The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 18, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #12,226 of 29,017
I just had the opportunity to listen to some HD800.  I don't have any experience with open back headphones, having never owned any.  I have tested out the AKG-702 and 712 but it was in a noisy music store so it probably didn't let me hear the details and soundstage very well.  Even so the ethereal nature of the sound was almost magical.

But WOW, the HD800 is probably the most amazing thing I have put on my head.  It was I pulled down down a background like in a cartoon and it was a jazz ensemble.  The feeling of airiness and detail and expanse is something I have never experienced before.  Even the ergonomics of the headphones seemed to help.  The cups were not tight around my ear (no part of my ear felt like the headphone was touched by it) and so it just felt like I was adding this layer of sound.  

Of course the HD800's are some of the pricier headphones out there.  1500 bucks in Canada.  I also tried the HD600 and HD650.  Both lacked the same level of detail and airiness and the phones themselves felt more enclosing physically.  To me the AKG-702/712 physically felt more like the HD800 although sonically I am sure they were lacking SQ wise.  All the Senns were plugged into a  TEAC UD-H01 which sounded pretty good for a 250 dollar amp.  Although I have found personally I am less sensitive to amp/DAC sounds once you get ones that are not garbage.

I have read that that HD800 has a great soundstage - is it abnormally great?  Are there any other phones that come close to the sound (but not the price)?

Anyways at least now I have something to strive for.  

Jul 18, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #12,227 of 29,017
The sound is pretty unique and no, nothing I have heard except maybe the 009 cones close to the sound quality and signature. The HE-6 is a little bit similar but is incredibly hard to drive and IMO inferior to the HD800.

Jul 18, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #12,228 of 29,017
The sound is pretty unique and no, nothing I have heard except maybe the 009 cones close to the sound quality and signature. The HE-6 is a little bit similar but is incredibly hard to drive and IMO inferior to the HD800.

+1  ...except for the HE-6 being inferior to HD800.

Jul 18, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #12,229 of 29,017
  Just wanted to put this out there: but for those of you (like me) who find the HD800's too bright, even with the Anax 2.0 mod, can try to put a doggie pad (from mr speakers) behind the dust covers.  It's really tamed the sibilance issues I had (in my current setup - HT claro - coax - NAD M51 - dual CMA800R).  I'm really digging the sound now - it's tied or possibly even surpassed my previous favorite, the HE-6's (on a SuSy Dynahi). 

HD800 doesn't have sibilance issues.  Some of us are just more sensitive to the high frequencies while others are not.  I personally don't find the HD800 to be too bright at all.  Source and up stream components are often major factors/causes since the HD800 is pretty transparent.

Jul 18, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #12,230 of 29,017

HD800 doesn't have sibilance issues.  Some of us are just more sensitive to the high frequencies while others are not.  I personally don't find the HD800 to be too bright at all.  Source and up stream components are often major factors/causes since the HD800 is pretty transparent.

I couldn't agree more.  When I had the EF-6 I never had any issues with the highs on the HD800.  After I changed to the CMA800R, that's when listening to the HD800's became painful to me.  The problem with the EF-6 was that the sound stage seemed collapsed to me. I just wanted people to know of another very easy and, more importantly, very easily removed mod for the HD800's if they had any issues with the highs. Of course YMMV, etc. 

Jul 18, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #12,232 of 29,017
I do find the HD800 to be a bit bright, albeit not harsh. Even with the extremely rolled-off treble WA3 at times I still find the treble to be bothersome, but fortunately the HDVA600 does the trick for me in taming the treble of the HD800.

The problem is I now find it going too far the other way around. There's no 'attack' or 'aggression', I hope getting an aggressive DAC would fix this, otherwise I'd have to get the BHA-1 as well to add some listening option.

Jul 18, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #12,233 of 29,017
The problem is I now find it going too far the other way around. There's no 'attack' or 'aggression', I hope getting an aggressive DAC would fix this, otherwise I'd have to get the BHA-1 as well to add some listening option.

I think the BHA-1 plays well with the HD 800.

Jul 18, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #12,234 of 29,017
Have you guys tried tone test on your headphones to see if there is imbalance as the sweep gets to treble frequencies?  I notice with mine.  The loudness will go back and forth from left and right at the high frequencies.  This means my headphones isn't perfectly balanced.  I guess high frequencies are the hardest to balance.

Jul 18, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #12,235 of 29,017
+1  ...except for the HE-6 being inferior to HD800.

+2, musically I enjoy a lot with he6. Its a great headphone IMO.

But I still like hd800.

Jul 18, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #12,236 of 29,017
Repost from GS-X thread

--

The view over my right arm cushion (with added lighting to get a decent shot):

21diccl.jpg

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #12,237 of 29,017
Wow that HeadAmp looks very slick. I hope one day I'd get there 
biggrin.gif

Jul 19, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #12,239 of 29,017

Sadly there seem to be no Emotiva retailer here in NZ. With these prices, which one do you think is the better deal? (added Benchmark DAC1 to the list)

NAD D1050 - $800
Arcam irDAC - $900
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC - $1,000
Benchmark DAC1 USB - $900

Just catching up on posts here (been on hols :)

I would seriously stay clear of the MF as it is very overpriced. A V-dac II and upgraded psu will get you the same quality - which IS great quality for the price.

I'm also torn between the NAD and new Arcam... The NAD has the added hp amplifier and I'm keep reading good reports of it. I have two Arcam dacs, the old classic Black box and the Rdac. Both are very impressive for the price. Both have a meaty bottom end and natural tone, with the Rdac winning with it's finesse and speed. (but there is 20 years between them) From what I've read the irDac is cleaner sounding with no bass hump but better extension. 

All NAD products IME are high end on a budget. That's what they are famous for. Corners are cut on externals but the insides are very well made. They do have a house sound - slightly warm and natural sounding- no added light. Perfect for the HD800?  

Jul 19, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #12,240 of 29,017
Not sure about the NAD, but I've just auditioned the Arcam irDAC and the MF M1DAC today, and IMO the irDAC wins (by a slight margin). The M1DAC does have a more forward presentation, but it sounds a bit unbalanced IMO. The bass sounds weaker and at the same time, not as controlled compared to the Arcam. The mids of the Arcam sounds thicker, which to me gives it a more 'fun' and enjoyable character. The highs of the Arcam, while not as forward as the M1DAC, sounds much cleaner to me. The M1DAC's treble sounds a bit harsher sometimes. Regarding soundstage, while the M1DAC does have a more '3-dimensional presentation', the Arcam's soundstaging sounds more natural to me.

While the M1DAC does come with balanced outs, to be honest I can't distinguish any difference balanced input makes on an amp (was using an HDVA600, with CH800S balanced cable). The sound gets louder with balanced input, but that's about it. When I match the volume, I can't hear any difference between XLR-in and RCA-in at all. So in the end, I think I'd prefer the Arcam irDAC to the M1DAC. But there's still the Benchmark DAC1-USB to be auditioned, and the NAD D1050, so I'm not rushing into any decision.

PS: The Arcam irDAC can be used as a (decent?) USB-COAX converter, which I guess could come in handy if I decide to upgrade my DAC in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back