The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 8, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #23,581 of 28,992
I replaced the pads of my HD800 some months ago and did not hear any differences. I don't think pads make any significant change on the HD800. Totally different from pads rolling on my HE-4 where sound changed pretty drastic.

as for difference between old vs new, long time ago I brought my HD800 SN02xxxx to the Sennheiser showroom where they had another HD800 SN13xxx connected to a HDVD800.
No difference I could notice. Granted, the testing environment wasn't optimal but hey what else could I do.
Just sharing experience.

Interesting.  Just out of curiosity Rozenberg how old would you say the SN02xxxx series is ?  or to put it another way, do you remember which year you bought your HD800 ?  The reason I'm asking is I'm considering buying a used pair with SN 021300.  I'm not sure how old they would be.  Thanks.

Sep 8, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #23,582 of 28,992
nope, I was talking about the old vs new serials. As for pads, it was about my years old earpads vs new earpads.
Tbh I never know there's the 0.5cm difference.
Are you sure the pads on older serials just haven't shrunk because of age?
Because my stock pair of pads have shrunk considerably much which made it feel thin.

Yes, the difference is clear.
It's not that the earpads go flatter, that's possible with age.
Newer pads are thicker all around, not necessarily deeper (the opening is smaller as a result)

Sep 8, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #23,583 of 28,992

Interesting.  Just out of curiosity Rozenberg how old would you say the SN02xxxx series is ?  or to put it another way, do you remember which year you bought your HD800 ?  The reason I'm asking is I'm considering buying a used pair with SN 021300.  I'm not sure how old they would be.  Thanks.

Unsure about the age but I would say 5-6 years old. Bought it from an old man who didn't remember when he bought it too and apparently he tried to perform mods on the unit so well... it's in pretty beaten up condition. Nonetheless they still work damn fine.

Yes, the difference is clear.
It's not that the earpads go flatter, that's possible with age.
Newer pads are thicker all around, not necessarily deeper (the opening is smaller as a result)

Oh now I know what you mean.
Well, I still have my old pads and might try to measure them after I return.

Sep 8, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #23,584 of 28,992
Interesting, I have an older pair sn 00470 and just bought brand new pads for them. The old pads measure the same as the new ones. You do realize the pads measure different depending on which side you measure. 2.5cm on the straight side. 2 cm on the curved side on both sets of pads.

Sep 8, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #23,585 of 28,992
  Interesting, I have an older pair sn 00470 and just bought brand new pads for them. The old pads measure the same as the new ones. You do realize the pads measure different depending on which side you measure. 2.5cm on the straight side. 2 cm on the curved side on both sets of pads.

I would be very interested in your impressions on any sonic differences between your older pair and the newer one. I just picked up a pair s/n 00563 and would imagine they are from the same ''run'. I had a pair awhile back that was 10000+ series but I have no faith that my recollection of their sound signature will be helpful when I listen to the current(incoming) older version. Tks

Sep 8, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #23,586 of 28,992

my apologies.. I misread your post. You picked up new pads, not a new set of cans. nm..lol

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #23,587 of 28,992

My pair is SN 025XXX, purchased new 10/13.

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #23,588 of 28,992

My pair is SN 025XXX, purchased new 10/13.

Thanks, zimzim2001 that helps.  Much appreciated. 

Sep 8, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #23,589 of 28,992
So is anyone wanting a new set of cushions, complete with headphone?

The stock is back at FocusCamera and $899 is about as low as I've seen them.

Sep 8, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #23,590 of 28,992

Wow, that is an incredible price! I have seen them go for more on Ebay used... 
blink.gif
 Will refer a friend who was on the fence about getting these, thanks. 

Sep 8, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #23,591 of 28,992

Now that's a deal! I wish people on the For Sale Forum who sell their HD800 would see this! Some of the headphones over there go for crazy ridiculous prices!! :frowning2:

Sep 9, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #23,592 of 28,992
Listened to HD800 for the first time after a week of K1000, with occasional HE-6. It's like coming home to a spouse after an illicit week in Verbier or Milan.

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #23,593 of 28,992

Considering the prices of some of the more recent flag ship headphones.

This is such a darn good deal.

Amp these right and you have a very nice rig for a reasonable amount.

I could not imagine the HD800 not being in my rotation.

Definitely one of my best purchases......ever.

SN: 19060

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #23,594 of 28,992
I wasn't actually going to buy HD800 as my flagship because I had demoed em several times at first and wasn't impressed. But ended up buying one on a whim and now it stays :D
Though there were times when I felt like selling them but in the end I learned to love them again.
Now I know I haven't heard their best yet but am planning to do so, hopefully soon.

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #23,595 of 28,992
I wasn't actually going to buy HD800 as my flagship because I had demoed em several times at first and wasn't impressed. But ended up buying one on a whim and now it stays :D
Though there were times when I felt like selling them but in the end I learned to love them again.
Now I know I haven't heard their best yet but am planning to do so, hopefully soon.

Same here. I demoed the hd800 shorty after release and wasn't impressed. I have continued to see reviewer after reviewer mention then as one of the best dynamic headphone over the last seven years and when the HD800s came out I decided to pick up a second pair of original HD800 to try for an extended period.

I am a convert. With my Mojo (and also my home tube setup) the HD800 are my reference headphone. I am listening to my music collection again with 'new ears'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back