The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 2, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #9,766 of 29,017
  Do you use the cavalli to run the HD800's? 

No, it's solely an electrostatic amp. I use my NuForce DAC-100 to power my HD-800, and it's actually a great sounding combination in my opinion (highly recommended by Jude and other head-fi'ers). The DAC-100 is around $1000 and the Liquid Lightning around $5000, so I guess it's not really a fair comparison. I could definitely get a TOTL dynamic amplifier and the HD-800 would sound better than it does now, and it would probably get closer in overall sound quality to the SR-009, but I can't imagine the SR-009 still not sounding better. At that point we're almost splitting hairs I suppose (but that's one thing about Summit-Fi, right?). I'm just happy I'm fortunate enough to own and listen to both headphones. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #9,767 of 29,017

I have both and I would say that the SR-009 is the better sounding headphone, but not by a whole lot. I would say an HD-800 is 90% of an SR-009. And given the cost, the HD-800 is much better value, especially since you need an electrostatic amp for the SR-009. The HD800 has better imaging, a larger soundstage and is more comfortable. I think that anyone here who really likes the HD-800 will really like the SR-009 as well, they both sound great on pretty much all genres and have a similar tonal balance.

Have you used another amp beyond the LLMk1? It certainly wasn't the final word with the SR-007/9s in amp'ing IMO. 
redface.gif
 It was previously mentioned that the HD800s have more detail...I can't agree with this as I'm still hearing things on my favourite recordings that the HD800/GS-X MK2 have seemed to have missed. In terms of soundstaging, the HD800s are still tops in my books. Both are outstanding examples of engineering at its finest. 

Apr 2, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #9,768 of 29,017
  Have you used another amp beyond the LLMk1? It certainly wasn't the final word with the SR-007/9s in amp'ing IMO. 
redface.gif
 It was previously mentioned that the HD800s have more detail...I can't agree with this as I'm still hearing things on my favourite recordings that the HD800/GS-X MK2 have seemed to have missed. In terms of soundstaging, the HD800s are still tops in my books. Both are outstanding examples of engineering at its finest. 

I would love to hear what you think of the DNA Stratus with HD800. You haven't heard it tough have you? 

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #9,771 of 29,017
Do i detect a hint of tube lust there MH? I thought you had gone "SS only" for non-electrostats!
wink.gif

Not really, just curious to hear it. The GS-X Mk2 is truly end-game territory. FWIW, I've also gone tube-free for stats too. 
redface.gif

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #9,772 of 29,017
  Not really, just curious to hear it. The GS-X Mk2 is truly end-game territory. FWIW, I've also gone tube-free for stats too. 
redface.gif

May I ask if you have specific reasons for it? Is it distortion?

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #9,773 of 29,017

May I ask if you have specific reasons for it? Is it distortion?

Main reason...simplicity of life. Not having to constantly scour for expensive tubes that can go microphonic on you or outright die (I've had this happen way too many times over the years and I DON'T want to know how much $ I've spent chasing that rabbit). And finally, not having to wait for 30 minutes for the amp to fully warm up is also very convenient.

Plus after a year + with the GS-X Mk2, the clarity and detail has been very satisfying that I haven't even considered any changes/additions.

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #9,774 of 29,017
May I ask what are those priorities of yours that align with the 009's faults? I'm guessing one of them is comfort?

Comfort? Eh.. not really, but I suppose that is one factor in which the HD800 has a small advantage. My problem is with the soundstage, primarily. Some people, like Purrin, concede soundstage to the land of speakers, and it doesn't count for much in their evaluation of headphones. I'm on the other side, where I think headphones can at least compete with, or even surpass (with CIEMs) speakers in perceived soundstage. Headphones like SR-009s (and virtually all other stat/planar magnetic, and most dynamics) give me the classic headphone hall effect where sound comes from left and right, perhaps slightly in front (around 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock), but many lack a seamless transition from 10 to 2, some not even having a focused center (for vocals, mostly).

