The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 12, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #18,031 of 28,992

Utter crap. I had that combo before. It was muddied, closed-in and just ... bad. The HD800 can do a lot more better than this. 

On a side note - I am going to try the following combo:

Source:               Schiit Modi 2 Uber + Wyrd / Audiophillieo 1 PP
Dynamic amp:     Eddie Current 4-45
Dynamic cans:    Senn HD800
E-stat amp:         KGSSHV
E-stat cans:        Stax SR009

While my MSB Analog died on me and is undergoing repairs, my Emotiva has been sent home for use with my Teton. That leaves my office-rig DAC-less. Perhaps this $150 DAC that is the Modi 2 will give me some enjoyment while I wait for the Yggy? Time will tell.

Where did the Rag go?

Apr 12, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #18,032 of 28,992
Which combo did you like the most ?

EC 4-45 + HD800 combo is best for live acoustic and classical, I like it a lot better than the KGSSHV + SR009 for classical in fact. For anything else, KGSSHV + SR009 is much better. It does boil down to musical and sound preferences.

Teton + HD800 is quite pointless because I have the 4-45 for classical and the KGSSHV for other stuff. No amplifier can transform the HD800 (even modded) into what it's not. The Teton is at home with the DT880. Amazing stuff - in some respects I like the DT880 more than the HD800 (at about 1/10 the price!). 

Where did the Rag go?

Sold 
biggrin.gif
 Looking for speaker amps for the HE-6 but I've got too many other things on my plate. Might consider the Pass INT30A or INT150 which I know you like a lot.

Apr 12, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #18,033 of 28,992
Aw man.  I've heard a few thing about the Rag that didn't encourage me to buy.  It was also pointless for what I would have used it for.  Yes.  I'm getting the INT-30 in in a week or so.  I'll do a side by side with the INT-150 to see what the differences are is any.  I'm think those Pass amps will go pretty good with the Yggy.    

Apr 12, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #18,034 of 28,992
  Aw man.  I've heard a few thing about the Rag that didn't encourage me to buy.  It was also pointless for what I would have used it for.  Yes.  I'm getting the INT-30 in in a week or so.  I'll do a side by side with the INT-150 to see what the differences are is any.  I'm think those Pass amps will go pretty good with the Yggy.    

That'd be great. I've only got access to the INT30A second hand in Hong Kong so it would be good to know if it is on par with the INT150. 

Turns out I had an extra MHDT Havana v.1 lying around so I can save the $150 on the Modi2.

Apr 12, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #18,035 of 28,992
The reason I'm considering the INT30 is because of the HE1000, it also may pair just as well with the HE800.  The HE1000 or the HD800 don't need as much power as the HE-6 as you well know.  So I'm just trying some schitt out..  

What the plan for the Analog?  I got about 3 or 4 DACs and a BA on my mind right now..  This schitt is crazy 
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #18,036 of 28,992
  The reason I'm considering the INT30 is because of the HE1000, it also may pair just as well with the HE800.  The HE1000 or the HD800 don't need as much power as the HE-6 as you well know.  So I'm just trying some schitt out..  

What the plan for the Analog?  I got about 3 or 4 DACs and a BA on my mind right now..  This schitt is crazy 
biggrin.gif

I am trying to erase the thought of the HE1000 from my memory. The main issue with the HE-6 is really comfort - once I get the headband fixed I'll try to get a 4th (!!!) rig wrapped around that. 

I'll just have to get the Analog fixed and either sell it (at a substantial loss given its repairs) or live with it. It is insanely overpriced but really, darn, good. 

On this note I am rocking out to the MHDT and it is an excellent match with the 4-45 and HD800, the only thing missing is resolution and stage but the immediacy, slam and R2R goodness is all there. Sometimes it is nice to just live with what you have.

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #18,037 of 28,992

EC 4-45 + HD800 combo is best for live acoustic and classical, I like it a lot better than the KGSSHV + SR009 for classical in fact. For anything else, KGSSHV + SR009 is much better. It does boil down to musical and sound preferences.

Do you listen to some Contemporary Jazz :  For example Joshua Redman , Keith Jarret, Youn Sun Nah , European contemporary Jazz , Jose James, Roy Hargrove acoustic stuff ,  Chick Corea Acoustic Stuff , Julian Lage and so on ... ? 

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #18,038 of 28,992

Do you listen to some Contemporary Jazz :  For example Joshua Redman , Keith Jarret, Youn Sun Nah , European contemporary Jazz , Jose James, Roy Hargrove acoustic stuff ,  Chick Corea Acoustic Stuff , Julian Lage and so on ... ? 

Yes I used to listen to a lot of jazz in that category (eg Keith Jarrett, Hargrove and the less intense Chick Corea stuff), but my tastes are shifting towards orchestral works, classical, guitars (think Rodrigo et Gabriela, Al de Meola, Paco de Lucia) and straight pop/rock. I listen to music while I am at work (and my main rig is in the office) so jazz - depending on which type - will either distract me too much (some of the contemporary jazz music is borderline cacophony) or will put me to sleep. For that sort of jazz you like I could only say the 4-45 vs KGSSHV is a real toss up because the e-stats and dynamics sound way too different. On one hand the precision and separation of the HD800 sounds amazing with this genre, but on the other hand will lack the engagement and sheer speed and transients of the SR009. On balance the SR009 will prevail for you, I think.

