The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 2, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #9,751 of 29,010
Apr 2, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #9,752 of 29,010

HD800 is better in detail retrieval and depth presentation by far, IMHO, FWIW, m2c, GFY, etc. Also hits with more impact in the lower bass (depending upon amp). HD800 allows one to use SET amps if one likes that sound (although Frank Cooter did once make a great SET electrostatic amp, I doubt such will ever enter commercial production.) SR009 tonal response, transient response, speed, and cleanness (low distortion) is better than HD800. Pick your poison.

What are some good SET amps for the HD800?

Decware CSP3+ is great....You can pick up a CSP2+ for under $1000 if you keep an eye out.

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #9,753 of 29,010

I always read that the STAX SR-009 is better than HD800 , i wonder in what way are they better, and how much in % are they better?

At this level, I believe no phones is a complete improvement over another. Unlike what the T1 is to the DT880, The SR-009 may be a better overall cans, but there might still be some areas where the HD800 have the upper hand (Soundstage and maybe, detail retrieval?)

The main upper hand they have is that they don't need a $5000 amp to sound fantastic IMO.
smile.gif

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #9,754 of 29,010
What do you use as a portable now?

HD595 - not the greatest because its not closed but either was the 650. I want to get the LCDXC and i plan on selling my T1 but i don't know yet whether i will get the LCDXC or upgrade my DAC. I probably need the DAC more than the headphone. When this DNA Stratus comes in my lowly ole RDAC wont cut the mustard.  
  HD800 is better in detail retrieval and depth presentation by far, IMHO, FWIW, m2c, GFY, etc. Also hits with more impact in the lower bass (depending upon amp). HD800 allows one to use SET amps if one likes that sound (although Frank Cooter did once make a great SET electrostatic amp, I doubt such will ever enter commercial production.) SR009 tonal response, transient response, speed, and cleanness (low distortion) is better than HD800. Pick your poison.

Here is a question i asked in the DNA thread ¬

Just as a matter of interest -has anyone heard the BHSE/009 and DNA/HD800 side by side
for a lengthy period of time and come out preferring the DNA/HD800?

maybe you could say considering you heard both. I think you spend a bit of time with the Stratus yourself? 

Thanks 

Paddy

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #9,755 of 29,010
I've never heard the SR-009 myself but reading through the pages here on head-fi it seems there are some who have gone from HD800 to SR-009, and others who have gone from SR-009 to HD800. Then there are others who prefers orthos to both of those.

I think one of the most important thing to realize during your head-fi journey is that headphones are just like cars. There really is no "best car", there are cars that are better than others, and there are cars that do some things better than others, but there really is no "best" overall car. Although there are some cars who are utter dogs though.

Then there are people who are perfectly happy to have an average middle prized car and it gets them from A to B and makes them happy. Then there are others who keep changing from Ferrari to Maserati to Aston Martin each year and who never are happy, or maybe they are just curious and like to change things up a bit?

Personally I know I prefer my HD800 to the LCD-2/3, and that's not because I think they are worse, they're just different. I would love to try the SR-009 to see what all the fuzz is about though
rolleyes.gif

Right now I'm keeping my eyes on the HE-560. If it's anything like the HE-500 but with lower weight, better comfort etc I think it could be a potential giant slayer.

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #9,756 of 29,010

How difficult was it to put together?  I received on as a gift this past Christmas but haven't had a chance to build it yet.  I'm very curious to hear how it pairs with the 800's.

It's definitely worth the price of admission. I tool around all the time on cars, but hadn't picked up a soldering iron in a decade and was able to get the whole thing done in about two days with minimal difficulty. Absolutely more fun than it was frustrating and it sounds pretty good. It's an easy recommendation for me.

Apr 2, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #9,757 of 29,010
I had picked up an iron only once (to make an extension cable) before attempting my crack and had no issues.  Just make sure you have some decent leaded rosin core solder and then take a few minutes to watch a youtube video or two on basic soldering.  You will be good to go.  Point to point is really easy.  Before attempting the speedball, watch another video on through hole soldering.

If you like OTL amps, the crack really is damn good with hd800's, notwithstanding its modest price (assuming you find a tube complement that fits your preferences).  There's a reason innerfidelity, headphonia, and guttenberg all recommend it as a great budget pairing with hd800's and that Tyll added it to his wall of fame.  The crack isn't the last word in detail but is still quite a bit more detailed, dynamic and punchy than many other OTL's (i.e. Woos).  As has been noted a time or two in the past, since Woo and most other OTL's don't load their tubes with constant current, the crack with speedball is a more sophisticated circuit.  Having the space in the enclosure to throw in a pair of fat film output caps with low ESR and dissipation factor is the icing on the cake.  (Fancy/slim aluminum cases have their appeal, but most aren't designed to accommodate caps of this size, and the output caps in OTL's are the final component in the signal path and definitely impact the sound.)

