The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 9, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #23,596 of 28,989
Same here. I demoed the hd800 shorty after release and wasn't impressed. I have continued to see reviewer after reviewer mention then as one of the best dynamic headphone over the last seven years and when the HD800s came out I decided to pick up a second pair of original HD800 to try for an extended period.

I am a convert. With my Mojo (and also my home tube setup) the HD800 are my reference headphone. I am listening to my music collection again with 'new ears'

The moment I listened to my old music collection, I fell in love with it once again. Though that means my Stax purchase was kinda a waste of money... I was going to return to estats but too much hassle.

Speaking of Mojo, I've tried the Mojo with HD800 and while it sounded nice, it seemed to push the Mojo almost to its limit since the owner said "Wow it lights blue" which might mean almost full volume.
Considering that, I wonder how about Hugo. Is there anyone here who pairs their HD800 with Hugo? It looks convenient so I'm a bit interested.

Sep 9, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #23,597 of 28,989
The moment I listened to my old music collection, I fell in love with it once again. Though that means my Stax purchase was kinda a waste of money... I was going to return to estats but too much hassle.

Speaking of Mojo, I've tried the Mojo with HD800 and while it sounded nice, it seemed to push the Mojo almost to its limit since the owner said "Wow it lights blue" which might mean almost full volume.
Considering that, I wonder how about Hugo. Is there anyone here who pairs their HD800 with Hugo? It looks convenient so I'm a bit interested.

Love the Hugo/HD-800 pairing, a fellow head-fier stopped by last week and I liked the pairing a lot.

Sep 9, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #23,598 of 28,989

When I use the Mojo it is either double light blue or double dark blue with HD800. This is just over half volume I think. I am auditioning Hugo, Hugo TT and Dave next month so am very interested in the differences. What I have found is that HD800 can be detailed, bass light or bass heavy depending on amplification and upstream components. My valve amp sounds lovely but can blur some detail.

Sep 9, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #23,599 of 28,989
I wasn't actually going to buy HD800 as my flagship because I had demoed em several times at first and wasn't impressed. But ended up buying one on a whim and now it stays :D
Though there were times when I felt like selling them but in the end I learned to love them again.
Now I know I haven't heard their best yet but am planning to do so, hopefully soon.

Same here. I demoed the hd800 shorty after release and wasn't impressed. I have continued to see reviewer after reviewer mention then as one of the best dynamic headphone over the last seven years and when the HD800s came out I decided to pick up a second pair of original HD800 to try for an extended period.

I am a convert. With my Mojo (and also my home tube setup) the HD800 are my reference headphone. I am listening to my music collection again with 'new ears'

Since I changed the cable to a Black Dragon, my (modified and equalized) HD 800 is getting more use again. The sound is not clearly better in the sense of more accurate, but definitely smoother and easier to listen to, also more coherent. I had to adjust the EQ settings quite a bit (in favor of the upper treble) and after a while had to adjust it half the way down again, which I attribute to some sort of «cable burn-in». :p

Double blue is nothing special, even double dark blue or double purple. Far from straining the output stage.

Sep 9, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #23,600 of 28,989
When I use the Mojo it is either double light blue or double dark blue with HD800. This is just over half volume I think. I am auditioning Hugo, Hugo TT and Dave next month so am very interested in the differences. What I have found is that HD800 can be detailed, bass light or bass heavy depending on amplification and upstream components. My valve amp sounds lovely but can blur some detail.

Yup, that's the volume. Same when I demoed the Mojo.
True about amplification, which is why I'm currently looking for a great one. It's just... All the good stuffs are in the US...

Since I changed the cable to a Black Dragon, my (modified and equalized) HD 800 is getting more use again. The sound is not clearly better in the sense of more accurate, but definitely smoother and easier to listen to, also more coherent. I had to adjust the EQ settings quite a bit (in favor of the upper treble) and after a while had to adjust it half the way down again, which I attribute to some sort of «cable burn-in». :p

Double blue is nothig special, even double dark blue or double purple. Far from straining the output stage.

My HD800 is SD modded and that totally kills the treble peak :D
Although I didn't really have problem with treble, but it's better.

Also thanks for the info. I don't own a Mojo so the colors confuse me.

Sep 9, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #23,601 of 28,989

Hello. I too am a mojo Hd-800 combo user and like the combination pretty good. Yes some songs does reach the blue colour on your volume buttons but I feel upto green for my personal taste is pretty good for this lovely cute musical Dac the Mojo. I love it.
I did demo the Hugo with Hd 800 at a friends place and it sounded very god too. Yes the Hugo has a bit of bigger volume but I did not feel that Hugo was bing driven upto its limits. :wink:

Sep 9, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #23,602 of 28,989
Yup, that's the volume. Same when I demoed the Mojo.
True about amplification, which is why I'm currently looking for a great one. It's just... All the good stuffs are in the US...
My HD800 is SD modded and that totally kills the treble peak :D
Although I didn't really have problem with treble, but it's better.