For full size headphones the only one that is anywhere near acceptable is the HD800 in this regard. It has a perfectly focused center and is decently seamless from 10 to 2, though not perfect. This is mostly due to the angled drivers, I would guess. I should think any properly set up speaker rig would out-do HD800s in soundstage, but not significantly. HD800s don't require precision placement in the room, or room treatments, and while expensive in the realm of headphones, are relatively cheap compared to a speaker rig capable of what I'm talking about. I've heard some speaker rigs with very natural soundstage. It is a nice experience, but it can be surpassed, especially with certain genres. Electronic music with CIEMs at the top of the soundstage food chain is truly magical. Speakers can't do this holographic imaging with this music. I will say speakers probably have the edge when it comes to music recorded acoustically, rather than virtually (electronic music), though CIEMs are no slouch in that regard either.

So getting back to the SR-009, this hall effect (like I'm literally standing in a hallway with the soundwaves almost exclusively bouncing from the nearby wall to my ears, very little making it direct from source to ears), ruins my experience with a phenomenal piece of engineering. In addition to soundstage, I find it is too polite, lacking excitement, and the bass is slightly lacking in foundation. A softer, smoother bass, that is well layered and detailed, but not ultimately convincing. It is certainly one of the best headphones out there, but as I said, it's main flaw is my top priority. IMO, the Abyss is it's evil twin. It gets the bass foundation and aggression completely right, but misses the boat on detail and treble extension/quantity. Both, however fail the soundstage criteria.

Apr 2, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #9,777 of 29,017
redface.gif

Not yet, unfortunately. You can mean they can even sound better than they already do?!

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #9,778 of 29,017
Going to buy a HD800 sometime in the future, just need to clarify some things:

Stock Cable - Thoughts? Good enough permanently, good enough until upgrade or should be replaced immediately? I'll give the stock cable a chance for sure when I get it, but would also like to know in advance if I need to save extra for a cable.

Revisions - I've read here and there about a 6 kHz decrease and more bass boost in comparison to the old models. Roughly when did that happen, in case I find a used one going in the lower serial number. How has the sound changed over the 20,000+ headphones?

Warranty - I've had to repair my Audeze and Hifiman stuff quite a few times, luckily I was under warranty. How are the HD800 generally considered with these types of issue. I am guessing this should a non issue with these, but would still like to get my peace of mind from the members here.

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #9,779 of 29,017
So you're saying that the HD800 are better than-SR-009?

For me, yes.

Going to buy a HD800 sometime in the future, just need to clarify some things:

Stock Cable - Thoughts? Good enough permanently, good enough until upgrade or should be replaced immediately? I'll give the stock cable a chance for sure when I get it, but would also like to know in advance if I need to save extra for a cable.

Revisions - I've read here and there about a 6 kHz decrease and more bass boost in comparison to the old models. Roughly when did that happen, in case I find a used one going in the lower serial number. How has the sound changed over the 20,000+ headphones?

Warranty - I've had to repair my Audeze and Hifiman stuff quite a few times, luckily I was under warranty. How are the HD800 generally considered with these types of issue. I am guessing this should a non issue with these, but would still like to get my peace of mind from the members here.

Stock cable works well, but it's physical characteristics are rather annoying. If I planned to use it full time in unbalanced configuration I would get another cable.

There are no revisions and no sound changes to the HD800. Any variance is simply testing or manufacturing tolerance.

I've yet to see someone mention they needed a warranty repair on an HD800. They are extremely reliable.

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #9,780 of 29,017
For me, yes.
Stock cable works well, but it's physical characteristics are rather annoying. If I planned to use it full time in unbalanced configuration I would get another cable.

There are no revisions and no sound changes to the HD800. Any variance is simply testing or manufacturing tolerance.

I've yet to see someone mention they needed a warranty repair on an HD800. They are extremely reliable.

The most important thing. Check.

What physical aspect of the cable is bothersome to you? Also, yes, I'll be using the HD800 in single ended mode. Is it a sound issue or a bad cable design like the stock Hifiman cable kind of problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back