The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 19, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #12,241 of 29,017
Nice impressions ^^^ keep us informed, especially if you get to audition the 1030 with HD800. I want to know if the amp section is any good as well as the dac. 

Jul 19, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #12,242 of 29,017
For me, I treat cables as another component in the reproduction chain, along with isolation, and dampening (in the case of tubed amplification), and balanced power, amongst others, in the same camp.

I agree, the stock cable really is pretty decent. If you needed to replace the stock cable for any reason, I'd check out some alternate options. Not because mine broke or were worn out, but just because I wanted to try something else, I'm really enjoying the HD800's better with Alex's WyWire Red headphone cables. The WyWire Red headphone cable contributes to my overall music kit with much improved sound-staging, midrange body, and pure, extended bass. All traces of upper treble glare and stridency were resolved with the Red cable. 

That sounds awesome and a nice helpful testimony given on your part. The cable replacement is the only thing left I have to do in my sound chain, but its for the purposes as you said: difference. :wink:
I'm looking at maybe getting a toxic cable (copper venom.) that might add some difference.

Jul 19, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #12,243 of 29,017
+1....incredible cd

I should get my new dac today after work....this is one of the recording that I will be listening too.....along with some Pink Floyd.

Excelleb
My new dac has arrived.

Excellent. Just excellent. Make sure you run the ALIEN 3 soundtrack through that. Happy listening. :)

Jul 19, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #12,244 of 29,017
Excelleb
Excellent. Just excellent. Make sure you run the ALIEN 3 soundtrack through that. Happy listening. :)

There is a new "Japanese" release of Brothers in Arms that sounds fantastic. 

You know what the thing is about that dire straits album is? It's a phenomenal recording. Bob Ludwig's mastering is sublime.

Jul 19, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #12,245 of 29,017
Yape I don't think the hd800 stock cable is bad. I still use the stock cable but probably will get shorten or buy 4 ft balanced cable from plussound.

One thing I noticed is the grado cables.
I had sr80i and replaced with diy my own mogami quad cable and noticed the difference.

That's just one example that I can share with you where the stock cable isn't that good.

I can be wrong but grado cables are cheap I think.

Anyone has the spec on grado cables?

All I can say is that the Grado extension cable is excellent. You lose no sound and are free from distortion all together. It's a great buy and certainly the best for the cash. 35$ only!

Also. I'd love to know if the the stock cable on the 800 shortened With XLR will make a difference. Love to hear your findings. It will certainly add more GAIN that's for sure. Happy listening. :)

Jul 19, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #12,246 of 29,017
Amen to that!!  :bigsmile_face:

If you really find the right cable to pair with your sound chain with regards to the HD 800's being the generals of your rig, you may at the very most get a 5% increase in sound quality. That's it. And it would cost you a g-note. :frowning2:

Jul 19, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #12,247 of 29,017
Is the Hugo good enough for yall?
basshead.gif
  Got one on me now.  
biggrin.gif

Jul 19, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #12,248 of 29,017
  Is the Hugo good enough for yall?
basshead.gif
  Got one on me now.  
biggrin.gif

jude of head-fi.org speaks highly of the Hugo Chord's ability to drive the HD800.

Jul 19, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #12,249 of 29,017
Congrats on the new source Se! Please give us a brief compare and contrast between the Hugo and your odac when time permits. From the FS forum, it also looks like you have a gamma 2 on hand. I'm curious how you'd rank that in there as well - since I know there are some in the dac review threads who actually place the AMB dac on top out of those three.

Jul 19, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #12,250 of 29,017
I haven't started doing A/B yet, but I hear more resolution with the Hugo.  I sounds more laid back than the ODAC, but at the same time it has much thinner treble making it sound more resolving.  Could be placebo, but I hear more definitions. The horn sound is more defined it seems.  Kind of Blue, is excellet to test definitions.   Definitions make the sound more accurate as if you lose it, it will not sound realistic.

One example is my CIEM cannot define like the HD800 so certain sounds are just not as accurate because of the lack out definition that the CIEM is capable of.  I am ware of limitations of iems even without mention of sound stage.

Anyway, our impressions change from day to day, and I will do more direct comparisons, so I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Jul 19, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #12,251 of 29,017
^ gratz and sorry for your wallet. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #12,252 of 29,017
I haven't started doing A/B yet, but I hear more resolution with the Hugo.  I sounds more laid back than the ODAC, but at the same time it has much thinner treble making it sound more resolving.  Could be placebo, but I hear more definitions. The horn sound is more defined it seems.  Kind of Blue, is excellet to test definitions.   Definitions make the sound more accurate as if you lose it, it will not sound realistic.

One example is my CIEM cannot define like the HD800 so certain sounds are just not as accurate because of the lack out definition that the CIEM is capable of.  I am ware of limitations of iems even without mention of sound stage.

Anyway, our impressions change from day to day, and I will do more direct comparisons, so I'll let you all know how it turns out.

I find that better DAC/source can help the hd800 treble by reducing splashyness or smear. With my pair and associated equipment, I still need Anax mod 2.0 but this would probably harm resale if adhesive residue is left. Still not 100% happy with the treble (definition/extension) from my system though, but I don't think the headphones are the limiting factor.

Jul 20, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #12,253 of 29,017
I find that better DAC/source can help the hd800 treble by reducing splashyness or smear. With my pair and associated equipment, I still need Anax mod 2.0 but this would probably harm resale if adhesive residue is left. Still not 100% happy with the treble from my system though, but I don't think the headphones are the limiting factor.

You can look for less treble offensive source, but I'm feel that it's characteristic is the treble region bump which pushes lots of details of course in the dominating tonality in that region of the spectrum.  I really appreciate it's treble bump for the better mastering if you look at their compression, they are nowhere near clipping level compared to poor masters.  It just can't be subtle with compressed recordings because it's FR.  I just face it as it's characteristics.  Of course if you listen to tracks that are heavily compressed for a duration, your ears will adjust to them.  

I will say this though, the details are defined will, and right now think Hugo better defines it.  I'm guessing because of combination of treble bump and low distortion.  I'm afraid the damping mod will help with compressed recordings, but at the same time the better recordings may suffer with less resolving as a result of the mod.

Jul 20, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #12,254 of 29,017
Let's look at a heavily compressed file vs not so heavily compressed(red section is clipping areas).  If you look at the heavily compressed file, all frequencies looks to be peak and some peaked to clipping or distortion.  If you look at the not so compressed on the voltage output(or loudness) varies quite a bit, and the harsh treble will not be push so much(not to the high level and output only rarely) like the compressed files.

Jul 20, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #12,255 of 29,017
You can look for less treble offensive source, but I'm feel that it's characteristic is the treble region bump which pushes lots of details of course in the dominating tonality in that region of the spectrum.  I really appreciate it's treble bump for the better mastering if you look at their compression, they are nowhere near clipping level compared to poor masters.  It just can't be subtle with compressed recordings because it's FR.  I just face it as it's characteristics.  Of course if you listen to tracks that are heavily compressed for a duration, your ears will adjust to them.  

I will say this though, the details are defined will, and right now think Hugo better defines it.  I'm guessing because of combination of treble bump and low distortion.  I'm afraid the damping mod will help with compressed recordings, but at the same time the better recordings may suffer with less resolving as a result of the mod.

True, the Anax mod v2, as I noted earlier, improves treble linearity but reduces bass linearity. If I weren't superstitious about DSP I would use EQ, and might do this in the future when I have time to cut another Anax mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back