The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 11, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #18,001 of 28,992

My asgard and the shop one. I refuse to believe an amp can add that much bass to compensate. Oh and those fake highs: Every "s" in a song was killing me.
Some songs came out really good, i enjoyed the comfort and the soundstage, for classical music this may be the definitive one. The bass is really good when it is present

On the right amp/dac the hd800 has some of the punchiest bass I've ever heard on any hp at any price. I confess that I haven't heard the Abyss though. 

Apr 11, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #18,002 of 28,992

Continue to refuse, but we've heard what an OTL amp does to the HD800. YMMV. Also, you come from the LCD-2 and HD600/650. HD800 is a whole other beast.

Asgard and HD800 is one of the worst pairings, as Asgard accentuates all the bad characters of the HD800.

I read pretty much everywhere it's a good pairing, while not the best. It's all been said for years though, no real need to write this again.
I can gamble and buy an expensive amp, change the cables, pray in ancient languages, but no one assures me the final result will be good. It should not sound THAT bad to begin with
  On the right amp/dac the hd800 has some of the punchiest bass I've ever heard on any hp at any price. I confess that I haven't heard the Abyss though. 

Yes i wrote the bass is good, but the extension is lacking, again i refuse to believe an amp can add THAT much extension, and i don't really want an amp that changes the song that much :/ Sure i would really like to try, unfortunately for where i live i've been really lucky to even try them

Apr 11, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #18,003 of 28,992
HD800 today, the bass is just not there, the highs are metallic and artificial.
This might be a good recording headphone, definitely not my type, i have been reading these things for years but i had to check
[/quote]

I hear people from time to time talk about lack of bass and too harsh treble for the HD800. Well to all of those headfiers who think this is evidence there is a fault with their sound signature let me one more spell it out. It's not the case!
These observations are based on a individuals findings; over how long a listen ? To what types of music? Is it through the amplifier you will use? What is the user used to hearing with their existing phones?
HD800 , for probably the 1000th time of saying in this forum , have an amazing width of sound , are great at detail are non fatiguing and deserve to be perceived as a high end headphone which will stand their own with any other high end headphone anyone else has.
The end

Apr 11, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #18,004 of 28,992

I read pretty much everywhere it's a good pairing, while not the best. It's all been said for years though, no real need to write this again.
I can gamble and buy an expensive amp, change the cables, pray in ancient languages, but no one assures me the final result will be good. It should not sound THAT bad to begin with

Yes i wrote the bass is good, but the extension is lacking, again i refuse to believe an amp can add THAT much extension, and i don't really want an amp that changes the song that much :/ Sure i would really like to try, unfortunately for where i live i've been really lucky to even try them

Believe it or don't. It's not my job to convince you or anyone for that matter. I'm just chiming in with my opinion so that other might recognize a difference of what I hear and what you hear if they come hear looking for information. 

So...IMO all the extension, all the punch and all the texture with the bass frequencies. Best I've heard. 

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #18,006 of 28,992
HD800 today, the bass is just not there, the highs are metallic and artificial.
This might be a good recording headphone, definitely not my type, i have been reading these things for years but i had to check

I hear people from time to time talk about lack of bass and too harsh treble for the HD800. Well to all of those headfiers who think this is evidence there is a fault with their sound signature let me one more spell it out. It's not the case!
These observations are based on a individuals findings; over how long a listen ? To what types of music? Is it through the amplifier you will use? What is the user used to hearing with their existing phones?
HD800 , for probably the 1000th time of saying in this forum , have an amazing width of sound , are great at detail are non fatiguing and deserve to be perceived as a high end headphone which will stand their own with any other high end headphone anyone else has.
The end[/quote]

The end? Lol

Believe it or don't. It's not my job to convince you or anyone for that matter. I'm just chiming in with my opinion so that other might recognize a difference of what I hear and what you hear if they come hear looking for information. 

