The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 1, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #9,736 of 29,010
anyone have driect experience using the Chord Hugo with hd800.
this Hugo looks very interesting the type of product Ive been waiting for for a long time,

anyone have any feeback?

I thought it sounded good, but not great. There is a lot of tech packed into a small box, but it didn't seem to drive HD800s as well as I'm used to, from desktop gear. I think a desktop setup of separates totaling the price of the Hugo out-performs it quite easily. If you need a transportable rig, it would do a good job, but don't expect perfection. I also was not thrilled by the construction. It's basically a PCB inside a poorly fitting, cheap feeling plastic shell, with gimmicky lights and volume controls.

I'd never bother with a transportable rig consisting of HD800s and a Hugo and a laptop/tablet/DAP. I'd have a pair of custom IEMs straight into a phone or DAP; small, light, easy to pack, blocks out noise.

Apr 1, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #9,737 of 29,010
Put together a Bottlehead Crack this past weekend. Wasn't expecting much out of it and that's I thought it would be a fun project vs it being an effective amp. I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised with the result of pairing it with the HD 800. Warms it up and darkens it quite a bit, so people who prefer that signature would be happy, I think. My preference is for a lot less coloration, but the majority of my equipment is aimed at keeping things fairly neutral, so I think I'm going to keep modifying the Crack for even more warmth just so I have something different. We'll see what happens through the Speedball upgrade and tube rolling. Out of all the cans I ran on it, the HD 800 definitely felt like it paired the best, so thumbs up on that combination.

Apr 1, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #9,738 of 29,010
  Put together a Bottlehead Crack this past weekend. Wasn't expecting much out of it and that's I thought it would be a fun project vs it being an effective amp. I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised with the result of pairing it with the HD 800. Warms it up and darkens it quite a bit, so people who prefer that signature would be happy, I think. My preference is for a lot less coloration, but the majority of my equipment is aimed at keeping things fairly neutral, so I think I'm going to keep modifying the Crack for even more warmth just so I have something different. We'll see what happens through the Speedball upgrade and tube rolling. Out of all the cans I ran on it, the HD 800 definitely felt like it paired the best, so thumbs up on that combination.

How difficult was it to put together?  I received on as a gift this past Christmas but haven't had a chance to build it yet.  I'm very curious to hear how it pairs with the 800's.

Apr 1, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #9,739 of 29,010
I thought it sounded good, but not great. There is a lot of tech packed into a small box, but it didn't seem to drive HD800s as well as I'm used to, from desktop gear. I think a desktop setup of separates totaling the price of the Hugo out-performs it quite easily. If you need a transportable rig, it would do a good job, but don't expect perfection. I also was not thrilled by the construction. It's basically a PCB inside a poorly fitting, cheap feeling plastic shell, with gimmicky lights and volume controls.

I'd never bother with a transportable rig consisting of HD800s and a Hugo and a laptop/tablet/DAP. I'd have a pair of custom IEMs straight into a phone or DAP; small, light, easy to pack, blocks out noise.

what you said kind of put things into perspective and brought me back to senses. I been researching this thing all morning but had to rethink what I'd get out of something that's mainly designed for portability (which I don't need). I definately wouldn't take the hd800 anywhere outside my home, I'd would just go with my IEMs/Colorfly c4 Dap on the road.

I'm liquidating alot of stuff in order to buy some new things but I guess I should look at the application I need them for a little better. Im still in search of that perfect amp/dac to put in front of the hd800.

Apr 1, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #9,740 of 29,010
  anyone have driect experience using the Chord Hugo with hd800.
this Hugo looks very interesting the type of product Ive been waiting for for a long time,

anyone have any feeback?

my reaction is similar to Maxvla's though I would separate DAC performance from the headphone amplifier. I though the DAC was pretty good, competitive with my Lavry DA11.  The headphone amplifier though definitive was a step down the Headamp GS-X mk2.  I didn't do blind A/B tests, but based on a lot of past listening I would say the headphone amplifier built into my DA11 and a number of headphone amplifiers including the Headamp's Pico Power were better than the Hugo.

