The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 9, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #17,956 of 28,992
Good Portable Amp or DAC/Amp for HD 800?

I'm very satisfied with my HD 800 driven by the HDVD 800, but I want to approach that wonderful sound in something more portable.

I started by considering the HiFiMAN HE-500, then found I MUCH preferred the HE-560, but didn't want to spend $900.

So now I am considering amps in the HE-500 price range (i.e. $500) that work well with the HD 800... or maybe DAC/amp even better.  So that is buying a portable (DAC) / amp rather than a new headphone, and using my HD 800.

Here are candidates I got from searching this thread... any comments or additions?

1. Geek Out 1000
  2. Chord Hugo (WAYYYYY too expensive... drop)
  3. Fostex HP P1
  4. CEntrance HiFi M8
  5. Something from Ray Samuels (e.g., Raptor?)
  6. Aune S16
  7. Carat Topaz
  8. Cayin C5.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #17,957 of 28,992
Perhaps Meier Audio? I think Meier's current portable offering is the Stepdance.

I know the HD 800 is one of the hps Jan Meier recommends - in fact I bought mine from him - and there's a fair chance he designs and tests with it in mind.
But I haven't heard the combination and obviously I'm new to the HD 800 so take it FWIW.

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #17,958 of 28,992
Perhaps Meier Audio? I think Meier's current portable offering is the Stepdance.

I know the HD 800 is one of the hps Jan Meier recommends - in fact I bought mine from him - and there's a fair chance he designs and tests with it in mind.
But I haven't heard the combination and obviously I'm new to the HD 800 so take it FWIW.

I can find a Meier Corda PC Step and a Quick Step on the Meier site.  I see "Stepdance" mentioned in some reviews, but cannot find a vendor description of it.

Same as the PC Step?

Thanks!

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #17,959 of 28,992
I'm trying to make some custom cables for a friends HD800 - and damn, these large barrel connectors cost an arm and a leg to ship to Canada.  Double Helix, Norne Audio and ALO Music charge $30USD for shipping. 

Other than eBay - where else can i grab HD800 connectors where shipping isnt that bad? 

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #17,960 of 28,992

I'm very satisfied with my HD 800 driven by the HDVD 800, but I want to approach that wonderful sound in something more portable.

I started by considering the HiFiMAN HE-500, then found I MUCH preferred the HE-560, but didn't want to spend $900.

So now I am considering amps in the HE-500 price range (i.e. $500) that work well with the HD 800... or maybe DAC/amp even better.  So that is buying a portable (DAC) / amp rather than a new headphone, and using my HD 800.

Here are candidates I got from searching this thread... any comments or additions?

1. Geek Out 1000
  3. Fostex HP P1
  4. CEntrance HiFi M8
  6. Aune S16
  7. Carat Topaz
  8. Cayin C5.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Concero HP is my recommendation.

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #17,961 of 28,992
Sorry! It's the QuickStep I meant. There's a thread about it around here. Introduced in 2012 it seems to have a strong following. Lot of posts to wade through though :eek:

I can find a Meier Corda PC Step and a Quick Step on the Meier site.  I see "Stepdance" mentioned in some reviews, but cannot find a vendor description of it.

Same as the PC Step?

Thanks!

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #17,962 of 28,992
I have tried the Meier Quickstep with HD800, was not happy with the sound. Sounded lean. I have also tried the Classic with HD800, too neutral for my liking, mids lacked some weight & bodyIMO.

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #17,963 of 28,992
Actually, I used the HP P1 as a DAC & added a Stepdance to the "stack" to use as the amp.While the HP P1 could be used by itself I really didn't think it's amp section worked as well as the Stepdance did.

This was quite a few years ago as I don't think the Stepdance is being produced anymore !

(I no longer use portable audio but it's interesting that some of you would consider using your HD800 in a portable rig. It's "doable"I suppose; I couldn't live without using my Metrum Hex DAC everywhere so it's a no go for myself, but I'm an "Old Geezer" !)

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #17,964 of 28,992
^ Oh that sounds disappointing. I will look out for this when I get round to hooking up my Classic. Meier does indeed make neutrality one of his primary design goals I understand...

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #17,965 of 28,992

1. Geek Out 1000
  3. Fostex HP P1
  4. CEntrance HiFi M8
  6. Aune S16
  7. Carat Topaz
  8. Cayin C5.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

The Dragonfly v1.2 powers the HD800s quite well.

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #17,966 of 28,992
I don't know if I'd be so quick to discount the Classic , it might be just fine if the DAC you're using is up to the task of providing some
tonal weight !

I know my thoughts on what kind of headphone amp I needed changed when I started using the DAC I'm using ! (but, to be honest, I'm
using a pretty expensive DAC so the old YMMV is definitely in play here !)

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #17,968 of 28,992
@Punit :  What's you amp of choice for your HD800 ?  Indeed the Meier gear is slightly on the lean side.  I associated the daccord with my Sonett and the Jazz with a Rega dac .. never tried the stack yet. 

For music.. Indeed acoustic , non amplified instruments are the best to evaluate the fidely but Electronic music are really a good test for audio equipment. some EDM ( for example what I linked a few post above) use massively small sounds , complex sound textures, sub bass sutleties, ambiances, layering.  if those subtleties are not perfectly reproduced , the music lose all its savour.

Classical and Electronic are the two music I definitely can't listen with average headphones. 

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #17,969 of 28,992
  For music.. Indeed acoustic , non amplified instruments are the best to evaluate the fidely but Electronic music are really a good test for audio equipment. some EDM ( for example what I linked a few post above) use massively small sounds , complex sound textures, sub bass sutleties, ambiances, layering.  if those subtleties are not perfectly reproduced , the music lose all its savour.

The problem is that if you can't hear them, you can't tell if these subtleties are missing in the source material or if your gear doesn't reproduce them - unless you have a reference platform.

Acoustic music has the advantage that with some training one knows what to expect, as experience of  live performances can determine these expectations to a large degree.

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #17,970 of 28,992

The problem is that if you can't hear them, you can't tell if these subtleties are missing in the source material or if your gear doesn't reproduce them - unless you have a reference platform.

If we're talking about accuracy that's perfectly right. but that wasn't my point. 

Electronic Music are like drugs. we all know it's artificial but what we look for is to be overwhelmed by the music. The reference point is our own artificial pleasure not the real life. And I'm really picky when it comes to my personal pleasure.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back