The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 7, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #23,566 of 28,992

I have heard both. Every HD800 comes with its own frequency response graph, so not every headphone is obviously identical, these individual differences has more to do with the subtle changes (if any) than the sonic differences between early to late models of the HD800. I would just buy the ones you can get the best deal on and are in good condition. In my opinion the differences between early to late models is a myth. 

It's not a myth, earlier HD800 had thinner earpads, this is easly measurable, as well as its effects.
Sennheiser plots differ more than third party plots in my experience. HD800's consistency is impressive as well as its driver matching.

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #23,567 of 28,992
  It's not a myth, earlier HD800 had thinner earpads, this is easly measurable, as well as its effects.
Sennheiser plots differ more than third party plots in my experience. HD800's consistency is impressive as well as its driver matching.

Which below S/N are we talking about here? 

Sep 7, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #23,568 of 28,992

I doubt in a blind test you would consistently tell the difference between the old and new models (I could not). I gave practical advice and still stand by it. 

Sep 7, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #23,569 of 28,992

Which below S/N are we talking about here? 

I don't have the exact number, but 08xxx still had thinner earpads.
Mine is 22xxx and has the newer ones, I know 30xxx pairs and they have the new ones as well.

My HD800

Early HD800 measures 2cm instead of 2.5cm

Sep 7, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #23,570 of 28,992

I doubt in a blind test you would consistently tell the difference between the old and new models (I could not). I gave practical advice and still stand by it. 

Feel free to doubt.

Blind testing is flawed because you can not compare A with B on a blind test.
You can only compare B with a recent memory-created version of A, and our memory is not that good for that task.

I can tell you 20 single digit numbers and then ask you to tell them to me, best chances are you won't be able to do it.
On the other hand, I'm pretty sure you can remember your phone number and many other phone numbers as well.

Sometimes, extended exposure to certain headphones can show subtle differences in a way that blind testing won't be able to expose.
It should be said, that blind testing is very person dependent as much as our memory capabilities.

Beyond giving practical advice you said you think the difference is a myth, that's not the case and that's why I've quoted you.
With regards to your practical advice

MikePio
 I would just buy the ones you can get the best deal on and are in good condition.

I'm not against it, more so I do think that placement can often play a bigger role than the subtle (and real) differences discussed here.

Sep 7, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #23,571 of 28,992
  Feel free to doubt.

Blind testing is flawed because you can not compare A with B on a blind test.
You can only compare B with a recent memory-created version of A, and our memory is not that good for that task.

I can tell you 20 single digit numbers and then ask you to tell them to me, best chances are you won't be able to do it.
On the other hand, I'm pretty sure you can remember your phone number and many other phone numbers as well.

Sometimes, extended exposure to certain headphones can show subtle differences in a way that blind testing won't be able to expose.
It should be said, that blind testing is very person dependent as much as our memory capabilities.

Beyond giving practical advice you said you think the difference is a myth, that's not the case and that's why I've quoted you.
With regards to your practical advice

I'm not against it, more so I do think that placement can often play a bigger role than the subtle (and real) differences discussed here.

I think it is pretty obvious and logical that you cannot compare two headphones at the exact same precise moment in time, so we have to compare within the given reality we live in. That is how you test if you like certain headphones right? You listen to your favorite headphone "A" and compare it (obviously by your memory or association of the sound) to headphone "B". Normally the differences between headphones of a different make is noticeable enough for us to make a decision on which one we would like to listen to.  Either way, I respectfully disagree with you. I am almost certainty positive you would not tell the difference between 0.5 cm of padding between the HD800's. If you want to argue that blind testing is flawed, that is fine and it is your opinion. 

Sep 7, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #23,573 of 28,992
  I don't think you can blind test headphones. What are you going to do? Cover the headphones up in tissue paper? Maybe have someone put the headphones on your head for you?

I would totally agree with you, but I was referring to the old and new HD800's. 