Also thanks for the info. I don't own a Mojo so the colors confuse me.

I just received my felt rings and am going to try modding the Hd 800 and see how goes. Can you explain more how you find the soundstage with the kill of treble peak is all good or has the soundstage diminished a bit. AS I read on these forums some claim it is not so.:wink:
I have orderd the Burson Soloist MK2 as my SS amp and WA6 with Sophia Princess plus upgrade drivers soon as my Tube amp. That will be my end game :rolleyes:

Sep 9, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #23,603 of 28,989
Hello. I too am a mojo Hd-800 combo user and like the combination pretty good. Yes some songs does reach the blue colour on your volume buttons but I feel upto green for my personal taste is pretty good for this lovely cute musical Dac the Mojo. I love it.
I did demo the Hugo with Hd 800 at a friends place and it sounded very god too. Yes the Hugo has a bit of bigger volume but I did not feel that Hugo was bing driven upto its limits. :wink:

Thanks for the impressions.
The only good thing about Hugo that interests me is the inputs it has, including bluetooth.
But I guess I'll just focus on my goal on getting the big boy amp.

I just received my felt rings and am going to try modding the Hd 800 and see how goes. Can you explain more how you find the soundstage with the kill of treble peak is all good or has the soundstage diminished a bit. AS I read on these forums some claim it is not so.:wink:

The SD resonator, right? "It is not so" might be correct. Personally I did not notice any degradation in soundstage after I installed the mod. Only amazement reflected in my eyes. Yeah, I was amazed because the first thing I tried after installing the mod was to play a song that I know having piercing sound at the beginning. And I was fine. Only treble peak gone for good. Though probably because of that too, that I for the first time found the bass on HD800 is actually really nice.
IMO the mod is really the solution for the treble problem some people have.

As for my endgame amp... let's see... Can't really promise anything but one can wish.
Hopefully any the Black Widow or Zana Deux S (the latter is really hard to find...)

Sep 9, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #23,604 of 28,989
The only good thing about Hugo that interests me is the inputs it has, including bluetooth.
The SD resonator, right? "It is not so" might be correct. Personally I did not notice any degradation in soundstage after I installed the mod. Only amazement reflected in my eyes. Yeah, I was amazed because the first thing I tried after installing the mod was to play a song that I know having piercing sound at the beginning. And I was fine. Only treble peak gone for good. Though probably because of that too, that I for the first time found the bass on HD800 is actually really nice.

As for my endgame amp... let's see... Can't really promise anything but one can wish.
Hopefully any the Black Widow or Zana Deux S (the latter is really hard to find...)

The Zana Deaux is the best but apparently $2389 is way beyond my budget. :D But you will have the best if you do buy it. I am sure that wish will lead you to it. The mod felts i got is the superduper resonator. Bought it from the creator of this mod. I have yet to try them. But many who have been using it dont want to let go and are enjoying the hd 800 more so.:rolleyes:

Yes Hugo has excellent input options but the sound is one step above its little brother Mojo. It does give you bigger soundstage .

Sep 9, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #23,605 of 28,989
The Zana Deaux is the best but apparently $2389 is way beyond my budget. :D But you will have the best if you do buy it. I am sure that wish will lead you to it. The mod felts i got is the superduper resonator. Bought it from the creator of this mod. I have yet to try them. But many who have been using it dont want to let go and are enjoying the hd 800 more so.:rolleyes:

Yes Hugo has excellent input options but the sound is one step above its little brother Mojo. It does give you bigger soundstage .

Even finding them used is hard, moreover in EU... Probably might have to give up although I may stretch my budget later...
Wonder if there is any 2nd or 3rd owner of DNA Stratus in EU who wants to let their amp go. That's my option too.

I brought my modded HD800 to a local meet and people there said the treble is smoother. It works great. I anax'd my HD800 before but did not notice any significant difference compared to the resonator.

Sep 9, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #23,606 of 28,989

There are two Black Widows for sale just for your information. They are not made anymore so if you want one I'd grab one asap.

Sep 9, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #23,609 of 28,989
  Looking to get a cheap SS amp for my hd800's. Not sure whether to get the magni 2 or the asgard 2?

Cheers

I have the Asgard 2 running my HD800 phones. I almost never hear any brightness unless it it on the recording. I was worried, when I bought the Sennheisers, that I would not like them as I hate painful highs. However, I listen to just CDs and classical at that. From what I read, this is what the HD800 is best suited for.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back