So...IMO all the extension, all the punch and all the texture with the bass frequencies. Best I've heard. 

Well it may be you being strange as pretty much the whole world agrees on LCD being much better in that regard. Obviously i have no problem with your opinion

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #18,007 of 28,992
Okay now I feel the troll. And we have fed it. The moment you start to make universal claims like "everywhere", "everybody" and "the whole world agrees", you've lost your credibility, and your impressions become moot.

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #18,008 of 28,992
  Okay now I feel the troll. And we have fed it. The moment you start to make universal claims like "everywhere", "everybody" and "the whole world agrees", you've lost your credibility, and your impressions become moot.

What? "Takeanidea" said "the end", i just reminded that you are in the minority with your bass opinion, although perfectly legitimate. I also said that i would really like to try them again if i could, so cut the troll ******** please

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #18,009 of 28,992
  Tried the HD800 today, the bass is just not there, the highs are metallic and artificial.

"the bass is just not there"  
"the highs are metallic and artificial"

Both of these are due to what you are using to feed them.

As has been said, repeatedly, 800's will deliver the signal fed them with all the warts and sharp edges intact, with stark precision.

This is true of most SotA devices, not just 800's.

JJ

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #18,010 of 28,992
  "the bass is just not there"  
"the highs are metallic and artificial"

Both of these are due to what you are using to feed them.

As has been said, repeatedly, 800's will deliver the signal fed them with all the warts and sharp edges intact, with stark precision.

This is true of most SotA devices, not just 800's.

JJ

It's not even remotely precise when it's cutting the bass completely. If you say i must compensate this with dark amplifiers that's the opposite of what you're saying

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #18,011 of 28,992
  It's not even remotely precise when it's cutting the bass completely. If you say i must compensate this with dark amplifiers that's the opposite of what you're saying

I have never heard bass like I have with my 800's.
Ever!

The 800's aren't "cutting the bass completely", what is feeding them has.

"If you say i must compensate this with dark amplifiers that's the opposite of what you're saying", I said no such thing.

If you want 800's to sing, then your search is on for a proper dac and amp (both are crucial, not just the amp).

State of the Art requires a proper match with ALL components if you seek to explore this portion of the audio spectrum.  
Even if all you want is decent SQ using 800's, this still requires a decent signal them.

You'll know, immediately, when the signal isn't decent. 

JJ

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #18,012 of 28,992

Continue to refuse, but we've heard what an OTL amp does to the HD800. YMMV. Also, you come from the LCD-2 and HD600/650. HD800 is a whole other beast.

Asgard and HD800 is one of the worst pairings, as Asgard accentuates all the bad characters of the HD800.

Nope, Asgard is the problem there. I didn't like it with dynamics or orthos. For orthos, I'd rather go with Emotiva Mini-x.

(I know a lot of people love that amp. In fact, I nearly got one myself but opted for the Mini-x. I just didn't find anything attractive about it whatsoever in terms of sound. Just the price I guess.)

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #18,013 of 28,992
  I have never heard bass like I have with my 800's.
Ever!

The 800's aren't "cutting the bass completely", what is feeding them has.

"If you say i must compensate this with dark amplifiers that's the opposite of what you're saying", I said no such thing.

If you want 800's to sing, then your search is on for a proper dac and amp (both are crucial, not just the amp).

State of the Art requires a proper match with ALL components if you seek to explore this portion of the audio spectrum.  
Even if all you want is decent SQ using 800's, this still requires a decent signal them.

You'll know, immediately, when the signal isn't decent. 

JJ

What is a proper DAC for you? Are we talking balanced?

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #18,014 of 28,992

The HD800 is so appealing for audiophiles because it can scale with the quality of the Source/DAC/AMP combo.  A complex and expensive journey.  Matt knows!

I'll see you at the next meet Matt :)

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #18,015 of 28,992

That is odd. I was lead to believe the HD800s had very few faults.  Please explain in detail please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back