Sep 7, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #23,574 of 28,992

I think it is pretty obvious and logical that you cannot compare two headphones at the exact same precise moment in time, so we have to compare within the given reality we live in. That is how you test if you like certain headphones right? You listen to your favorite headphone "A" and compare it (obviously by your memory or association of the sound) to headphone "B". Normally the differences between headphones of a different make is noticeable enough for us to make a decision on which one we would like to listen to.  Either way, I respectfully disagree with you. I am almost certainty positive you would not tell the difference between 0.5 cm of padding between the HD800's. If you want to argue that blind testing is flawed, that is fine and it is your opinion. 

1- It's not my opinion, blind testing is flawed for the reasons I've explained before. Period.
If you think blind testing is perfect then you are wrong and that's it.

2+2=3 is wrong
2+2=4 is fact

2- You are the only one wondering if I can or cannot tell the difference between new and old HD800 (no one knows why)
Someone was asking for the difference among these models, so I've gave him the answer based on objective information (ie. third party measurements)

Sep 7, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #23,575 of 28,992

1- It's not my opinion, blind testing is flawed for the reasons I've explained before. Period.
If you think blind testing is perfect then you are wrong and that's it.

2+2=3 is wrong
2+2=4 is fact

2- You are the only one wondering if I can or cannot tell the difference between new and old HD800 (no one knows why)
Someone was asking for the difference among these models, so I've gave him the answer based on objective information (ie. third party measurements)

1- Calm down. 

2- It is an opinion. 

3- Thank you for your complex mathematical example, next time you might want to simplify that further.

4- I am assuming the person was referring to sonic changes between the HD800's (old and new) and so from personal experience hearing both I could not tell an audible difference, irregardless of your "third party measurements".  

Sep 7, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #23,576 of 28,992

I would totally have agreed with you a short time ago, but my recent experience with pads on my Fostex T50RPmk3 HPs has shown just how important ear cushion material is in the audio equation and just one of the factors in the overall HP design.  Many including myself would like the T50RP to be more comfy, but the comfy pads (wider, deeper, or softer) totally destroy the amazing sound.

This is the first I have heard about differences in the HD800 cushions, mine are fairly new 45xxx, but I can certainly believe it could make a difference in the sound signature.

And yes, I have been doing a lot of A - B listening lately.

Sep 7, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #23,577 of 28,992

I would totally have agreed with you a short time ago, but my recent experience with pads on my Fostex T50RPmk3 HPs has shown just how important ear cushion material is in the audio equation and just one of the factors in the overall HP design.  Many including myself would like the T50RP to be more comfy, but the comfy pads (wider, deeper, or softer) totally destroy the amazing sound.

This is the first I have heard about differences in the HD800 cushions, mine are fairly new 45xxx, but I can certainly believe it could make a difference in the sound signature.

And yes, I have been doing a lot of A - B listening lately.

I recently changed my earpads on the DT150's and there was a change in the sound signature. I was referring specifically to the HD800's. I could not hear a sonic difference from the 0.5cm pad difference.

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #23,578 of 28,992
I replaced the pads of my HD800 some months ago and did not hear any differences. I don't think pads make any significant change on the HD800. Totally different from pads rolling on my HE-4 where sound changed pretty drastic.

as for difference between old vs new, long time ago I brought my HD800 SN02xxxx to the Sennheiser showroom where they had another HD800 SN13xxx connected to a HDVD800.
No difference I could notice. Granted, the testing environment wasn't optimal but hey what else could I do.
Just sharing experience.

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #23,579 of 28,992
I replaced the pads of my HD800 some months ago and did not hear any differences. I don't think pads make any significant change on the HD800. Totally different from pads rolling on my HE-4 where sound changed pretty drastic.

as for difference between old vs new, long time ago I brought my HD800 SN02xxxx to the Sennheiser showroom where they had another HD800 SN13xxx connected to a HDVD800.
No difference I could notice. Granted, the testing environment wasn't optimal but hey what else could I do.
Just sharing experience.

Are you sure the HD800 SN13xxx had the older pads?

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #23,580 of 28,992
Are you sure the HD800 SN13xxx had the older pads?

nope, I was talking about the old vs new serials. As for pads, it was about my years old earpads vs new earpads.
Tbh I never know there's the 0.5cm difference.
Are you sure the pads on older serials just haven't shrunk because of age?
Because my stock pair of pads have shrunk considerably much which made it feel thin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back