Compared to one of the more popular portable options, the HiFi-M8, the Hugo's DAC is significantly better than the DAC with the amplifier seemed to be a bit better than the HiFi-M8.  I wrote a bit about doing an A/B against the HiFi-M8 in the Chord thread.

You could get a better desktop DAC for the cost of the Hugo.  You could even get a better desktop DAC and have enough money to purchase something like the HiFi-M8.

If you have unlimited cash, or mostly listen to your HD800 in more than one fixed location the Hugo would be a good option.

For real portability you would be better off with custom IEM from a phone or DAP, but I understand the value of HD800 which can be transported between different rooms at home or the office, and for this, the Hugo is the best thing going today.  If the amplifier was better I would have sold my GS-Xmk2 and HiFi-M8 and made the Hugo my sole headphone solution.  Alas, that's not the case, so rather than using my money for the best combo product (good DAC that's portable) I am going to pick up the a better DAC value which makes the HD800 shine which feeds into a desktop headphone amp which is the very best to my ears, and settle for slightly less sound quality when transporting the HD800 around the house and continue to use the HiFi-M8.

--mark

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #9,741 of 29,010
I wonder if anyone has ever tried to mod the HD800 to be a closed set of cans? Then I would understand all this talk about portable dacs and the HD800 better.

Strange question I know, just curious... what it would sound like... no I'm not going to do it...
rolleyes.gif

I guess cupping your hands around the outside while wearing them gives a pretty good approximation.

Apr 1, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #9,742 of 29,010
  I wonder if anyone has ever tried to mod the HD800 to be a closed set of cans? Then I would understand all this talk about portable dacs and the HD800 better.

Strange question I know, just curious... what it would sound like... no I'm not going to do it...
rolleyes.gif

I guess cupping your hands around the outside while wearing them gives a pretty good approximation.

Cupping your hands around them makes them sound like crap.
wink.gif

Amazing how bad they sound when you cover the grill 

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #9,743 of 29,010
I have had good success placing a medium size cardboard box over my head.  Make sure to leave approx. 6 inches on either side.  Just remember to poke some air holes.

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #9,746 of 29,010
I always read that the STAX SR-009 is better than HD800 , i wonder in what way are they better, and how much in % are they better?

At this level, I believe no phones is a complete improvement over another. Unlike what the T1 is to the DT880, The SR-009 may be a better overall cans, but there might still be some areas where the HD800 have the upper hand (Soundstage and maybe, detail retrieval?)

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #9,747 of 29,010

At this level, I believe no phones is a complete improvement over another. Unlike what the T1 is to the DT880, The SR-009 may be a better overall cans, but there might still be some areas where the HD800 have the upper hand (Soundstage and maybe, detail retrieval?)

Have you heard the SR-009?

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #9,748 of 29,010
HD800 is better in detail retrieval and depth presentation by far, IMHO, FWIW, m2c, GFY, etc. Also hits with more impact in the lower bass (depending upon amp). HD800 allows one to use SET amps if one likes that sound (although Frank Cooter did once make a great SET electrostatic amp, I doubt such will ever enter commercial production.) SR009 tonal response, transient response, speed, and cleanness (low distortion) is better than HD800. Pick your poison.

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #9,749 of 29,010
Apr 2, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #9,750 of 29,010
  HD800 is better in detail retrieval and depth presentation by far, IMHO, FWIW, m2c, GFY, etc. Also hits with more impact in the lower bass (depending upon amp). HD800 allows one to use SET amps if one likes that sound (although Frank Cooter did once make a great SET electrostatic amp, I doubt such will ever enter commercial production.) SR009 tonal response, transient response, speed, and cleanness (low distortion) is better than HD800. Pick your poison.

What are some good SET amps for the HD800?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back