The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 21, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #12,272 of 29,017

I'm considering getting a used Benchmark DAC1 and use it as a DAC/amp since i cant afford an aditional amp, could you please tell me how is the sound with the HD800 plugged in to the The DAC1?

Honestly I don't think it's a bad pairing at all. I didn't do an extensive comparison but compared to the (SE-out) HDVA600, soundstage is cramped and quite upfront, makes the presentation of the HD800 a bit in-your-face like a Grado. The mids is a bit harsh and grainy, and even though its instrument separation is actually quite decent, because the soundstage is very small I find it hard to focus on specific instrument. Though keep in mind that it leans more towards the bright side. YMMV, but IMO for a dac/amp combo, especially for the price I got it for ($800 USD new - USB version), it's a good deal. 

To put it in a context, if I need to travel out of town for an extended period of time and I want to bring small piece of gear with me, I'd happily bring only the DAC1 (and a laptop of course) to drive the HD800.

edit: forgot to mention, the DAC1 does sound a bit dry and thin though.

Jul 21, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #12,274 of 29,017
  Holy Sennheiser! Listening to Rush -Tom Sawyer, The Big Money etc on the Crack+800. Huge soundstage with the deepest low end that I have yet heard with this combo. As an aside, I now have three tube amps/hybrids in my office just for the 800 - the Crack, the Lyr and the ZD. 

I don't have the same setup but I agree with you - just about everything on "Moving Pictures" sounds great with the HD800's, maybe with the exception of "Red Barchetta".

I've had the Crack since Christmas (a gift) but haven't found the time to put it together yet.  I only seem to hear good things about it though.

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #12,275 of 29,017
I just bought : The Essential Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble 2cd set....that has been digitally remastered from the original material....I do not like all remasters....but this is just kick ***** good on the HD800.

I highly recommend this if you are a fan of SRV  
smile.gif

Jul 21, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #12,276 of 29,017
  I just bought : The Essential Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble 2cd set....that has been digitally remastered from the original material....I do not like all remasters....but this is just kick ***** good on the HD800.

I highly recommend this if you are a fan of SRV  
smile.gif

I picked up the same set about a month ago!  It's great!

Jul 21, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #12,277 of 29,017
So far my favourite artists, artists that IMO makes the HD800 sound its absolute best are Diana Krall and Norah Jones. I just couldn't believe what I'm hearing when playing these 2 artists!

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #12,278 of 29,017
So far my favourite artists, artists that IMO makes the HD800 sound its absolute best are Diana Krall and Norah Jones. I just couldn't believe what I'm hearing when playing these 2 artists!

I also enjoy Krall and Jones a lot with my HD800 from the wa22.

However, the one album I really love on the HD800 like no others is Janis Ian's Breaking Silence. Wonderful vocal and impressive instrument timbre rendition by HD800 that my other headphones just can't match.

Janis+Ian+-+Breaking+Silence+-+180gm+-+LP+RECORD-399217.jpg

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #12,283 of 29,017
  My HD 800s are finally here and both my wallet and ears are in shock. Its been a long and expensive journey. Time to enjoy some music.

Gratzzz.  I didn't know you got the Emo DAC.  It's a great DAC.  When your system is complete, we'll meet up for some good music.

Jul 22, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #12,284 of 29,017
Question/advice needed:

I've sold my bifrost and now have enough money for either the HA-1 or a used NAD m51. Currently I have the Crack amp with the 800 and like the sound of it. 

I curious about the HA-1 and also about going balanced with the 800. So should I upgrade the source with the NAD or go with HA-1 with the Sabre dac?

Jul 22, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #12,285 of 29,017
I'd get the NAD personally, because the HA-1 is best if used just as a single unit, not just a DAC or just an amp. For those purposes a dedicated unit would be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back