The NEW Headphone Lounge Thread
Jun 14, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #182 of 719
Moedawg I cannot wait for your review. The Reference Cable (silver litz) pairs great with the SE846.

Congrats on your 1,000th post!  I'm happy I am the recipient of it...heh.

What do you think, in your opinion, is the percent increase in "audio satisfaction/musicality" of the Silver Litz cable compared to the stock cable?

Thanks in advance. 
beerchug.gif
 (oh, and that's root beer for me).

Jun 14, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #183 of 719
Congrats on your 1000th post!  I'm happy I am the recipient of it...heh.

What do you think, in your opinion, is the percent increase in "audio satisfaction/musicality" of the Silver Litz cable compared to the stock cable?

Thanks in advance. :beerchug:  (oh, and that's root beer for me).

Thanks Moe I honestly had no idea that was my 1,000 post here on HeadFi. It is fitting as I really am a fan of Ted's cables.

It is difficult to quantify the improvement from the stock 846 to the Reference cable. I can tell you the pace rhythm and timing (PRaT) as well as the overall dynamics noticeably improve. The bass hits harder and the treble has more shimmer. The SE846 like a lot of high end IEMs and headphones scales up beautifully, whether it is an aftermarket cable or an amplifier.

Jun 14, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #184 of 719
Thanks Moe I honestly had no idea that was my 1,000 post here on HeadFi. It is fitting as I really am a fan of Ted's cables.

It is difficult to quantify the improvement from the stock 846 to the Reference cable. I can tell you the pace rhythm and timing (PRaT) as well as the overall dynamics noticeably improve. The bass hits harder and the treble has more shimmer. The SE846 like a lot of high end IEMs and headphones scales up beautifully, whether it is an aftermarket cable or an amplifier.

Thank you for your input, spook76, I appreciate it!  Maybe I will get one of these cables once I receive the remake of my Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves as icing on the cake (since I won't be purchasing a dedicated DAP or amp (I will be using my iPhone 5 with kick-butt music player app).  We will see, because I was given an opinion that the SE Litz Silver cable will yield less improvement (around 5-10 percent increase compared to stock Shure SE846 cable), but the balanced cable with a dedicated amp will yield around a 30% improvement.  Decisions, decisions.

Jun 14, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #185 of 719
It is difficult to quantify the improvement from the stock 846 to the Reference cable. I can tell you the pace rhythm and timing (PRaT) as well as the overall dynamics noticeably improve. The bass hits harder and the treble has more shimmer.".

I'm sure this is an honest review and I'm definitely a believer BUT....reading this brought out a long buried commercial from my childhood!  When I was a kid (a looong time ago!) there used to be a sneaker company called PF Fliers.  Their slogan was "....they'll make you run faster and jump higher!!!".:wink:

Jun 14, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #186 of 719
Thank you for your input, spook76, I appreciate it!  Maybe I will get one of these cables once I receive the remake of my Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves as icing on the cake (since I won't be purchasing a dedicated DAP or amp (I will be using my iPhone 5 with kick-butt music player app).  We will see, because I was given an opinion that the SE Litz Silver cable will yield less improvement (around 5-10 percent increase compared to stock Shure SE846 cable), but the balanced cable with a dedicated amp will yield around a 30% improvement.  Decisions, decisions.

I am actually a good friend of MCoupe and while even he would agree it is difficult to quantify the improve he has absolutely no buyer's remorse getting the new Reference cable.

FYI, if you are contemplating a balanced amp, which I agree improves the sound as well, you will need an aftermarket cable with a balanced termination.

Jun 14, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #187 of 719
I am actually a good friend of MCoupe and while even he would agree it is difficult to quantify the improve he has absolutely no buyer's remorse getting the new Reference cable.

FYI, if you are contemplating a balanced amp, which I agree improves the sound as well, you will need an aftermarket cable with a balanced termination.

Okay, well I will definitely keep that in mind when I get to the decision to purchase a HL Silver Litz SE Cable.  I guess I just want the connection to not have any intermittent signal on and off issues in the MMCX connector area, and improve overall sound by about 25%.  A higher percentage would be nice, but I'm aware the cable is only a part of the whole equation that is portable audio.

