The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 10, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #17,986 of 28,989
  Well I slightly disagree with Sorrodje, but I can understand people who don't like them with heavy metal or garage rock or super compressed modern pop.

Then we mostly agree 
beerchug.gif

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #17,987 of 28,989
  Well I slightly disagree with Sorrodje, but I can understand people who don't like them with heavy metal or garage rock or super compressed modern pop. But if it is acoustic Jazz these headphones are near perfect.

Love 'em with metal and etc. Only headphone i have heard that does leading edges and transients right. With appropriate chain.
HD800 actually suck badly with some gear with metal and super fast rock generes.

Jazz is on my playlist 50% of the time. This genre is incredible with the hd800. It won't disappoint. 

I sheldom listen jazz, but i can easily trick myself thinking i am listening the real thing. A friend of mine (jazzhead) loves HD800 with jazz.

Apr 10, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #17,988 of 28,989
  Right! Which is why I go to 50s jazz to test a headphone. I do think that I know what a violin or piano is supposed to sound like though, whereas I am not as sure what a drum machine or synthesizer is supposed to sound like...

It's still dangerous out there, though. Unless you're listening to original press vinyl or explicitly not remastered albums, they have most likely been remastered without your knowledge. Again, still not a bad thing, a lot of times work goes into fixing issues with the recording (and sometimes unfortunately wrecking the dynamic range). If something is remastered well (or mastered well in the first place, it'll be better than the original recording.

If we're talking about accuracy that's perfectly right. but that wasn't my point. 

Electronic Music are like drugs. we all know it's artificial but what we look for is to be overwhelmed by the music. The reference point is our own artificial pleasure not the real life. And I'm really picky when it comes to my personal pleasure. 
biggrin.gif

Definitely agreed. I'd also like to add that electronic music often supplies really clean signals and isn't limited by the microphone, recording room, etc. Great for assessing decay and ability to handle complexity, since often problems are not with the track itself, but with your gear.

Some electronic music can be very demanding of your gear as well, Hardscrabble by The Flashbulb was an album I simply couldn't understand until I got a pair of LCD-2's (and it's really incredible with the HD800's). If your gear isn't seriously good, it's just going to sound like a mess, especially "The Bridgeport Run", which is my complexity and decay speed test track.

Apr 10, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #17,989 of 28,989
Hey, it page 1200 !!!

I think the 9th person posting gets the headphone amp of his choice, that the last 20 posters all chip in to buy him !

I'll let everyone know by tomorrow which amp I'd like !!! Thanks in advance !!!

(Sorry, but I ran out of what I was "smoking", but I'll make sure to share the next time)

steve

Apr 10, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #17,990 of 28,989
  I'm trying to make some custom cables for a friends HD800 - and damn, these large barrel connectors cost an arm and a leg to ship to Canada.  Double Helix, Norne Audio and ALO Music charge $30USD for shipping. 

Other than eBay - where else can i grab HD800 connectors where shipping isnt that bad? 

Parts Connexion in Toronto i think they have Connex HD 800 connectors for $50.00 a pair and up 

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #17,991 of 28,989
Where is the best place to get a pair of replacements pads

Apr 11, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #17,994 of 28,989
  I'm trying to make some custom cables for a friends HD800 - and damn, these large barrel connectors cost an arm and a leg to ship to Canada.  Double Helix, Norne Audio and ALO Music charge $30USD for shipping. 

Other than eBay - where else can i grab HD800 connectors where shipping isnt that bad? 

If you really want to make a set of custom cables for your friends HD800, why not "Think outside the Box" & straightwire them to the
headphones drivers.

I did this with a DHC Molecule cable & love it. Just google "HD800; Disassemble & measurements" for a guide to how to get to the drivers. You're on your own when it comes to attaching the the actual cable to the driver's terminals ,but when you're looking at the existing connection to the input connector you realize it doesn't take any rocket science to just get rid of whats there & put a nice cable on. After you've attached the cable to the drivers, make sure you pull a little bit extra inside the headphone & secure it so the cable won't be pulling on the connection. I found a moldable glue that hardens to rubber called "Sugru" at Lowes . Place a ball of it on the wires & push it down to the opening where you removed the input jack from. Then do the same thing on the wires on the outside of the headphone pushing it up to where the wires are exiting the headphone. You have 30min. set time before it hardens.

I've made the assumption that he's a pretty good friend you're doing this for ! (Otherwise, just do this for your own headphones)

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #17,996 of 28,989
I think the HD800 excels with hollywood movies which is guaranteed to have excellent production quality. With music it's basically a hit or miss regardless of genre. There are even metal songs which sounds excellent with the HD800 so I don't think the HD800 is genre specific, as long as the production quality is very good.

But I listen to anything on the HD800 whether the audio quality is good or not since I'm not really bothered by it, as long as the music is good.

Apr 11, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #17,997 of 28,989
Tried the HD800 today, the bass is just not there, the highs are metallic and artificial.
This might be a good recording headphone, definitely not my type, i have been reading these things for years but i had to check

Apr 11, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #17,998 of 28,989
Tried the HD800 today, the bass is just not there, the highs are metallic and artificial.

This might be a good recording headphone, definitely not my type, i have been reading these things for years but i had to check

The amplifier matters with the HD 800 and can influence how much bass comes through. Did you have a good amp?

Apr 11, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #17,999 of 28,989

The amplifier matters with the HD 800 and can influence how much bass comes through. Did you have a good amp?

My asgard and the shop one. I refuse to believe an amp can add that much bass to compensate. Oh and those fake highs: Every "s" in a song was killing me.
Some songs came out really good, i enjoyed the comfort and the soundstage, for classical music this may be the definitive one. The bass is really good when it is present

Apr 11, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #18,000 of 28,989

My asgard and the shop one. I refuse to believe an amp can add that much bass to compensate

Continue to refuse, but we've heard what an OTL amp does to the HD800. YMMV. Also, you come from the LCD-2 and HD600/650. HD800 is a whole other beast.

Asgard and HD800 is one of the worst pairings, as Asgard accentuates all the bad characters of the HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back