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #18,039 of 28,992
@lojay : Thks for those impressions . Thise kind of Jazz is my favorite music and I feel like the HD800 is even better for it than for classical .  I heard the SR009 one time  at home in a perfect environment with my Music. Half an hour.. Definitely not enough to have a valuable opinions . just feelings . Indeed, Fast transients of  the Stax are something really special :) but I appreciate them above all for Electronic music I tried.  I felt those transients are a bit too fast to be true for acoustic and especially Jazz music.  Against the SR009 , the HD800 is slighly warmer ( Typical Sennheiser Low mids) too and that match well with Jazz.  the SR009 was driven by an EC Electra and the HD800 by ma DNA Sonett 2. 

I don"t listen so much to Rock/Pop though. If I was fan of those genre, I think the HD800 could not be my sole headphone . Planars convey a kind of raw energy that I always think the HD800 fails to offer. Not to mention stats. 

I loved the SR009 speed and FR though. 
beerchug.gif

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #18,040 of 28,992
I found that with acoustic music of any kind it was very close between the SR009 and the HD800. I really loved the fast transients on the SR009 and thought it worked better than the HD800 on electric music. There is something a little bit ethereal with the highs on the SR009 that you  sometimes hear that is unique to electrostatics, not sure if it is accurate or not but I loved it. But on electric music I still wouldn't say the SR009 was waaaaay better.These headphones sound more alike than different compared to most of the headphones out there. But I like how old Grateful Dead stuff that wasn't recorded particularly well sounds on the HD800 as well as some of the Hi Res remasters of the early Velvet Underground- just for you to calibrate whatever I say...

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #18,041 of 28,992

The Teton is at home with the DT880. Amazing stuff - in some respects I like the DT880 more than the HD800 (at about 1/10 the price!). 

DT880 premium was my first real HP 5 years back, I still have it. Yesterday I was doing some chores around the house so was using the DT880 + DX90 ( haven't listened to the DT880 for a few months). I was lost in the music & suddenly in the middle of doing dishes, I had this conversation with myself :
"What is wrong with this sound ? "
"Ummm....Nothing really"
"Why then did you go through over 15 HP's after this ?"
"Ummm.....don't know.....maybe bcos of Head Fi 
redface.gif
"

Sorry for OT.

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #18,042 of 28,992
@lojay
 : Thks for those impressions . Thise kind of Jazz is my favorite music and I feel like the HD800 is even better for it than for classical .  I heard the SR009 one time  at home in a perfect environment with my Music. Half an hour.. Definitely not enough to have a valuable opinions . just feelings . Indeed, Fast transients of  the Stax are something really special :) but I appreciate them above all for Electronic music I tried.  I felt those transients are a bit too fast to be true for acoustic and especially Jazz music.  Against the SR009 , the HD800 is slighly warmer ( Typical Sennheiser Low mids) too and that match well with Jazz.  the SR009 was driven by an EC Electra and the HD800 by ma DNA Sonett 2. 

I don"t listen so much to Rock/Pop though. If I was fan of those genre, I think the HD800 could not be my sole headphone . Planars convey a kind of raw energy that I always think the HD800 fails to offer. Not to mention stats. 

I loved the SR009 speed and FR though. :beerchug:  
I see what you mean here, that's why I said it will be quite a toss up. The SR009 excels in stuff that requires great intimacy, like jazz vocals (but that's not what you listen to most it seems). SR009 makes everything sound close to mic and hence intimate. The HD800 puts you back a few rows and let's you sense the size of the venue. So the biggest difference as I see it is staging.

Funnily the KGSSHV is much warmer than the 445. Seems like the Electra is typical EC stuff - fast, detailed, bright on the top end and slightly lean. So maybe that is why I say I like the 009 so much.

Still, I use the HD800 more as it is more comfortable and probably better for acoustic instrumentals which I listen to the most (in my case, classical and guitars).

PS I forgot to say: nice taste in music. Would love to revisit contemporary jazz when I have the time. It's like nice Burgundy, more complex but not great for casual drinking. Right now I'm more of a Napa valley guy...

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #18,043 of 28,992
the DT880 is a really great heaphone. Unfortunately I hate it. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #18,044 of 28,992
I see what you mean here, that's why I said it will be quite a toss up. The SR009 excels in stuff that requires great intimacy, like jazz vocals (but that's not what you listen to most it seems). 

You're perfectly right. We forget the greatest point of the SR009 : mids.  that's make the SR009 an absolute great headphones for voices. 

But Indeed, as you finely noticed, I'm not much into vocals 
wink_face.gif

Apr 12, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #18,045 of 28,992
DT880 premium was my first real HP 5 years back, I still have it. Yesterday I was doing some chores around the house so was using the DT880 + DX90 ( haven't listened to the DT880 for a few months). I was lost in the music & suddenly in the middle of doing dishes, I had this conversation with myself :
[COLOR=EE82EE]"What is wrong with this sound ? "[/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF0000]"Ummm....Nothing really"[/COLOR]
[COLOR=EE82EE]"Why then did you go through over 15 HP's after this ?"[/COLOR]
[COLOR=EE82EE]"[/COLOR][COLOR=FF0000]Ummm.....don't know.....maybe bcos of Head Fi[/COLOR][COLOR=EE82EE] [/COLOR]:xf_eek: "

Sorry for OT.
Haha I only discovered what the DT880 could do after driving it with the Teton. So thanks to Head Fi I still needed that $5k amp :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back