The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 12, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #18,061 of 28,992
I was about to get the Vali  based on recommendations on this thread , but this whole "warm and musical" think is making me rethink my decision.
Is there any budget amp that has a neutral type of sound that does not color the sound at all?
Quote:
For amp, the Schiit Vali gives you that more warm and musical sound, but the Valhalla 2 is significantly better in terms of soundstage and resolution, and does add enough warmth to make it non-fatiguing.

For DAC, use anything non-Sabre and good for your price range. Schiit Modi 2 Uber is an example. With the Schiit Wyrd (necessary for HD800 use).

Apr 12, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #18,062 of 28,992

Any other suggestions?  Is there an iDevice / DAC version of the Meier Audio Corda Quickstep that was earlier recommended as an amp?

Thanks!!

From Meier Audio there is not  such device. I use the Ipod Classic last Gen>LOD>Meier Stepdance>HD650/700 every day. This amp has such a nice grip on the headphones, and the Apple LOD is not that bad that I really still love the sound a lot. The Quickstep is the successor of the Stepdance/2Stepdance. Amp wise you will probably not get anything better in that class. And it was tested by several people on HeadFi that the Meiers can not only drive the HD800 but also make them shine.

Apr 12, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #18,064 of 28,992
Apr 12, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #18,065 of 28,992
Yes, Thanks, budget is very limited (150$)
So i it's either the Vali or Magni 2 i guess.
It's just i don't like colored sound, and the Vali is being described as "musical and warm"
On the other hand not many people has tried the Magni 2 with the HD800 so i'm kind of stuck.

Apr 12, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #18,066 of 28,992

It's just i don't like colored sound, and the Vali is being described as "musical and warm"
On the other hand not many people has tried the Magni 2 with the HD800 so i'm kind of stuck.

Buy used. Sell used.

Apr 12, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #18,067 of 28,992

On a budget myself til I get to listen to higher end amps and dacs, I recently bought an Odac and 02. I've mentioned this earlier in the thread.

I'm not over sold on the odac for the hd800s but I've been pleasantly surprised with the O2. I plug my old rotel CD player (mid 1980s) into the O2 and my cds come up very well and alive.

On a budget, I'd buy the 02 again for listening to my cds. Dac wise I don't hear much difference, if any between my fiio x5 dac and the odac.

So I'm guessing, if you're happy with your dac the O2 may be worth considering it at that price.

Just my 2 cents.

Apr 12, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #18,068 of 28,992

All playback systems color the sound in one way or another.
The 'trick' is to find a 'color' that you like.
As the degree of 'quality' of the associated gear goes up the degree of coloration usually is reduced, up to a point.
So to expect a starter system to be uncolored is unrealistic.

And remember you are trying to pair a SotA headphone with starter electronics, this adds an extra degree of complexity to your choices and to the limited range of amounts and types of coloration available.

The Vali's colorations seem to counterbalance the 800's colorations in a compatible way which can work in your favor, as long as you like the end results.
The only way for you to know this is to experience it 1st hand. 

JJ

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #18,070 of 28,992

+1 for Vali loved the duo when I had HD800

Never tried the Magni 2 but I did try it with the Magni 1 and the Vali was by far the better match.

Or if you can, try to find a Matrix M-stage HPA-2 used. It is supposed to be even better than the Vali for the HD800.

http://www.amazon.com/Matrix-M-stage-HPA-2-USB-Headphone/dp/B00H4YUANM

Or the HPA-1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matrix-m-stage-Headphone-Amplifier-Amp-class-A-New-Ver-Ship-From-United-States-/131189280685?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e8b7d8fad

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #18,071 of 28,992
Hello, I will be most likely picking up a pair of HD800's within the next few weeks and am trying to determine some options for either individual dacs and amps to pair or a combo dac/amp. I currently have a Fostex HP-A4 which I use with my TH600's/Sony MDR-Z7, and have been told it should work alright with the HD800's, but would like to upgrade to better match them. What are some good options around the $1000 - max $1500 range (preferred balanced as I'm thinking of picking up a Draug V2 cable around the same time)?

Any suggestions appreciated ^^

Apr 13, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #18,072 of 28,992
  Hello, I will be most likely picking up a pair of HD800's within the next few weeks and am trying to determine some options for either individual dacs and amps to pair or a combo dac/amp. I currently have a Fostex HP-A4 which I use with my TH600's/Sony MDR-Z7, and have been told it should work alright with the HD800's, but would like to upgrade to better match them. What are some good options around the $1000 - max $1500 range (preferred balanced as I'm thinking of picking up a Draug V2 cable around the same time)?

Any suggestions appreciated ^^

Dangerous Music Source with an upgraded LPSU. Around $1500 total. Will drive HD 800 and Denon's/Fostex beautifully. The DAC capabilities of the Source with LPSU puts it a class above the likes of Benchmark DAC2 and Mytek DSD 192, or so I've been told by a few members on different sites. Even at its stock, it's an absolute steal.

Apr 13, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #18,074 of 28,992
What amp from Cavalli is extremely detailed and suits hd800?

The Liquid Gold, Liquid Crimson and Liquid Glass are all marvelous with the HD800's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back