The NEW Headphone Lounge Thread
Apr 5, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #121 of 719
Thanks, AmberOzL.
More for you to enjoy:
https://sites.google.com/site/audiomeisterssystem/audio-components/headphones

Apr 8, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #122 of 719
Just received my 2.5mm to rsa balanced adaptor to test AK240 with fitears. Thanks ted.

Wanted to mention that Ted advised not to plug or unplug balanced connector to AK240 when powered on......to do with ground setup and easily shorting. Thanks for heads up Ted.

Apr 19, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #123 of 719

Headphone Lounge's new reference cables.

I just ordered from Ted Allen a set of Headphone Lounge's new OCC silver litz cables. I have always been intrigued by "litz" cables and for those of us demanding the last bit of performance from our setup, I cannot wait to give them a listen. I will post a detailed review when I get them next week.

Apr 23, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #128 of 719
Review of Headphone Lounge's new Reference OCC Silver Litz Cable

When my friend Ted Allen told me he was adding an OCC silver litz cable to his line up, I knew that I had to hear it for myself.

For those who may not know "litz" is a process where each individual wire in a cable in enameled to insulate each wire from each other. Litz wire eliminates the "skin effect" and "proximity effect" both of which reduce the loss of signal strength.

For those who are interested in the science behind litz wire, a simple explanation can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litz_wire

Now for the question of how do they sound. I have been struggling for a couple of days to describe the sonic aspects of the Reference OCC Silver Litz Cable, hereafter I will just call them Reference Cables. The questions I asked myself throughout listening to the Reference Cable is the soundstage wider, is the clarity improved and is the overall tonality across the frequency spectrum greater. The easy answer is yes but the Reference Cable is more than the sum of its parts. The only way to do justice to the sound is to analogize them to when I updated my musical library from 320kbps to FLAC and ALAC. The Reference Cables immerse you in the music without coloration and bring a dynamic to music I never knew I was missing very similar to when I upgraded my music library to FLAC files.

I own the OCC silver plated copper and OCC pure silver cables from Headphone Lounge and the Reference Cables are simply the best I have ever heard.

Equipment used:

Shure SE846
Shure SE535

iPod Touch 5th Generation as a source
RSA Protector balanced amplifier
RSA F-35 The Lightning balanced amplifier

Music used: FLAC and ALAC files.

Disclosure: The Reference Cables I reviewed were purchased from Headphone Lounge with a 10% discount available to all prior customers.

Apr 23, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #129 of 719
Review of Headphone Lounge's new Reference OCC Silver Litz Cable

When my friend Ted Allen told me he was adding an OCC silver litz cable to his line up, I knew that I had to hear it for myself.

For those who may not know "litz" is a process where each individual wire in a cable in enameled to insulate each wire from each other. Litz wire eliminates the "skin effect" and "proximity effect" both of which reduce the loss of signal strength.

For those who are interested in the science behind litz wire, a simple explanation can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litz_wire

Now for the question of how do they sound. I have been struggling for a couple of days to describe the sonic aspects of the Reference OCC Silver Litz Cable, hereafter I will just call them Reference Cables. The questions I asked myself throughout listening to the Reference Cable is the soundstage wider, is the clarity improved and is the overall tonality across the frequency spectrum greater. The easy answer is yes but the Reference Cable is more than the sum of its parts. The only way to do justice to the sound is to analogize them to when I updated my musical library from 320kbps to FLAC and ALAC. The Reference Cables immerse you in the music without coloration and bring a dynamic to music I never knew I was missing very similar to when I upgraded my music library to FLAC files.

I own the OCC silver plated copper and OCC pure silver cables from Headphone Lounge and the Reference Cables are simply the best I have ever heard.

Equipment used:

Shure SE846
Shure SE535

iPod Touch 5th Generation as a source
RSA Protector balanced amplifier
RSA F-35 The Lightning balanced amplifier

Music used: FLAC and ALAC files.

Disclosure: The Reference Cables I reviewed were purchased from Headphone Lounge with a 10% discount available to all prior customers.

owh wow...good review!!!

any pics of this fine custom cable?

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #130 of 719
The picture really does not do the cable's justice. The build quality is impeccable and there is no microphonics with the smooth insulation. Also, the custom molded carbon fiber RSA/Kobiconn connector is beautiful.

Apr 26, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #134 of 719
My new silver cable on HD-650 improved its SQ. Basic relaxed character is unchanged, which is good. Made upper-mids more present, with added air and unveiling of micro-details. Very good improvement for listening to classical music and vocal ensembles. Pics below (blue cable). Thanks Ted. Fast service and USPS shipping to Canada. Impeccable workmanship.

Apr 28, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #135 of 719
The picture is of my new 3.5mm interconnects made by Ted Allen at Headphone Lounge with the new OCC silver litz Reference Cable. As I have already posted a review of the Reference Cable I will limit my comments to the build quality and workmanship.

Because interconnects by there usage are bent in a "U" shape, Ted takes the time to not only use shrink wrap on the entire cable but adds double shrink wrap from the plug out about 1/4 of an inch to the cable to provide extra protection. Ted does this without prompting by me solely because he has a passion for quality and the smallest detail matters to him.

Please note, it is difficult not to sound obsequious but it is hard not to admire old fashioned craftsmanship which Ted brings to his work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back