Thanks for info about the balanced amp and it needing an aftermarket cable with a balanced termination.  I'm not in the market for a balanced amp or dedicated DAP, mainly because I don't want to carry around anything else with me than my iPhone 5 and Shure SE846 with Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves in Crystal Blue attached to them.  I want to keep it truly portable. 
ksc75smile.gif

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #188 of 719
My experience parallels that of spook76.  I originally purchase a silver dragon cable to replace the stock SE846 cable and heard virtually no difference.  Unfortunately, I had issues with the cable staying connected to earpiece so I went back to the original stock cable. However, I did swap out my Noble 6 stock cable with a Litz from Ted to run balanced from my AK240. Boy, what a difference.  I don't know how much of the improvement is due to running balanced or to the cable. but there was more clarity, base extension and SQ from the Nobles. So much so that I now only use them on my AK240 while previously I would only use my AK240.  

Now I have to figure out what to due with the silver dragon cable with Shure connectors
confused_face(1).gif

Jun 16, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #189 of 719

My experience parallels that of spook76.  I originally purchase a silver dragon cable to replace the stock SE846 cable and heard virtually no difference.  Unfortunately, I had issues with the cable staying connected to earpiece so I went back to the original stock cable. However, I did swap out my Noble 6 stock cable with a Litz from Ted to run balanced from my AK240. Boy, what a difference.  I don't know how much of the improvement is due to running balanced or to the cable. but there was more clarity, base extension and SQ from the Nobles. So much so that I now only use them on my AK240 while previously I would only use my AK240.  

Now I have to figure out what to due with the silver dragon cable with Shure connectors
confused_face(1).gif

Thanks for your input, Buddhahacker!  I am glad that a few of the SE846 owners are having similar issues and have similar experiences with the Litz cable (I understand you are talking about the Silver Dragon Cable that is not made by HL).  I'm not so hyped to use the Silver Litz now, because for my application, it may not be warranted.  However, if I decide to change my configuration, I heard the Silver Litz is great!  One of my lesser issues was trying to find a cable that was more comfortable.  My comfort has increased ten-fold by cutting and taking out the memory wire from the stock cable.  No connection issues as well, so I'm currently happy with what I have.  If another cable comes out that in the SE/reference configuration blows the stock cable out of the water, I am "all ears"!

Jun 16, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #190 of 719
Thanks for your input, Buddhahacker!  I am glad that a few of the SE846 owners are having similar issues and have similar experiences with the Silver cable.  Very good to know.  I'm not so hyped to use the Silver Litz now, which is all good to me.  My comfort has increased ten-fold by cutting and taking out the memory wire from the stock cable.  No connection issues as well, so I'm currently happy with what I have.  If another cable comes out that in the SE configuration blows the stock cable out of the water, I am "all ears"!

Moe,

You misunderstand his post. The Silver Dragon is NOT made by Ted Allen at Headphone Lounge. He said his silver litz by Ted with his balanced amp on Noble 6s were a great improvement over the stock cables.

Jun 16, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #191 of 719
Moe,

You misunderstand his post. The Silver Dragon is NOT made by Ted Allen at Headphone Lounge. He said his silver litz by Ted with his balanced amp on Noble 6s were a great improvement over the stock cables.

No I didn't misunderstand it, I just didn't word it right.  I know the Silver Dragon isn't made by Ted.  But I was talking about what other users have told me about the Litz cable with the Shure SE846.  Sorry if it was worded the wrong way.

Jun 16, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #192 of 719
You should try the Reference Cable for yourself, the synergy with the 846 is excellent. Quite honestly I have never heard a anyone say once they have tried the silver litz the did not hear a material improvement but we all perceive sound differently.

Jun 16, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #193 of 719
Jun 16, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #194 of 719
You should try the Reference Cable for yourself, the synergy with the 846 is excellent. Quite honestly I have never heard a anyone say once they have tried the silver litz the did not hear a material improvement but we all perceive sound differently.

For sure.  I will definitely keep that in mind.  I appreciate your help and assistance, spook76!

Jun 16, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #195 of 719

Users who are viewing this thread

Back