s usually the quantity over quality that prevails.
But a DAP such as Hiby R3 is not as mass market item at all.
Mass market is bluetooth speakers.

May 23, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #1,697 of 6,859
@ et al:

It seems this is kinda like Abraham Lincoln’s famous saying in that...

...‘You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time’!

Point is this device & software has been designed & engineered to certain specs to a specific price point.
It seems far too many people are expecting way too much out of it.

As @Joe Bloggs has said/mentioned numerous times re: licensing of certain companies proprietary property etc is out of their hands so there’s no point beratingbhim or Hiby while they attempt to get deals made to add these options for us.
If they can’t or don’t do it, everybody’s pissed so some of it has been mentioned as being added after shipping via fw etc which is fine.
Understandable if you only bought for Tidal but it seems the news of some of their bone headed missteps has put the writing on the wall for them for quite a while now.

It seems very obvious that if Hiby can get these or other streaming option on the R3 after the fact they will do so as they are trying to provide the best product available for what it is meant to do for the $.

People need to be more realistic & patient.

I’m pretty sure @ Joe Bloggs & others @ Hiby have vastly more immediate & important things to do than monitor this thread here & on KS page answering the same ? over & over again, or answering? that have previously been answered.

This is what it is.

You want a player that has what you want go to retail B&M store & buy @ $$$&$$$ otherwise if you’re disappointed When it arrives then sell it.

I’m not passing any judgement on hearsay about the device & the few reviews I’ve read that are out there are pretty great.

So a massive dose of chill pills would ramp down the speculation, rhetoric & fear mongering that’s spreading like wildfire.

It’s going to be asap to those that have filled out their survey in order of backing from 1 to me so let’s enjoy the spring sunny weather with a nice coffee..,
Obviously ymmv...

Cheers...

May 23, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #1,698 of 6,859
If tidal goes down the drain I'd prefer qobuz over Spotify. Why have a HiRes-DAP and then use it for 320 kbps?
How many Qobuz users compared to Spotify? I know it’s a hi-res issue, but just for the no. of Spotify subscribers would make it the mass market choice. Unfortunately it’s usually the quantity over quality that prevails.

Thoose are the problems with Hi Res and Spotify (wich probably will have a Hi Res solution soon).
Also there is Deezer option. Cheaper than Qobuz in Europe... 7 euros monthly /10,49 familly pack (6 users).

For me... until further notices... I'll be using airplay with the AppleMusic & transfering files to my hiby without using Tidal at all...

upload_2018-5-23_22-12-50.png

It's the Final CountDown!!!!!
F*ck yes!!!

Let's wait and listen to some Somali Yacht Club

May 23, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #1,699 of 6,859
Thoose are the problems with Hi Res and Spotify (wich probably will have a Hi Res solution soon).
Also there is Deezer option. Cheaper than Qobuz in Europe... 7 euros monthly /10,49 familly pack (6 users).

@ Cato ID:

Right On!

SYC, great find Thx...

For me... until further notices... I'll be using airplay with the AppleMusic & transfering files to my hiby without using Tidal at all...

F*ck yes!!!

May 23, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #1,700 of 6,859

F*ck yes!!!

Cato ID:

Right On!

SYC, good one, thx...

May 24, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #1,701 of 6,859
But a DAP such as Hiby R3 is not as mass market item at all.
Mass market is bluetooth speakers.
Mass market or niche market, it’s not really important, it’s about mass market appeal. Unfortunately it’s about money.

May 24, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #1,702 of 6,859
Looks like Hiby will be posting another update with more pictures and information on KS tomorrow according to their comment! Hope the leather cases look good. I'm not in a rush for LDAC as I'm still wired, but hope that there will be updates soon :)

May 24, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #1,703 of 6,859
The M0 uses the same ES9218p DAC that's in the V30. (Quad DAC pipeline.) My expectation is that the M0 should sound better.

i dont think ES9218p is even proper DAC, its more of chipset(SoC), i dont think M0 sound actually better than R3, but i guess we should wait for proper comparison..only thing im worried about both hiby r3 and M0 is that both don't have separate amp stage..but i guess that worked fine with LG phones.

May 24, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #1,704 of 6,859
i dont think ES9218p is even proper DAC, its more of chipset(SoC), i dont think M0 sound actually better than R3, but i guess we should wait for proper comparison..only thing im worried about both hiby r3 and M0 is that both don't have separate amp stage..but i guess that worked fine with LG phones.
Not a proper DAC?!? ES9218p is a superior SoC to that of the ES9028Q2M in the R3. Perhaps HiBy have done something incredible via implementation, but on paper, the M0 DAC has better specs.

