The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 11, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #23,612 of 28,992
  Does the vali have any white noise/random cracking noise i stopped using my bottlehead crack because i hated the random noises. 

Well welcome to the tube world.

Even my Woo Audio WA7 has random noise during its warm up.

Sorry to hear the bottlehead does as well.  I haven't got mine put together yet, still putting the finish on the wooden base.

Sep 11, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #23,614 of 28,992
SS will always be quieter than tubes. Vali 1 had a low noise floor, but you could hear some white noise with the volume turned up when you music was paused. Not an issue during playback for me, though.

Sep 11, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #23,615 of 28,992
Does the vali have any white noise/random cracking noise i stopped using my bottlehead crack because i hated the random noises. 

Shouldn't have random noises unless a tube is going bad. Crackling, popping, static... Bad tube.

Edit: I forgot whistling. Sounds like you're cooking a potato in the microwave. Very annoying.

Sep 11, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #23,617 of 28,992
You really need to up your amp budget to $1k or go with the hd600 which is allot like the 800 but more forgiving. The hd600 is less resolving but will still scale up to $1k amps. The hd600, 650 and 800 are really known for scaling with totl amps. 

I think for people who are unwilling or unable to amp the HD800 properly, the ENIGMAcoustics Dharma is a pretty strong alternative, as well.

Sep 11, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #23,619 of 28,992
It was this weird noise it wasn't crackling or anything. When i played around switching in new tubes when rolling it wouldn't make a difference.
Anyway i hear with a tube amp you can get noise like that and i'm pretty OCD where if i notice something that's all i'll notice. And i already have the hd800. Budget is kind of tight at the moment and i don't really listen to my headphones that much since i've recentely got a good set of studio monitors. I'm just using the internal amp of my Cambridge dac magic plus at the moment which is pretty lacking as long as i can get an improvement on that i'm happy.
Just wondering would an hd800 being driven poorly by a magni 2 uber sound better than TH900's being driven by the magni 2?

Sep 11, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #23,620 of 28,992
  It was this weird noise it wasn't crackling or anything. When i played around switching in new tubes when rolling it wouldn't make a difference.
Anyway i hear with a tube amp you can get noise like that and i'm pretty OCD where if i notice something that's all i'll notice. And i already have the hd800. Budget is kind of tight at the moment and i don't really listen to my headphones that much since i've recentely got a good set of studio monitors. I'm just using the internal amp of my Cambridge dac magic plus at the moment which is pretty lacking as long as i can get an improvement on that i'm happy.
Just wondering would an hd800 being driven poorly by a magni 2 uber sound better than TH900's being driven by the magni 2?

I think you might have a bad solder joint somewhere, when I first built my Crack it had very faint hum and a slight channel imbalance, all due to 1 solder joint being not quite perfect.

As for you last question, I'll take the TH900 on the Magni2, the HD-800 on most SS amps is just a touch to harsh for me, a poorly driven HD-800 is not something I think many would enjoy while a poorly driven TH900 is still a pretty good sounding headphone IMO.

Sep 11, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #23,621 of 28,992
The only headphone amp with which I've heard my HD800 at their full potential is the Zana Deux.  The overall sound is detailed, smooth, soundstage is nice and accurate with a nice dept, bass is very tight with no sloppiness, the highs are smooth without any harshness and no roll off;  overall they never get fatiguing either.  The other very good amps I've owned were the HeadAmp GS-X1, the Taurus MKII, the BHA-1, the GS-1, the vintage Fisher 500C & the Beyer A1.  

None of those amps brought out the HD800's overall sound excellence like the ZDS. I can say the same for the other HPs I own: the HD600, HD650 & T1 Gen.1.  

I don't see myself looking/ wishing for another amp.  I fell in love w/ the HD800 all over again.

Sep 12, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #23,622 of 28,992
  The only headphone amp with which I've heard my HD800 at their full potential is the Zana Deux.  The overall sound is detailed, smooth, soundstage is nice and accurate with a nice dept, bass is very tight with no sloppiness, the highs are smooth without any harshness and no roll off;  overall they never get fatiguing either.  The other very good amps I've owned were the HeadAmp GS-X1, the Taurus MKII, the BHA-1, the GS-1, the vintage Fisher 500C & the Beyer A1.  

None of those amps brought out the HD800's overall sound excellence like the ZDS. I can say the same for the other HPs I own: the HD600, HD650 & T1 Gen.1.  

I don't see myself looking/ wishing for another amp.  I fell in love w/ the HD800 all over again.

If you had to choose a SS amp for HD800 instead, which of those would be your pick?

Sep 12, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #23,624 of 28,992

If you had to choose a SS amp for HD800 instead, which of those would be your pick?

Are you asking me to recommend one in particular because you're thinking of buying or are you asking me just in order to know which I personally preferred ?

Sep 12, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #23,625 of 28,992
  Are you asking me to recommend one in particular because you're thinking of buying or are you asking me just in order to know which I personally preferred ?

I'm asking to know which one you preferred.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back