The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 12, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #23,626 of 28,992

Are you asking me to recommend one in particular because you're thinking of buying or are you asking me just in order to know which I personally preferred ?

I'm asking to know which one you preferred.

Taking the price difference into consideration the one I liked the most was the Auralic Taurus MKII.  It wasn't as neutral as the GS-X MK2 for example but it had noticeable depth in it's soundstage. None of the other amps had this attribute to my recollection.  

Surprisingly the amp that disappointed me the most was the GS-X MK2, maybe because I expected too much based on the posts and two reviews in particular that I had read.  Also based on the price which BTW made me realize that depending on personal "sound taste", price is not always the most reliable factor/ guarantee that the amp will become your "end game" one.

The Taurus MKII has good detail, the bass is tight and it's a bit warmer than the GS-X MK2, BHA-1 and A1 although the latter is closer to the Taurus MKII overall sound than the first two.  This sound signature, for my personal taste, is better with the HD800 than a more neutral amp.

For the difference in cost between the GS-X MK2 & the Taurus MKII I definitely find the Taurus MKII to be the best choice/ bargain overall.

Sep 13, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #23,627 of 28,992
Just got and installed the SD mod. I tested the before and after using a track I had that sounded very sibilant on the HD800s, especially when the male singer said anything with an "s". After the mod, I did a double take. Still a very high focused song, as that was the recording's fault, but the "s" didn't throw a javelin through the side of my head anymore!

I did seem to notice a weaker bass impact/dynamics (which seemed to benefit from a bump in the 100-125hz range on EQ to bring it back up) and slightly less air, but that might also be because I'm not in an ideal listening environment atm (very loud roommate with fans going). It also seems like I need to turn the knob on my amp further to get them up to my normal listening volume, but again that could also be the environment. But overall, the no longer as piercing highs is a great addition to an already amazing headphone.

*edit* Just realized I can listen to my Liquid DnB playlists without pain now! Loving this mod more and more.

Sep 13, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #23,628 of 28,992
  Just got and installed the SD mod. I tested the before and after using a track I had that sounded very sibilant on the HD800s, especially when the male singer said anything with an "s". After the mod, I did a double take. Still a very high focused song, as that was the recording's fault, but the "s" didn't throw a javelin through the side of my head anymore!

I did seem to notice a weaker bass impact/dynamics (which seemed to benefit from a bump in the 100-125hz range on EQ to bring it back up) and slightly less air, but that might also be because I'm not in an ideal listening environment atm (very loud roommate with fans going). It also seems like I need to turn the knob on my amp further to get them up to my normal listening volume, but again that could also be the environment. But overall, the no longer as piercing highs is a great addition to an already amazing headphone.

*edit* Just realized I can listen to my Liquid DnB playlists without pain now! Loving this mod more and more.

Where does one buy the SD resonator/mod at?

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #23,629 of 28,992
Sep 14, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #23,630 of 28,992
No mystery there. Reducing the 6khz contributes to reduce the masking effect of the peak. Hence the "moar bass, moar mids, moar volume" . :)

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #23,631 of 28,992
Sep 14, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #23,633 of 28,992
come on guys,

support the original mod maker and buy it from him. It's easy, fast and very fair. First shipment I got went through a journey throughout Europe and Sorrodje instantly sent me a new letter. 

Sep 15, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #23,634 of 28,992
Fast or not depends on the waiting list though 
biggrin.gif

But yeah rather than buying from Ebay, better order it directly from Sorrodje.
This mod totally worth it.

Sep 15, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #23,635 of 28,992
There's no more waiting list so it's fast. 

Sep 15, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #23,636 of 28,992
I need to share I'm in love with my HD 800 now with french mod, I own the stock HD 800 for a couple of years, the treble can be from time to time to harsh, also depending on the record and mastering of the music, this change is quite nice, since no airiness get lost, very happy with the results.

I also made a few blind test I have two HD 800 with almost same S/N range one with french mod and one stock.

It's very decent change, but for me even with so much love for stock HD 800 for a couple of years, the HD 800 F is truly the better one. The HD 800 S is also different beast, I need more time to listen to it to really say more about.

Sep 15, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #23,637 of 28,992
  I need to share I'm in love with my HD 800 now with french mod, I own the stock HD 800 for a couple of years, the treble can be from time to time to harsh, also depending on the record and mastering of the music, this change is quite nice, since no airiness get lost, very happy with the results.

I also made a few blind test I have two HD 800 with almost same S/N range one with french mod and one stock.

It's very decent change, but for me even with so much love for stock HD 800 for a couple of years, the HD 800 F is truly the better one. The HD 800 S is also different beast, I need more time to listen to it to really say more about.

Great! How is the soundstage got affected by that mod on the HD800?

Sep 16, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #23,639 of 28,992
Many thks for all these positive comment. It's very rewarding and they're much appreciated. :)

Sep 16, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #23,640 of 28,992
No mystery there. Reducing the 6khz contributes to reduce the masking effect of the peak. Hence the "moar bass, moar mids, moar volume" .
smily_headphones1.gif

I finally Did it. Inserted the resonator made by you and now the Hd 800 sounds better. But I can say it does not bring the peak of 6KHZ down totally but I would say about 3db lower. At least the shrill is no more there. Thanks my friend for this.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back