The NEW Headphone Lounge Thread
Jan 6, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #333 of 719
Now if only I would stop annoying Ted about cable questions and order my damn cable. Well, I guess the plus side is that I'll be 100% happy with the look of my cable. Just gotta' wait for his response on ordering some customs.

As for Ted himself, the man is an absolute pleasure to talk with. In all seriousness, he tells it how it is and doesn't sugarcoat it. I respect that greatly, especially in a market that uses fancy specifications that is mostly inaudible to the ear or just downright doesn't add anything to the cable. If there was anything I learned from talking with him it was this:

1. Cable "pretty words" are mostly meaningless
2. Stop being so indecisive
3. His truthfulness in business practices is amazing and commendable, at the very least, and his cables are nothing short but a show stopper.

I'm just ready to spend my whole paycheck from my weekend job (4 days of working) and ready to make my UM Pro 50 sound even better.

Jan 21, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #334 of 719
just want to give an update. recovery and physical therapy is going good but its been taking alot longer to get things done as my sitting/working time is being limited. really sorry for delays but i'm doing as much as i can everyday. i will get more caught up soon.

Jan 21, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #335 of 719
just want to give an update. recovery and physical therapy is going good but its been taking alot longer to get things done as my sitting/working time is being limited. really sorry for delays but i'm doing as much as i can everyday. i will get more caught up soon.

Take care Ted. All the best!

Jan 21, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #336 of 719

Glad your recovery is going good man. Hope you get back up to full speed and in tip top shape.

Feb 4, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #337 of 719
I got my Silver Litz cable for SE846 last week, I have to say I love it. I will briefly compare the Litz to the 3 other cables I have: stock, Plussound Exo, Effect Audio Apollo. 

Here are some photos (please click original to see large photo):

Stock

Plussound Exo

Effect Audio Apollo

Ted's Silver Litz

Super closeup of the litz braid (click to see large size)

Comparisons:

1. Stock Cable
Build Quality: Built like a tank, absolutely no issues at all. Don't really like the memory wire, but that's mainly because I wear glasses. 
Ergonomics: The cable will untangle itself, a little bit annoying, but acceptable. Microphonics is average. 
Sound: Slightly grainy, congested sound. Smallest soundstage size, lacks layering and depth. More bass quantity than Apollo and Litz. 

2. Plussound Exo
Build Quality: The one I have may be an earlier version, not sure if they improved on the build quality since. The heat shrink and ear guides are quite sloppy and rough, especially at the MMCX and plug terminals. The cable itself not braided very tightly and uniformly, however the copper color does look very nice. 
Ergonomics: Worst of the bunch, tons of microphonics making on the go quite irritating. The cable is very hard, will always try to straighten itself, and is easy to kink if enough force is applied. Nylon covering is highly recommended.
Sound: Slightly thinner sounding than stock and Litz, vocal is a tad recessed. Soundstage is wider than stock but the depth stays the same. I would say this is the brightest sounding cable of the bunch. 

3. Effect Audio Apollo
Build Quality: It doesn't look like it's built by hand, as it is very consistent looking and the build is generally good. The heat shrink by the MMCX connector came loose after light use, and the memory wire inside turned black also. The first cable I got arrived with the left ear completely not working, but Effect Audio quickly replaced it with another one. 
Ergonomics: Thinnest cable of the bunch, but the ergonomics is very good. Least microphonics of the 4, and the cable is very soft, easy to roll up. I got the white cable, so it is not the best looking cable in the world.
Sound: Slightly reduced bass compared to stock. Overall sound is not very exciting, but slightly less veiled and good for long listening. The sound is actually quite close to the stock cable. 

4. Ted's Silver Litz
Build Quality: Fantastic build quality considering it's hand built. The braid is very consistent and the terminations look great. I had to remove the washers from the MMCX, otherwise it would easily pop off the earphones. The cable looks very sexy in person, has a beautiful silver sheen. 
Ergonomics: Good ergonomics, microphonics is slightly less than stock. Considering it is the thickest cable, it is very soft which can easily be rolled up and magically it doesn't pop back. Easiest of the 4 to store. 
Sound: Biggest improvement to sound of the bunch, I would say about 10-15% depending on the recording. Songs with good recording will have a bigger difference. The soundstage is the widest, and layering and texture is great, giving a bit more out of head experience. The bass is tighter and has more impact. Overall the sound is less veiled and more clean, the silver cable attribute really shows here. The detail retrieval is also better with the Litz. 

Summary
Build Quality: Stock = Litz > Apollo > Exo
Ergonomics: Apollo > Litz > Stock > Exo
Sound: Litz > Exo > Apollo > stock

I personally think changing cables do make a difference in sound, but generally it's very small, like 5-10% improvement compared to the stock cable. Like with the Apollo I had to AB with stock several times to find noticeable differences.

Thanks for reading, and hopefully it's somewhat helpful to those who are trying to decide which cable to get for their beloved SE846. =)

Feb 4, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #339 of 719
I got my Silver Litz cable for SE846 last week, I have to say I love it. I will briefly compare the Litz to the 3 other cables I have: stock, Plussound Exo, Effect Audio Apollo. 

I personally think changing cables do make a difference in sound, but generally it's very small, like 5-10% improvement compared to the stock cable. Like with the Apollo I had to AB with stock several times to find noticeable differences.

Thanks for reading, and hopefully it's somewhat helpful to those who are trying to decide which cable to get for their beloved SE846. =)

I'm glad Ted's cable is that good. I ordered the silver Litz for my Westone UM Pro 50, so I doubt I will be let down on this cable. I can't wait!

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #340 of 719
  I got my Silver Litz cable for SE846 last week, I have to say I love it.

I personally think changing cables do make a difference in sound, but generally it's very small, like 5-10% improvement compared to the stock cable...

Good read. I also own SE846 and I like the stock cable a lot. I recently upgraded to Ted's Silver Litz Cable and I thought I didn't hear much difference and/or improvement in sound quality at first. However, as soon as I sent my Litz cable back to Ted for adjustment and I had to use the stock cable, I realized that there is definitely a difference in terms of SQ produced by the two cables. 

BTW, Ted is a very nice person, IMO. He's easy to work with. Ted'll never make you spend extra for something that he doesn't believe you need.

Feb 5, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #341 of 719
Have a Silver Litz IC in the mail. Hope it turns up soon. Ted is kind of a straight forward person based on my communication with him. However, he was nice and easy to work with. Might add a silver litz for my SE846 sometime soon.

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #342 of 719
Have a Silver Litz IC in the mail. Hope it turns up soon. Ted is kind of a straight forward person based on my communication with him. However, he was nice and easy to work with. Might add a silver litz for my SE846 sometime soon.

Question.. how long did it take ted to ship out your order? 

i`m thinking about getting some stuff..

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #343 of 719

Fast. Notified me that cable is ready on a Saturday night and sent out on Monday. Note there there's no postal service on Sunday. His build time is fast,prompt with correspondence and didn't delay shipping out my order.

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #344 of 719

As the guy above me said. He is timely. Really I wouldn't mind waiting another month because the quality and sound from the cables is amazing. I have yet to burn them in and the Westone UM Pro 50 sounds even more amazing. The veil is completely improved and now everything is so clean. Top that off with everything sounds so nice. I can't go back to that stock cable.
Also he is really good at his fabrications as I have a couple customs parts on my wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back