The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 16, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #23,641 of 29,013
  I finally Did it. Inserted the resonator made by you and now the Hd 800 sounds better. But I can say it does not bring the peak of 6KHZ down totally but I would say about 3db lower. At least the shrill is no more there. Thanks my friend for this.
beerchug.gif

It's a fantastic mod, and I love the set of cans with it. However I must apologize as I bought the mod off ebay - it didn't cost much and I thought these kinds of mods are public domain...

Sep 16, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #23,642 of 29,013

It's a fantastic mod, and I love the set of cans with it. However I must apologize as I bought the mod off ebay - it didn't cost much and I thought these kinds of mods are public domain...

Yes our friend Sarrodje is creator of the superdupont mod and it is the best. There are videos to help out too. I am glad i used these resonators.. Hope your issue gets solved too.

Sep 16, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #23,643 of 29,013

I thought these kinds of mods are public domain...

Actually it's protected by a CC-by-SA license. conditions are crystal clear :

"All art, instructions, material selections and information in this post and following posts (collectively the "****** HD800 SuperDupont Resonator mod by Sorrodje") are covered by the Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike 4.0 international license. Any derivative work may be sold as long as instructions and art are distributed freely and correct attribution (mention of the name of the mod, Sorrodje, and a link to this thread) is maintained."

So the ebay seller in the US is totally in line with the license :) . Another ebay classified isn't . 

And You have the choice to purchase the mod where you want :wink: 

Sep 16, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #23,644 of 29,013

Actually it's protected by a CC-by-SA license. conditions are crystal clear :

"All art, instructions, material selections and information in this post and following posts (collectively the "****** HD800 SuperDupont Resonator mod by Sorrodje") are covered by the Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike 4.0 international license. Any derivative work may be sold as long as instructions and art are distributed freely and correct attribution (mention of the name of the mod, Sorrodje, and a link to this thread) is maintained."

So the ebay seller in the US is totally in line with the license :) . Another ebay classified isn't . 

And You have the choice to purchase the mod where you want :wink: 

Indeed, I used the "public domain" rather broadly.

It's a great mod, and you've done great work. I find myself reaching for my SD-800 over my LCD-3F all the time.

Sep 16, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #23,645 of 29,013
Thks again. All positive comments are much appreciated :) 

Sep 16, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #23,646 of 29,013

Great! How is the soundstage got affected by that mod on the HD800?

No sir, it's still the same width and depth and typical 3D holographic soundstage which we all love.

Sep 16, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #23,647 of 29,013
So is anyone wanting a new set of cushions, complete with headphone?

The stock is back at FocusCamera and $899 is about as low as I've seen them.

Wow, great price. I've been on the fence about purchasing the HD800s for a while. One question: was the issue of the paint chipping or peeling ever addressed by Sennheiser?

Sep 16, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #23,648 of 29,013
Wow, great price. I've been on the fence about purchasing the HD800s for a while. One question: was the issue of the paint chipping or peeling ever addressed by Sennheiser?

Nope... pretty much if they touch any hard surface with minimal force, they will likely chip.
After the first 3 times of hunting down and owning flawless HD800s, I realized that it was kind of pointless as they would chip over the period ownership, so my next 3 pairs were cheaper via the secondhand market with chipped paint.

The stock cable is locked in tight enough to where if you aren't really careful about disconnecting the cable, you can pull out the cable with too much force and unintentionally scrape up your HD800 while doing it.  Talk about something that induces high anxiety.

Sep 16, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #23,650 of 29,013

Nope... pretty much if they touch any hard surface with minimal force, they will likely chip.
After the first 3 times of hunting down and owning flawless HD800s, I realized that it was kind of pointless as they would chip over the period ownership, so my next 3 pairs were cheaper via the secondhand market with chipped paint.

The stock cable is locked in tight enough to where if you aren't really careful about disconnecting the cable, you can pull out the cable with too much force and unintentionally scrape up your HD800 while doing it.  Talk about something that induces high anxiety.

Does the 800S also have this chipping issue, on the similar areas but that are black now?

Sep 16, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #23,652 of 29,013
I can't be bothered to treat headphones as if they're porcelain. I toss them onto couches and mattresses with abandon. If I lose some value in resell, so be it.

HD800 sounds as good as it ever has and the paint imperfections are hardly noticeable unless you're looking for them.

Sep 18, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #23,653 of 29,013
Hello,

I would like to enjoy your research and knowledges about the HD800.

Does substitute a DAC and a headphone amp by a great MAO external soundcard is possible ?
The converters and the integrated amp will they be good ?
Because I heard about the great conversions N/A and A/N, but also about the poor headphones output qualities in this devices…

I need neutral and transparent sound with an external soundcard able to drive and operate the HD800’s full range of frequencies, because I would like to combine this device for recording and mixing (next to monitors working) with high definition (.WAV, .FLAC, …) files and lossless listenings ; but no “colored”.

Is it possible ? Do you have any suggestions external soundcards ?

Thanks !

Sep 18, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #23,655 of 29,013
  Thanks noted. Appreciate you help. I too am keen and inclined towards Tube amps. I will check on these However these amps are bit on the higher cost.
wink.gif

Haven't moved beyond this point in the thread, but I'm assuming the Mjolnir 2 with tubes has been recommended to your list.  I'm presently listening to unmodded HD800 with an old cardas balanced cable and Amperex tubes and think it's delightful, but it maybe a case of "ignorance is bliss" as I've never demo'ed the ALO or anything in the the Wa line up.  Since it's unlikely that I will, I've persuaded myself that I've hit gold with the present setup and haven't even rolled more tubes yet.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back