Crack isn't quite in the same league with the big boys (e.g. mainline, zana, etc.), but to my ears, it betters many higher price commercial options that are frequently recommended for high impedance phones.

Apr 2, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #9,758 of 29,010
  I had picked up an iron only once (to make an extension cable) before attempting my crack and had no issues.  Just make sure you have some decent leaded rosin core solder and then take a few minutes to watch a youtube video or two on basic soldering.  You will be good to go.  Point to point is really easy.  Before attempting the speedball, watch another video on through hole soldering.

If you like OTL amps, the crack really is damn good with hd800's, notwithstanding its modest price (assuming you find a tube complement that fits your preferences).  There's a reason innerfidelity, headphonia, and guttenberg all recommend it as a great budget pairing with hd800's and that Tyll added it to his wall of fame.  The crack isn't the last word in detail but is still quite a bit more detailed, dynamic and punchy than many other OTL's (i.e. Woos).  As has been noted a time or two in the past, since Woo and most other OTL's don't load their tubes with constant current, the crack with speedball is a more sophisticated circuit.  Having the space in the enclosure to throw in a pair of fat film output caps with low ESR and dissipation factor is the icing on the cake.  (Fancy/slim aluminum cases have their appeal, but most aren't designed to accommodate caps of this size, and the output caps in OTL's are the final component in the signal path and definitely impact the sound.)

Crack isn't quite in the same league with the big boys (e.g. mainline, zana, etc.), but to my ears, it betters many higher price commercial options that are frequently recommended for high impedance phones.

What's the mainline like compared to your modded crack? Or the zana if you've heard it?

Also - what's the main difference in sound character between OTL and SET really? I really haven't heard enough tube amps to know.

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #9,759 of 29,010
  It's definitely worth the price of admission. I tool around all the time on cars, but hadn't picked up a soldering iron in a decade and was able to get the whole thing done in about two days with minimal difficulty. Absolutely more fun than it was frustrating and it sounds pretty good. It's an easy recommendation for me.

Thanks for the feedback - hopefully work will calm down enough in the near term for me to sit down and get that thing put together!

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #9,760 of 29,010
I always read that the STAX SR-009 is better than HD800 , i wonder in what way are they better, and how much in % are they better?

I have both and I would say that the SR-009 is the better sounding headphone, but not by a whole lot. I would say an HD-800 is 90% of an SR-009. And given the cost, the HD-800 is much better value, especially since you need an electrostatic amp for the SR-009. The HD800 has better imaging, a larger soundstage and is more comfortable. I think that anyone here who really likes the HD-800 will really like the SR-009 as well, they both sound great on pretty much all genres and have a similar tonal balance.

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #9,761 of 29,010

I have both and I would say that the SR-009 is the better sounding headphone, but not by a whole lot. I would say an HD-800 is 90% of an SR-009. And given the cost, the HD-800 is much better value, especially since you need an electrostatic amp for the SR-009. The HD800 has better imaging, a larger soundstage and is more comfortable. I think that anyone here who really likes the HD-800 will really like the SR-009 as well, they both sound great on pretty much all genres and have a similar tonal balance.

Do you use the cavalli to run the HD800's? 

Apr 2, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #9,762 of 29,010

I really like HD800s, and think SR-009s are great headphones, but my priorities are such that they align with the 009s' faults, so they aren't headphones I am personally fond of, but I can see why some would be.

Apr 2, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #9,763 of 29,010
I really like HD800s, and think SR-009s are great headphones, but my priorities are such that they align with the 009s' faults, so they aren't headphones I am personally fond of, but I can see why some would be.

I'm looking forward to finishing off my HD800 rig - when i get the Stratus and a good DAC maybe the new Schiit or the AGDM7 i will be a very happy person indeed. 

A fellow headfier who lives near me just acquired the Sennheiser Orpheus and he uses a Dubiel Accoustics Eurydice electrostatic amp to power them. I might bring my DNA/HD800 down when i get it and do some comparisons. Another headfier has 009/BHSE and has invited me to his house for a listening session in the summer. 

It will be interesting to hear these 3 rigs, i just hope i don't start to prefer any of them to my own 
frown.gif
 - that is usually what happens with me and guitar hunting, so it is likely to occur here, you know, you always want what you don't have. 

Apr 2, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #9,764 of 29,010

May I ask what are those priorities of yours that align with the 009's faults? I'm guessing one of them is comfort?

Apr 2, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #9,765 of 29,010

May I ask what are those priorities of yours that align with the 009's faults? I'm guessing one of them is comfort?

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back