May 24, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #1,705 of 6,859
The DAC chipset is the core component around which everything else is built, of course, but a great DAC chip with relatively weak development and care in the surrounding technologies will be pretty "meh", and an old chip with a great deal of care and engineering in the surrounding components to bring out the best of what the chip can do can sound awesome.

So, while I can certainly agree that talking about the chipset is very important (and fun), I think an equal amount of emphasis, and perhaps a greater amount of enthusiasm, should be around the efforts by the developer to select the best surrounding components, and the engineering efforts to optimize the sound. The same chip sounds completely different in implementation from one manufacturer to another as they focus not only on different sound profiles, but care about different characteristics of sound (like how black the background, what to emphasize on, what power to use, how to implement clean power, what pathways to setup, what architecture, what amps, what connectors, what features to include, how the feature interface will change the sound, how to handle shielding and cooling, etc. etc.)

In that vein, I believe iFi and RME (and according to some reports I've read, the Topping DX7) have proven ("proven" is just my opinion, of course, but one echoed often in the industry), that the components and engineering efforts around the core chipset is what results in great products, despite not using the latest and greatest chipsets.

So I love reading about the chipsets (2 channel vs. 8 channel, processing ability, decoding limits, etc.), but enjoy reading about the surrounding components and engineering efforts just as much, if not more so.

Last edited:
May 24, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #1,706 of 6,859
The DAC chipset is the core component around which everything else is built, of course, but a great DAC chip with relatively weak development and care in the surrounding technologies will be pretty "meh", and an old chip with a great deal of care and engineering in the surrounding components to bring out the best of what the chip can do can sound awesome.

So, while I can certainly agree that talking about the chipset is very important (and fun), I think an equal amount of emphasis, and perhaps a greater amount of enthusiasm, should be around the efforts by the developer to select the best surrounding components, and the engineering efforts to optimize the sound. The same chip sounds completely different in implementation from one manufacturer to another as they focus not only on different sound profiles, but care about different characteristics of sound (like how black the background, what to emphasize on, what power to use, how to implement clean power, what pathways to setup, what architecture, what amps, what connectors, what features to include, how the feature interface will change the sound, how to handle shielding and cooling, etc. etc.)

In that vein, I believe iFi and RME (and according to some reports I've read, the Topping DX7) have proven ("proven" is just my opinion, of course, but one echoed often in the industry), that the components and engineering efforts around the core chipset is what results in great products, despite not using the latest and greatest chipsets.

So I love reading about the chipsets (2 channel vs. 8 channel, processing ability, decoding limits, etc.), but enjoy reading about the surrounding components and engineering efforts just as much, if not more so.

Agreed on the importance of implementation - for those looking for a "dumb" equivalent of R3's price bracket the Onkyo DP-S1 is a great example, 'old' ESS9018 but works awesome - I enjoyed reviewing it and probably will get one as backup if R3 doesn't cut it for critical listening.

I'm not so sure it's as simple as ESS chipset SOCs are better/worse than ESS standalone DACs as mentioned above, but we'll find out soon how the R3 sounds when we receive it :) I was comparing measurements for the LG V series phones and other ESS DAPs and don't recall a clear advantage to either one. Implementation, implementation :wink:

May 24, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #1,707 of 6,859
Can somebody tell me if I am able to get the R6 or even better the R3?

I’ve never used kick starter anything or even looked before and I am looking on the R3 page and it on the bottom is says to support the drop but it won’t let me click anything and it doesn’t say sold out however it does say it started March 26 for 30 days I think so maybe that’s why I cannot join but it doesn’t say sold out like it does on the IGG R6

May 24, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #1,708 of 6,859
Can somebody tell me if I am able to get the R6 or even better the R3?

I’ve never used kick starter anything or even looked before and I am looking on the R3 page and it on the bottom is says to support the drop but it won’t let me click anything and it doesn’t say sold out however it does say it started March 26 for 30 days I think so maybe that’s why I cannot join but it doesn’t say sold out like it does on the IGG R6

It is because their fund raising Kickstarter campaign is over. Now they are producing the units to first deliver them to the backers from Kickstarter and then they will release the item to mass retail. Hope it explains.

May 24, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #1,709 of 6,859
:L3000: Pretty Self Explanatory:face_palm:& bassct You did GR8 job of self explainin’:joy::thumbsup:jk...

You might find backers on here soon after they’ve received them that will be [already are] crying over spilt milk & want to sell so keep your eyes peeled here & you might pick one up on the cheap!

Cheers...

May 24, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #1,710 of 6,859
I have 2 R3s coming. One w case and one without. So ill be selling one. Both black. Keeping the 1 with the case. Have Shanling m0 coming as well. Size is awesome, and 15hr playtime as well. But there is some negative talk about bugs. Might be selling that as well and just keeping the R3.

My music listening is done at home and in the car while driving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back